warmoth guitar weight

DNG67

Hi guys!!

New to the forum!

Well, i'm thinking to built a warmoth strat. Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, wilkinson, H-S-S config (w.pickguard), sperzels

I want this axe mostly for gigs and as i am getting older (... :binkybaby:) i would like it to don't weigh over 7 lbs total. I don't know if this is possible but can you tell me an ideal body weight for this project? I know that warmoth don't provide neck weight in their site but only body weights.
If i assume that neck AND hardware is around 3.5 lbs do i have to look for a 3.5 lbs body? is that correct?
Any help?

>If i assume that neck AND hardware is around 3.5 lbs do i have to look for a 3.5 lbs body? is that correct?

a major seller of strat parts on ebay told me that a neck weighs only 2 lbs - so with tuners i think it should be around 2 1/2 lbs.

also apart from the body you will have the bridge/knobs/electronics/pickups/pickguard and assorted nails. so you got to weigh that as well.

but a 3 1/2 lbs body imo should probably get you a strat with a total weight of 7 lbs.

i got a warmoth jazzmaster body 4 lbs in weight. but even that turned out quite light.

3.5 lb is probably about right for the non-body stuff, but your choice of parts can make a big difference there too. Look for lightweight tuners and a light bridge in particular. Also, a vintage modern warmoth neck is going to be noticeably lighter than a warmoth pro neck due to the extra truss rod in the warmoth pro designs. Strat bridges can be very light (hardtails or squire junk) to very heavy (steel trem blocks from high end guys like callaham) If you get a hardtail bridge, 3 lb body, light tuners (gotoh makes nice ones), VM maple neck, you may get to 6 lb.

I've seen a few alder bodies around that weight, you could also go basswood, which is generally pretty light weight. Or another option is to have the body chambered (with or without the F-hole)

I'm a fan of heavy guitars, so maybe I should be the last to post a comment on this Thread, but.........

I'd shoot for an alder body around 3.5 to 4.0 lbs max. That should leave you enough weight to get a thicker neck if you wish and the hardware you want.

I'd be careful about going too light and ending up with a guitar that may be neck heavy and dive when not held, some players dislike that.But a Strat body around 3.5 to 4 lbs should be OK with your standard maple/maple or maple/rosewood neck, std. tuners and nut configuration.

Thanks for your inputs guys...
I think also that 3.5 to 4 lbs would be the right weight...

I have two Warmoths:

1. Chambered alder strat: Body weighs 3lbs 2ozs, entire guitar weighs 5lbs 6ozs, with sperzel tuners, SSS pickups, and all maple neck.
2. Chambered basswood tele: Body weighs 3lbs bang on, entire guitar weighs 5lbs 5ozs, with HSH pickups, maple/pau ferro neck, sperzels.

Hope that helps.
Jordan

Back