Warmoth parts came today. Not very satisfied with locking nut shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orpheo said:
Every dude who does the fret work at warmoth's does that by hand, by himself. They all have their own ways. I've got over 20 warmoth necks here and each of them is slightly different but with enough wiggle room on the fret left for the strings. I think you're being overly sensitive about it.

About the floyd route: dude. what the flip. That's a matter of 1/10ths of millimeters. It's flipping timber! That stuff expands and contracts, it moves. Even when the holes are routed. If you want a guitar thats build to the Nth degree, get an Aristides. That's made of a kitchen counter top (uhm... I meant, Arium!) and that material doesn't move or shift at all.

About the shelf: perhaps it's a different style of neck, a different timber that may require a different shelf? I don't know. I doubt they changed their CNC programming just to tick customers off (changing a cnc program isn't easy by the way). Just get a file with a flat edge on one side and file it away. Dude, that's like 15 minutes work.

About the frets, one last thing. Warmoth's frets are supposed to be leveled, crowned and polished. THey're not meant to be played straight out of the box! I really don't understand why you'd yell at them before you even took the time to do a proper fret job. By filing a bit off the top the usable area of the fret gets widened anyway.

Also, I rarely come to this forum anymore but I do notice one thing: every time I get back you have a thread open where you complain to high heaven about Warmoth's products. Perhaps that's just coincidence, but it's annoying as hell. Either learn how to work with guitars and stop whining or give it out to someone trained in the matter and stop whining anyway.

Hey Orpheo, glad to see you buddy!  Hope that the world is treating you well and you have many many orders for guitars.

Er, don't you think that's a bit harsh?  IMHO of course...

Ace Flibble said:
Re-Pete said:
Go to Warmoth webpage on neck construction you will see they actually specify what they do AND mention if you don't want them to do, to contact them.... Go back a page or two on this Thread and see my past comments...
1) That's new, which confirms my theory that they are changing to meet the more popular requests.
2) 'Contact us' is still not as convenient as such things being included as part of the standard online order forms.
3) I ain't the one complaining about them finally bothering to address the fret ends.
I know you weren't the one having an issue, but it is clearly something that has been on a webpage waiting for people to update themselves on.

The devil is in the detail with Cederick's orders, but if that webpage was up before he ordered, how do you think you'd receive his complaint if you ran Warmoth? I mean, they've done their best to inform their customers  :dontknow:

I concur with you Orpheo & Re-Pete.

Just something to add, for perspective.

Schaller is not consistent with all of their locking nuts.  I found this out when I worked there.  For example, the 2 mounting holes vary in distance from one another, nut by nut.  Not sure why, but it is the norm it seems for Schaller, who makes the OFR nut as well as the Schaller version of the licensed Floyd.  They are one in the same.

Having said that, it is always best to do the final setup with the actual nut that will be installed.

Warmoth makes guitar parts for the reasonably skilled builder.  Those who have been able to mount a neck and find it playable to their standards have been quite fortunate, but that is not the norm any more that most of your retail purchased off the Guitar Center rack Fenders and Gibsons are set up professionally at the factory, 'cause they aren't.  If you have exacting standards for your guitar setup, then you will either need the skill to perform such a setup, or you will need to hire someone who is skilled, to do so.

One must always ask themselves: "Do I have the skill and tools to get this instrument to play to my exacting standards"?  If the answer is no, don't get emotionally driven to blame the manufacturer for not meeting all of those exacting standards for you.

You know what - from what TFS said I wonder if the problem is a bad tolerance of the floyd nut - it's made too thick.  If so, then the best solution is to mill down the floyd nut a bit.  Now that could be done easily by a local machine shop "just take 10 thou off the bottom". 

If it's not too late, that might be your solution.

Re-Pete said:
Ace Flibble said:
Re-Pete said:
Go to Warmoth webpage on neck construction you will see they actually specify what they do AND mention if you don't want them to do, to contact them.... Go back a page or two on this Thread and see my past comments...
1) That's new, which confirms my theory that they are changing to meet the more popular requests.
2) 'Contact us' is still not as convenient as such things being included as part of the standard online order forms.
3) I ain't the one complaining about them finally bothering to address the fret ends.
I know you weren't the one having an issue, but it is clearly something that has been on a webpage waiting for people to update themselves on.

The devil is in the detail with Cederick's orders, but if that webpage was up before he ordered, how do you think you'd receive his complaint if you ran Warmoth? I mean, they've done their best to inform their customers  :dontknow:

Changing info on a page that people probably don't visit is not "done their best".
If they would have mailed every customers email something like:

"Hello everybody! We have now changed our fret ends due to popular demand. It's not beveled further than before, but you can still order the necks without the bevel if you specify that in the order.

Thanks, Warmoth"

THAT would be helpful, at least for returning customers, then I would never had a problem in the first place. But now they made the changes, and ask yourself for real now; How do they expect everybody to chime in on the fret ends page? It's not like it's the most exciting page on their homepage.

I regularly visit the online builder, and nowhere does it even mention fret ends. On Musikraft online builder, they have a specific box for how the customer wants their fret ends. That should be visible at Warmoth too. :)

And I understand that some people wants their frets this way, so don't get me wrong there.
What I didn't like was the under surface change, that they never told clearly to their customers.

I have ordered several necks before, and I expected my necks to arrive just like I have got them before.
Do you see my point?  :dontknow:

Actually Musikraft do not have a drop down for fret bevel, they do have a drop down for fret board edge roll. Two different things.

I'm sure everyone does see your point. But just because most don't agree with it is not a reason to keep going on about it.

Especially as Warmoth are going to go the extra mile to sort out your issue.

You could have also easily have made a note in the comments section to ask for the ends to be left square.  But you didn't.

This really has gone way too far. I stopped following this post about a week ago.
This one thread is making the forum feel like the rest of the forums.
I don't know what you think you're accomplishing by continuing to complain to us about your experience. We have all made it clear that we disagree with you, and your case is rare, yet you continue to go on about it.

On the bright side, you listened to us (eventually), and sent them back to be worked on.

Indeed. Time to bid this one adieu.

11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back