Upright piano purchasing advice

Mor Paul

Epic Member
So, I think I'll be buying an upright piano soon. Maybe a week.
It's a Craigslist one. $200.

What kind of things should I look for when checking out the piano?
Smooth keys, functional keys and pedals, tuning, and it looking okay, but what else?

Check the hammers and the action. See how fast the hammers reset - play one key over and over quickly. See that the strings don't look really funky or damaged or green. The piano doesn't have to be in perfect tune, just keep in mind that if it is way out of tune, it will take multiple tunings to get it back to normal.

I don't know a whole lot about pianos either, but I do know you should at least take note of these things as a buyer.

Not a piano expert either (except for moving them in my youth, ugh...), but pop the top and look inside with a flashlight. Depending on how and where it's been stored, you may be buying a box of filth, mildew, and animal droppings.

Hey ! I got myself one of those things this summer, drug it home, pulled some muscles, left it on the deck covered with a tarp for a month or so , then gave it away! I almost tore it apart just for the wood, but it was made in 1927, probably pretty dry, but the side panels that measured 18" x 48" roughly were solid pieces of birdseye maple, still cant believe they veneered over that!! a birdseye piano would be really cool. I'd get a nice digital piano, apprx 20 Lbs verses 600-800 Lbs !!

Problem is digital pianos cost between $500 and $3000, but you can get an old upright for $100 or less off Craigslist.

I just like the feel of pianos more. It's more natural feeling. Just seems more right to me.

Ugh please no digital pianos! No variations in tone, no dynamics. It's hard to invoke an emotional response when every single note sounds exactly the same.

Back