Using krylon auto paint for color under clear coat

Eazycheetah

Anyone know about using a Krylon auto paint in a rattle can for a special color over a guitar body?  Think of achieving a Fender international color (Maui Blue, Orange, etc.) like in the early 80s.

Just wondering how it would turn out if I put a solid color over SS and then shot a clear coat of either poly or lacquer...any ideas, success stories, or tragic outcomes to share? 

Thanks!  :guitarplayer2:

If you're set for an aerosol auto paint, try Duplicolor, found in many auto parts places.

I spent over $60 on "sonic blue" aerosols for a repaint of my mim J-bass body, and the place where I work spent $3 per can on some Krylon in a similar hue for a walk-path line near the loading docks. Was close enough for me, and if I could've made it work under all the clear gloss I sprayed, I'd be kicking myself.

I repainted a squier strat using spray paint with clear over it, some parts turned out great and look almost professional, just needs wetsand and buff, but ill never do that,

Advice: go for it, thin coats though :toothy10:

oh and total cost was like 20 bucks and I did a three color evh stripe style paint job, cept its blue, dark blue, and white. ill post pix one day

I repainted an old Carvin using Krylon.  I used it because it was the recommended brand in a book series on how to paint a guitar with spray cans.  I did sanding sealer (Deft) followed by Krylon primer, Krylon bright yellow and Krylon clear--followed by a six week cure period.  The paint looked outstanding after I wetsanded and buffed it it.  Looked completely professional.  About a week later, it looked like smashed glass.  The paint literally cracked into millions of pieces about 1/8" square.  I thought it may be somehow fixable, so I re-polished and buffed and got it looking great again.  Two days later, it looked cracked again.  The author of the book series has since posted on his website that he believes Krylon has made a change to their formulation and he no longer recommends it.

That's just my experience.  Take it for what you want.

heydenkm said:
I repainted an old Carvin using Krylon.  I used it because it was the recommended brand in a book series on how to paint a guitar with spray cans.  I did sanding sealer (Deft) followed by Krylon primer, Krylon bright yellow and Krylon clear--followed by a six week cure period.  The paint looked outstanding after I wetsanded and buffed it it.  Looked completely professional.  About a week later, it looked like smashed glass.  The paint literally cracked into millions of pieces about 1/8" square.  I thought it may be somehow fixable, so I re-polished and buffed and got it looking great again.  Two days later, it looked cracked again.  The author of the book series has since posted on his website that he believes Krylon has made a change to their formulation and he no longer recommends it.

That's just my experience.  Take it for what you want.

I've heard that from a fellow "PYOG" guy ("Dino" from the website). Now he's WAY agains the spray-can method. Crazy how many people this PYOG guy fucked over and continues to...

jeeze and folks pay extra for a Murphy aged lester.... you got cracks for FREE

Back