Undead Fred: Soloist

fdesalvo

Well, this is one tough color to capture on a camera.  It’s so much more beautiful in person than I was expecting. The inner area is more aqua green and the transition between that and the outer edge is smoother than depicted. 

I’m debating between an ebony/maple or maple/maple warhead neck. Really leaning towards maple. Thinking Birdseye.  Open to suggestions.

Ive got a chrome Schaller Lockmeister en route and need to sort out the pickups and wiring. Cheers! 

ro8dgxt.jpg

1.  That's a gorgeous soloist.  Nice grab, Frank.

2.  My vote on the neck is either maple/maple Warhead or roasted/roasted Warhead.  No markers, either way.  12th-fret only diamonds in black or white pearloid, if you need something to break it up. 

Thanks, man. I really believe the wood is White Korina, but who knows.  All I know is the chatoyance is crazy. Moving the body a slight bit creates beautiful movement in the grain. Really captivated by this one.

That does look good! A simple, clean, lighter colored neck would do it justice. I think ebony would compete with that body and you don't want to pull your eye away from it.

I too vote for maple/maple. And not birdseye, but rather plain light maple (not roasted). That will draw focus to the body and not the neck.

I vote for dotless black Ebony for the same reason, plus it'll add some contrast.

Birdseye maple and ebony would look fine. But I am biased towards that combination.  :icon_thumright:

Really tough decision. I love a plain, black ebony boardnwith stainless frets.  I already have maple and rosewood in two other guitars, so I may have to go for ebony. 

I’m checking to see if they can do a white Korina headstock veneer to attempt a grain match. 

Either ebony fretboard w/ wenge neck, or all bird's eye neck.  Of course, stainless frets.  Black Tusq on the ebony, white tusq on the maple.  Fret dots: Maple gets white pearl, ebony gets either none or abalone.

I'll be the oddball. Go Canary. You can select a piece lighter in color than the typical roasted maple, but not require a finish like unroasted maple. Also it will have a hint of character. Not as much as birds eye, which I think would work well.

Yeah, the Ebony has it. Maple looks a bit anemic against that body's paint scheme.

Ditto on the ebony.  That's a great-looking burst.  I think maybe a goncalo alves / ebony would go nice...

TZ

Back