Walnut Soloist

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
The studs are too big, now i'm stuffed.

Help, what do i do?

Stick the studs in a freezer for a day, the metal will compress. Then take a rubber mallet and tap them in slightly. Should slide right in.

Dunno...

OFR stud diameter: 10.8 mm (http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/pdf/Original_Floyd_Rose_Diagram.pdf)
Gotoh FR stud diameter: 11.3 mm (http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pub/files/pdf/1190042346_GE1996T.pdf)

That's .5 mm difference, to my taste a bit much to just hammer in. In alder or ash, probably yes, but in walnut? On the other hand, if you remove some wood (sandpaper wrapped around the shank of a 10mm drill (or 10.5mm if you have that) you absolutely don't want to remove too much wood!!

And to make things even more fun, this http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/gotoh-floyd-rose-62559.html thread on Jemsite has some people saying that they did a simple drop-in swap of an OFR for a Gotoh FR...

Maybe we should have a vote...

The reason people say it's just a drop in fit is that they're not doing anything to the studs, they're just using the same ones and swapping the bridge.

On another note, My mum has been sending requests for my neck to Warmoth, she came up with the idea that it's my X-mas present. :toothy10:

On another note, My mum has been sending requests for my neck to Warmoth, she came up with the idea that it's my X-mas present. :toothy10:

That's amazing!
My moming is making requests too, for my christimas present:
oven, refrigerators, sofa, bed............ Nothing as cool as a rosewood W neck  :sad:

The freezer one sounded good.

How do i make sure the stud is completely parallel to the body so it goes in without a funky angle?

I would just use a mini level I suppose. What's the difference between the studs and the hole size, i was assuming that the difference was minute! if you freeze it and can't tap it in, don't continue...

NonsenseTele said:

That's amazing!
My moming is making requests too, for my christimas present:
oven, refrigerators, sofa, bed............ Nothing as cool as a rosewood W neck  :sad:
Well my mom... no clue. Probably nothing as cool as a rosewood neck. If I get lucky, maybe a pedal or two. If I get extremely lucky, maybe a blackheart amp.

I'm puttin the studs in the freezer now.......................

Okay. That's WAY more information than I needed...

RLW said:

Right, I don't get, but it seems I don't want to. I'm hoping you just mean i'm being a bit too informative.

Re-phrase I'm putting the studs for the floyd rose tremolo in the freezer now.

RLW said:

Right, I don't get, but it seems I don't want to. I'm hoping you just mean i'm being a bit too informative.

Phew! Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking you might be one of those "Fancy Boys"!

(There's a reference few will get...)

RLW said:
RLW said:

Phew! Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking you might be one of those "Fancy Boys"!

(There's a reference few will get...)
:confused4:

Studs are way too big, i mean way big, no way they're ever gonna fit. So i'm ordering some different ones from Warmoth.  :-\ lets hope these work.

Would this be what the guys at Warmoth are referring to with this little sentence on their website:

"There are many bridges made under Floyd Rose patents.
Unfortunately, their physical dimensions are not uniform.
We only offer routing for the original Floyd Rose tremolo and for the Schaller Floyd Rose tremolo, both of which we sell."

ByteFrenzy said:
Would this be what the guys at Warmoth are referring to with this little sentence on their website:

"There are many bridges made under Floyd Rose patents.
Unfortunately, their physical dimensions are not uniform.
We only offer routing for the original Floyd Rose tremolo and for the Schaller Floyd Rose tremolo, both of which we sell."
I know, but I was hoping.

They're aren't too many Christmas gifts that will be given out this year that'll get used as much as that one will.  Tell Mom she rocks!  :headbang1:

Blue313 said:
They're aren't too many Christmas gifts that will be given out this year that'll get used as much as that one will.  Tell Mom she rocks!  :headbang1:
I have many times. :icon_thumright:

It'll be 4-6 weeks until it's done, then 1-2 weeks shipping, I think

Back