Arrived today: Mahogany/Koa Soloist (Pics)

just the clear gloss. It's the same effect as when you whipe naptha on the wood when you are cleaning it off....same effect that happens when it rains and your wood fences get wet.

Brian

so basically, what i need to do is :

1 - use grain filler
2 - use sealer
3 - apply clear gloss coats until i get the desired level of shine ?

what i do`nt exactly unerstand is how the koa (and mahogany) can become so dark without using dark grain filler, tints or oils and by just applying clear gloss...

sorry but i`m an idiot when it comes to finishing guitars, i just play them...

Hi
I lived in Hawaii and had Koa trees on my land and as a refinisher and worker of the locoal had woods that is one sick ( good ) guitar, love it, have funnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

*so basically, what i need to do is :

1 - use grain filler
2 - use sealer

what i do`nt exactly unerstand is how the koa (and mahogany) can become so dark without using dark grain filler, tints or oils and by just applying clear gloss...

sorry but i`m an idiot when it comes to finishing guitars, i just play them...*

just take any old peice of wood and wet it up with something and you will see it get darker...this is what it'll look like clear coated.

Brian

Simon D said:
m4rk0 said:
that will be a great guitar! I love the soloist carved top.. I don't understand why you don't see them more often.
and I agree, the plain Koa is so much nicer than flame maple!
oh and love the lamp shade shaped figuring in the wood ;)

I don't get why more people don't do a carved top Soloists either. Even in the gallery on the Warmoth site, most of them seem to be the flat top version.
I'm slightly regretting not having the headstock front veneered with koa too, but I guess there's always the chance that the grain might be vastly different.

The lamp shade is a unique feature, I'm very pleased with it!  :doh:

I bet the lampshade effect is what delayed you getting it sooner. It takes awhile to get that down right... So where's the finished pics....... :dontknow:

eiopago said:
so basically, what i need to do is :

1 - use grain filler
2 - use sealer

sorry but i`m an idiot when it comes to finishing guitars, i just play them...

Both Koa and Mahogany have a realatively wide range of natural coloration/graining. If you look at the links below, they'll bring up all the current Koa items in the Showcase right now and give you a sense of that range. The only "color" applied to the body pictured at the start of this thread I can discern is it appears that the mahogany has been filled with dark filler, can't tell on the Koa side whether that's filled or natural grain coloration.

As you can see by the bodies in the links below, no two Koa tops look exactly alike. I don't see any "pick your own" Koa carve tops you can custom pick for your body; but there are a number of tops to select from for flat tops, there are a couple that have the darker figuring, Given the wide disparity of natural coloring/figuring of Koa, and it's relative scarcity, Warmoth can't guarantee that any piece will be the same as one you've seen in the Showcase or this forum.

Given how much a pain in the ass both Koa and Mahogany are to grain fill, if you don't have any experience finishing guitars or other items made from wood, ordering the Clear Gloss finish from Warmoth might prove both cost and time effective.

Showcase Koa laminate tops:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&menuItem=14&laminateWood_filter=5,6,37

Showcase all Koa bodies:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?type=guitar&menuItem=14&bodyWood_filter=5,6,37

jackthehack said:
Given how much a pain in the ass both Koa and Mahogany are to grain fill, if you don't have any experience finishing guitars or other items made from wood, ordering the Clear Gloss finish from Warmoth might prove both cost and time effective.

+1 on that. Many folks would probably be happier choosing a finished body with woods of these type. Me? I enjoy the the distinct differences/character of woods, so I'm easier to please. My mood and agenda would dictate whether to invest the time on certain woods or go with the finished piece. Lately I've been feeling a little lazy... :laughing7:

BTW - Nice build  :icon_thumright:

*Given how much a pain in the ass both Koa and Mahogany are to grain fill, if you don't have any experience finishing guitars or other items made from wood, ordering the Clear Gloss finish from Warmoth might prove both cost and time effective.*

I agree with jack, it has probably cost me more for sand paper, finish, and other supplies than the $220 I would have paid for a Warmoth finish if I had that option with my build. That being said, if you choose a wood that is relatively easy to finish in clear like maple or walnut, you could probably do the finish on the cheap and still have it look nice.

Brian

I love woody wood, the popsicle finishes are cute to look at for a few minutes but I don't thinks I'd want one in my house. Pretty guitar.

Back