Volume knob mistake.

DangerousR6 said:
ByteFrenzy said:
You don't really need the tone pots - a pot that's fully rotated in one direction can be replaced by a resistor of the same value.
A tone pot is just used to bleed the highs to ground by means of a cap.

As for moving the vol pot, you're not going to fill the existing hole without it standing out. That body's also far too nice for a PG. How about moving the pot and using the old hole to mount something else? A jack, or just the insert from a knob like you've got on there?
I was thinking the same thing, just redrill for new pot and put a mini toggle switch, it doesn't have to be hooked up, unless you might want to split the hum... :dontknow:

Yes,I might try this.I wouldnt mind being able to split the humbucker from time to time.

I went back back to the pickgaurd picture and other than covering wood...it seems it could give you the answer to everything talked about...room to change sound responce AND the barely talked about problem you have (as I do) with "the vol. knob is in the way". Pickgaurd looks very exceptable and clean.

First thing I'll do, I would try different knobs. Check the minis here http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/guitarknobs_metaldomeknobs.htm They are very small and short, smaller than you think. I know because I ordered them and didn't use em because of the small size :-\  If it's not working I would take the potentiometer out and see (for a few days) if the hole is bothering me. Last thing I'll do is put a pickguard on this body.

As far as 250k VS 500k first read this http://www.andersonguitars.com/vintage.html and then check Suhr's version of vintage voicing http://www.suhrguitars.com/images/hUMV60V60vt.pdf http://www.suhrguitars.com/images/hUMV60V602tone.pdf

sbk12 said:
Does anyone have any idea how long it would take to get a customized pickguard made and shipped to me?

I wouldn't do it.  First off, without removing the wood that the controls are mounted in now and making it a top rout, putting the pickguard on top and having the controls go through it presents it's own problems.  The pots would have to be long shaft which is simple enough, but the slot for the blade switch would have to be longer because the travel is further the more you move away from the pivot point of the switch.  Also, the blade isn't long enough to keep the plastic tip on it when in anything other than middle position.  The position of the switch in the body and that of the pickguard is a default location and probably close to same place, but to put the pickguard on it and have the blade switch line up as well as everything else is asking alot.  The tolerances would have to be on a gnat's ass.

I'd Move the knob to whatever location you like and plug the hole, if your not sure what to plug it with or what else to do, leave the hole there for a few months while you think about it,  in the meantime enjoy the guitar.

I agree with Tfarny about the pots, not gonna make a big difference in the values,

Ok,so I tried a smaller volume knob and it didnt do the trick.The only way to solve the problem is to move the knob.I got in touch with a gentleman that works for a company called High Tech Eletronics(guitar guy) and he is going to help me with this problem.I am thinking that I will just move the knob and put in a mini toogle for coil splitting and then see what we can do about the sounds with what I have(maybe a treble bleed?) and worse case scenerio is get some different pups.Maybe a humbucker in a single configuration or something.I think this route will be the most painless.

The toggle's still going to be in the same place as the knob that bothers you.... I'd just plug it with something, probably not trying to match the wood. Once you get it up and running right, it's not going to bother you, it's going to remind you of how nice it is to have it up and running right. All my rewires and modifications are battle scars - Thomas Edison made, what, 1,999 sucky lightbulbs before he made his first good one - hopefully your odds will be a bit higher... :toothy12:

stubhead said:
The toggle's still going to be in the same place as the knob that bothers you.... I'd just plug it with something, probably not trying to match the wood. Once you get it up and running right, it's not going to bother you, it's going to remind you of how nice it is to have it up and running right. All my rewires and modifications are battle scars - Thomas Edison made, what, 1,999 sucky lightbulbs before he made his first good one - hopefully your odds will be a bit higher... :toothy12:

You make a good point.I played the thing with just the point sticking up last night and the knob off and it wasnt so bad(kinda like having a mini-toggle),but your right,it would probably still bother me.Its a shame I couldnt just plug it and then cover it with some kind of small decorative piece.

I'd really hate to see it drilled and cut up and stuff.

Hey, since it's not *exactly* how you want it, instead of cutting it or drilling it, why not sell it and use the $$$ for a Warmoth you *really* want?

That way it wouldn't get hacked and someone who doesn't mind the close vol knob would dig it.  And you'd have funds for what you really want.

Superlizard said:
I'd really hate to see it drilled and cut up and stuff.

Hey, since it's not *exactly* how you want it, instead of cutting it or drilling it, why not sell it and use the $$$ for a Warmoth you *really* want?

That way it wouldn't get hacked and someone who doesn't mind the close vol knob would dig it.  And you'd have funds for what you really want.
I would sell it,the thing is I dont think I would get NEARLY what I put into it.If I could get within reason I might.The axe has high quality components such as a real OFR,Sperzel Locking tuners,Schaller strap locks,etc.....

sbk12 said:
I would sell it,the thing is I dont think I would get NEARLY what I put into it.If I could get within reason I might.The axe has high quality components such as a real OFR,Sperzel Locking tuners,Schaller strap locks,etc.....

True, but you're still stuck with something that *almost* "has it all".  That's gonna bug ya forever.

It's not like it's typical super strat with pickguard, 3 knobs, etc ... which would make moving things around much easier... you're talking a chunk of naked wood with a vol knob that's in the wrong place for you... there's no easy way out.  Even if you do do a mini-toggle in it's place, you'll have... a mini-toggle switch right there.  Tell me that won't look funky.

IMO - I'm just not seein' it work here (100% satisfaction) without doing extensive modifications (like the pickguard with route)- which'll cost you prolly half or more of what you paid for the whole thing).

I am going to hash it out with this tech I am meeting with this week and see what we can do.I may just drill a new hole,plug the old and fix the electronic issue.I am positive he can fix my pickup/pot issue,so that not a problem.Anyway,it will not hinder me from moving forward with a new project soon.I have already mocked it up and it is frickin SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

Superlizard said:
sbk12 said:
I have already mocked it up and it is frickin SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!

You moved the volume knob on this one, right?   :icon_biggrin:

LOL  yeah...You know I dont even remember being given the option for knob placement when I ordered the body.But I will damn well make sure that every detail will be covered next time.The placement is common for regular strats with single coils.I dont know why someone would even make a body at Warmoth knowing this when it was being routed for a humbucker.Anyway,its not as bad as I make it out to be,its just I am not used to it and little things like that bother me.

The knob is in the normal Strat position, correct?  What if it had two more tone knobs falling right in the nornal locations, would the volume knob still be bothersome, or is it just the fact that it's one knob and so close?  Do other Strat people have the same trouble of the volume knob being too close.

I would relocate the volume pot where preferred and 'fill' the hole with a neat low profile chrome push button switch. Some Fender strats have an additional small button switch located between the tone pots which is used in conjunction with the 5 way switch for extra pickup combinations. Your's wouldn't need to be wired. Of course if there was  circuitry and a battery you could put an LED in there.

Meant to add, is the wood under the knob thick enough to have a circular recess done then have a shallower knob fitted as well? I've seen this done before on a rear routed body.     

Back