UGH! Dinged between coats (tung oil)...

Liam

Got about 4 coats of oil done on my j-bass body, and while prepping for the 5th, my workbench lamp fell right on it. Dinged the upper horn good, and put some nicks on the front. I sanded them out with 400 grit paper, followed by steel wool, and went ahead with the 5th coat (far away from that damn lamp).

So, after I was done, I took a look at every angle, and it looks fine for the most part (the major ding on the upper horn disappeared), but viewed from and extreme angle, it looks like I didn't get the sanding marks on the front surface out (very faint).

Now my question is, what are the odds of these faint marks disappearing after surface prep for the next coat (steel wool), oiling and subsequent prepping and coats (10 total... 5 more to go)?

Also, after the 10 coats are finished, should I apply more oil to the previously damaged areas, seeing that I probably sanded away most of my previous work (the areas still had a hint of finish after the wool and tack ragging)?

Obviously, this is my first DIY finish, so any help or suggestions is extremely appreciated!

Thanks!

sand the finish off, steam the area, sand it smooth, refinish

the grace with tung is you can reapply and it blends perfectly

Thanks for the tips!

Finished the 10th coat last week, and all signs of the carnage disappeared.

I'll try to attach a few pics (forgive the steel wool dust, waited until the finish cured a bit before blowing it out).

Electronics and hardware should come this week, and the wenge and fretless ebony-fingerboard neck should be here next week. Will definitely post pics when complete!

(BTW, the damage was a fingernail tip-sized nick, on top of the upper horn)

Attachments

• Picture 073.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 341
  • Picture 076.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 320
Thanks! Yeah, it turned out exactly like what I had in mind. A satin sheen, open pore finish. The grain is also luminescent at different angles.

I'm pretty excited! 

-CB- said:
sand the finish off, steam the area, sand it smooth, refinish

the grace with tung is you can reapply and it blends perfectly

Indeed... just sanded and refinished a freshly dinged area on the upper contour.

Back