Warmoth parts came today. Not very satisfied with locking nut shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since I visit Warmoth page almost daily (at least before actually ordering something haha) to make new ideas for parts to order... I would have noticed if they announced any kind of change in fret beveling, but I've never seen that. So how would I supposed to know that they have exegarated the beveling, since my previous necks haven't been like that?

It's like a clothes company who people have bought stuff from online a lot, and then decides to add spikes inside their pants that's not visible when ordering.

"but the info is on the page" (<--- deep into the page that is)

But you changed it without announcing it, behind the backs of customers who trust you...

I always liked Warmoth for consistency and now their are inconsistent.

I don't think they've changed that angle. I've never seen frets with square ends from them, and I've seen a helluva lotta Warmoth necks. Even when you buy beveling tools, they're designed to put a 30-35 degree angle on the end.

s-t229-200.png

Fret_Beveling_File.jpg

420325.jpg

This is so once they're dressed, the neck is comfortable to play. This isn't a Warmoth convention; squared ends would be obtrusive, so everybody angles them.

Cagey said:
I don't think they've changed that angle. I've never seen frets with square ends from them, and I've seen a helluva lotta Warmoth necks. Even when you buy beveling tools, they're designed to put a 30-35 degree angle on the end.

This is so once they're dressed, the neck is comfortable to play. This isn't a Warmoth convention; squared ends would be obtrusive, so everybody angles them.

The problem here is I have always got enough room on my previous necks, without asking for something special.

And now the fret angle is way too much, on ALL necks.

Actually, the fourth neck (the gonco ancales) doesn't have as much angle, and that one was ordered now together with the others.

So they do NOT have 30 degree angle on all fret ends, it seems completely random.

I could have been fine with the angle that the gonco ancales neck have, but that neck isn't even mine.

My and the other floyd necks have the same over angled ends, that I never recieved before.

THat's my whole point. Why did they change this behind ones back? I trusted Warmoth in delivering consistant products but instead I get something I never expected!

EDIT!!!!!!

All new necks including gonco alcaves may have the same angle, but I percepted it diferentl since that neck as smaller frets, which make the "cutted area" smaller.

Crap... I just realized I fitted a nut (only on my neck tho!) to check the fret end spacing for the strings...

Does this disallow return? I think so... So I guess that's it, I'm stuck with a neck I'm (maybe) going to dislike... :(
NOBODY likes strings that keeps slipping of the fretboard!!!!!

8vp89x.jpg

Quit emoting online and get in contact with Warmoth.

They may do some wonderful customer service and help you out. Particularly if you have bought so many parts from them in the past.

If you keep throwing rocks at them through negative comments on this Thread, it makes it harder for them to believe they should help you.

Red Rocks has already offered to take your email enquiry....

Dear ol dad has a story he liked to tell:

A man has a flat tire one night out in a rural area, discovers he doesn't have a jack in his car. He see one house a couple miles off in the distance with a light on. So he starts walking, hoping to borrow a jack. After walking about 10 minutes, he sees the light turn off. He starts thinking, they just went to bed. By the time I get there they'll just be going to sleep. 15 minutes later he's been stewing on this, thinking about how angry they must be at being woken up. Finally, he gets up to the house, picks up a rock and throws it through the window and yells "YOU CAN KEEP YOUR STUPID JACK IF THAT'S HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT!"

They've already reached out to you. I'd talk to them about it before doing anything else in public, give them a chance to straighten things out.

A friend come over to my house and I measured the string spacing between high E and fret bevel; it was ALSO about 1.5mm.

So I think I have over-thinked this completely

1.5mm might be enough maybe? It's not like one is purposely bending the outer strings towards the edge... That's something you wanna avoid doing, haha.

Sorry guys, I hope you understand my frustration tho; I mean, I put a lot of money and hope into this, and get something I really didn't expect, since I've had totally different experiences with Warmoths products in the past.

I really don't want to be unfriendly, but I do have some temper at times, I put so much passion into my guitars and if something doesn't meet my expectations it really feels like it's the end of the world.

Now instead I try to see things positively;

1. There are some guys in Sweden who has offered help. I'm considering one of them now.
2. Fret end angles might not be such a big problem as I make it out to be. When I measured it everything that was going through my head was "STRINGS SLIPPING OFF THE EDGE! STRINGS SLIPPING OFF THE EDGE!" but after that guy came by with his guitar that had almost as little space as my Warmoth will have, it didn't feel so exterme anymore.

I have calmed down now and I'm really sorry for my outburst...

Before your last post, I was just going to say, before you get your panties all twisted, have you tried playing the neck before you decided the fret angle is too much? You may not even notice the difference when you're palying.

Timmsie95 said:
Before your last post, I was just going to say, before you get your panties all twisted, have you tried playing the neck before you decided the fret angle is too much? You may not even notice the difference when you're palying.

I hope there's space enough for the frets.

No, I don't have anything to the guitars except the body, pickguard and neck yet... I'll order the rest stuff soon enough :)

Cederick said:
A friend come over to my house and I measured the string spacing between high E and fret bevel; it was ALSO about 1.5mm.

So I think I have over-thinked this completely

1.5mm might be enough maybe? It's not like one is purposely bending the outer strings towards the edge... That's something you wanna avoid doing, haha.

Sorry guys, I hope you understand my frustration tho; I mean, I put a lot of money and hope into this, and get something I really didn't expect, since I've had totally different experiences with Warmoths products in the past.

I really don't want to be unfriendly, but I do have some temper at times, I put so much passion into my guitars and if something doesn't meet my expectations it really feels like it's the end of the world.

Now instead I try to see things positively;

1. There are some guys in Sweden who has offered help. I'm considering one of them now.
2. Fret end angles might not be such a big problem as I make it out to be. When I measured it everything that was going through my head was "STRINGS SLIPPING OFF THE EDGE! STRINGS SLIPPING OFF THE EDGE!" but after that guy came by with his guitar that had almost as little space as my Warmoth will have, it didn't feel so exterme anymore.

I have calmed down now and I'm really sorry for my outburst...

You may have also not considered returning the neck because of Swedish Customs issues? Have you contacted them & asked them about duties/tariffs if you return an item back overseas? I find it hard to accept that Swedish Customs will charge you twice for the same piece of equipment if it is returned overseas for a warranty claim..? There must be some way the duties you paid when the neck came in, can be accounted for if you send the neck back to Warmoth and returned later?

Just a quick random thought here but, could it be that the original nut that you're comparing to is an L3 (narrow spacing) and the one that you're using on the new neck is an L4 (standard spacing)? Would that account for the difference in the space to the fret ends?

I have always and will always use R4.

My previous necks was specced for R4 shelves; and they were low enough, and I could shim them up.

The new necks was ALSO specced for R4 shelves but they was too high.

Very inconsistant

But the thing that really makes me sad is the completely different fret end angle :( I never got so much beveling on my previous necks :( and this is not fixable with any other method than a complete refret which is going to cost a fortune in itself :( why would they just change it like that :(

I've now shipped the 3 necks to Warmoth and hope they will sort the shelf issue out.  :)

Every dude who does the fret work at warmoth's does that by hand, by himself. They all have their own ways. I've got over 20 warmoth necks here and each of them is slightly different but with enough wiggle room on the fret left for the strings. I think you're being overly sensitive about it.

About the floyd route: dude. what the fudge. That's a matter of 1/10ths of millimeters. It's fudging timber! That stuff expands and contracts, it moves. Even when the holes are routed. If you want a guitar thats build to the Nth degree, get an Aristides. That's made of a kitchen counter top (uhm... I meant, Arium!) and that material doesn't move or shift at all.

About the shelf: perhaps it's a different style of neck, a different timber that may require a different shelf? I don't know. I doubt they changed their CNC programming just to tick customers off (changing a cnc program isn't easy by the way). Just get a file with a flat edge on one side and file it away. Dude, that's like 15 minutes work.

About the frets, one last thing. Warmoth's frets are supposed to be leveled, crowned and polished. THey're not meant to be played straight out of the box! I really don't understand why you'd yell at them before you even took the time to do a proper fret job. By filing a bit off the top the usable area of the fret gets widened anyway.

Also, I rarely come to this forum anymore but I do notice one thing: every time I get back you have a thread open where you complain to high heaven about Warmoth's products. Perhaps that's just coincidence, but it's annoying as hell. Either learn how to work with guitars and stop whining or give it out to someone trained in the matter and stop whining anyway.

Warmoth not properly rolling the fretboard edges, bevelling the fret ends or crowning the top of the frets has been a common complaint for years; these are things which are common on most guitars and every other 'parts' company does for free. Looks like they finally started doing it too, and they do it to the one person who doesn't want it! :laughing7:

The nut shelf height is probably to get the Floyd nuts in line with how Warmoth does all their other nuts. It's better to have a nut slot/shelf which is too high and shave it down to suit you, than have one cut too low which you then have to shim upwards. Not everybody wants the lowest action possible, even with Floyds. You're meant to adjust parts to suit your needs, not use them straight out of the box, and in that sense a higher nut is better than a low one.

I understand your frustration, but it seems to me that there's nothing going on here but Warmoth adjusting to suit more people, and you happen to be one of the minority who has directly opposite needs.

Dare I say, there are other parts companies who have these kinds of things as easily-selectable options, so if it turns out Warmoth has permanently shifted to a construction/set up style which isn't convenient for you, there are other people you could buy from who could do the lower shelf and unrolled fretboards you want.

Ace Flibble said:
Warmoth not properly rolling the fretboard edges, bevelling the fret ends or crowning the top of the frets has been a common complaint for years; these are things which are common on most guitars and every other 'parts' company does for free. Looks like they finally started doing it too, and they do it to the one person who doesn't want it! :laughing7:

The nut shelf height is probably to get the Floyd nuts in line with how Warmoth does all their other nuts. It's better to have a nut slot/shelf which is too high and shave it down to suit you, than have one cut too low which you then have to shim upwards. Not everybody wants the lowest action possible, even with Floyds. You're meant to adjust parts to suit your needs, not use them straight out of the box, and in that sense a higher nut is better than a low one.

I understand your frustration, but it seems to me that there's nothing going on here but Warmoth adjusting to suit more people, and you happen to be one of the minority who has directly opposite needs.

Dare I say, there are other parts companies who have these kinds of things as easily-selectable options, so if it turns out Warmoth has permanently shifted to a construction/set up style which isn't convenient for you, there are other people you could buy from who could do the lower shelf and unrolled fretboards you want.
Yeah :(

I really prefer having the shelf too low so I can shim exactly to where I like my action; which is SUPER LOW.
With super low I mean all strings almost touching the 1st fret. I like only having to barely touch the strings to get a note.
Of course, if it buzzes, I will raise 0.1mm but that usually does the trick. I don't mind a little buzz, it doesn't come trhough the amp much anyway. Shimming to taste is much easier than getting the shelf milled down. Not everybody can do that...

Shimming doesn't even affect the tone or sustain much, if at all. If it does, then it's not enough to make me change my mind about shimming.

Well I know M*sikfraft has very visible options on their online build page for fret edges; which would have been a GREAT thing if Warmoth had it more visible too. But now it was hidden, and since I never had this problem before, how in the world could I know they would make the necks different this time?  :tard:

If Warmoth lowers the shelves just like my first necks I ordered, I have this feeling I REALLY want to order something new, and specify that I want a low shelf and non-beveled fret ends and get everything perfect out of the box  :toothy12:

However I would rather prefer how the frets was made on my earlier necks. It may have the same angle, but it's much higher up, the angle STARTING at the fretboard edge, while the new necks have the angle going down a lot further into the neck, making less play surface on the fret...

I think you made your point already.  I don't think you'll get everyone to share your view however.

Ace Flibble said:

Go to Warmoth webpage on neck construction you will see they actually specify what they do AND mention if you don't want them to do, to contact them.... Go back a page or two on this Thread and see my past comments...

Re-Pete said:
Go to Warmoth webpage on neck construction you will see they actually specify what they do AND mention if you don't want them to do, to contact them.... Go back a page or two on this Thread and see my past comments...
1) That's new, which confirms my theory that they are changing to meet the more popular requests.
2) 'Contact us' is still not as convenient as such things being included as part of the standard online order forms.
3) I ain't the one complaining about them finally bothering to address the fret ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back