Upgrading my soldering iron.

Heft

Hello,
I know there are a lot of these threads out there but most people say to get one at Harbor Freight. Unfortunately I live in Canada and I can't find that store here. I can find them online at Amazon. Is there a better place? My current soldering iron is a not great Amazon find.
Thanks,
Heft

That’s quite similar to the one I have. Will do a good job. Make sure you get a pencil point and some 73/37 solder. Major difference from 60/40.

I've been a Weller fan for several decades. I also live in Canada. I get them from local electronics stores, or Mouser (who offer free shipping to Canada on larger orders). My most recent additions are a WE1010NA station and a W100P3 100W iron for the tough jobs. The WE1010 is a pretty nice station and works very well - but then again I'm soldering all the time so I can justify the cost.

If you just want a basic one for guitar wiring, Then good old Canadian Tire has several - the cheapest being:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...n-0586305p.0586305.html?rq=soldering+iron#srp

It'll work.

I second this. It's the one I've used forever, and unless you are soldering lots of stuff daily I'm not sure you need much more. You can see it on the corner of my bench in this recent vid:

Also quick follow up.
Is this good flux? Times like this you really miss radio shack.
er, why do you need separate flux? Why not just use flux core solder? That works just fine in 99.9% of all the soldering I've ever done.

BTW - in the 0.1% of cases where it's handy to use additional flux (like making traditional blackface fender reverb tank cables for example), you'd use liquid flux, not paste.

Back