Tuner tips needed.

deepblue

Guys...
I need to install vintage style Fender tuners on my new neck.
(feel free to call me a wuss here)...but.

1) I'm not certain as to where I should drill the hole for the string tree.
    I dont want to be off my even a half of a mm. Should I string it first and drill once the strings are on?

2) Drilling the holes for the actual tuners themselves.....any tips?

This is my first build guys, be gentle.

1. Who knows? Generally the e/b tree goes between the G and D strings somewhere. Definitely don't drill the hole till you string up, then place the tree where you want it, but on top of the strings, then press down to make a mark and drill there. That will ensure you get it correct laterally.
2. Get them perfectly lined up, use a ruler / straightedge to help out, then tape them down firmly. Drill holes with the tuners taped in place, and screw in the screws as you go. Measure how deep you need to drill, and place a piece of masking tape on the drill bit at that depth, to ensure you don't go through the headstock.
3. Measure twice cut once, go slow, don't force anything. If screws won't go in, back them out and drill a touch more. Don't strip screws or break them off.
4. The first one is never perfect, so just relax. The first one is just the gateway drug.  :icon_thumright:

tfarny said:
The first one is just the gateway drug.  :icon_thumright:

Hahahahaha.  Sad, but oh so true.  :toothy10: :toothy12: :toothy10:

On second thought, not sad to anything but your bank account...

deepblue said:
   I dont want to be off my even a half of a mm. Should I string it first and drill once the strings are on?

YUP!~  Its one of the last things put on.  Just "spot" the hole by pressing the tree down on the strings and making a little mark though its center hole.  Then drill the hole and screw 'er down.

Spot the holes after the tuners are all mounted and lined up.  You can tape them, but what I do is get one in the middle perfect, then just work out to the ends from there, keeping things lined up as I go.  The idea is to have them all set into the bushings, nice and lined up, and keep them that way as each tuner gets drilled and mounted.  I'm also very fond of using a little Milwaukee screwgun with a drill chuck in it, for makeing the holes.  It only spins at something like 300 rpm - pretty slow - and is very easy to control.  You can get a chuck to fit in your favorite slow speed screwgun for about $20.  Lowes and Home Depot have them.  And do mark the drill for depth... dont wanna go too deep here.  If you happen to get a hole in the wrong spot - STOP.  Take out the tuner.  Get a round toothpick and fit it to the hole and glue it in.  Make the piece a tiny bit shorter than it needs to be so you can set it down flush with the neck easily.  Let it dry and drill the hole in the right spot.  The tuner will hide the mistake - unless its a whopper.

tfarny said:
1. Who knows? Generally the e/b tree goes between the G and D strings somewhere. Definitely don't drill the hole till you string up, then place the tree where you want it, but on top of the strings, then press down to make a mark and drill there. That will ensure you get it correct laterally.
2. Get them perfectly lined up, use a ruler / straightedge to help out, then tape them down firmly. Drill holes with the tuners taped in place, and screw in the screws as you go. Measure how deep you need to drill, and place a piece of masking tape on the drill bit at that depth, to ensure you don't go through the headstock.
3. Measure twice cut once, go slow, don't force anything. If screws won't go in, back them out and drill a touch more. Don't strip screws or break them off.
4. The first one is never perfect, so just relax. The first one is just the gateway drug.  :icon_thumright:

=CB= said:
deepblue said:

YUP!~  Its one of the last things put on.  Just "spot" the hole by pressing the tree down on the strings and making a little mark though its center hole.  Then drill the hole and screw 'er down.

Spot the holes after the tuners are all mounted and lined up.  You can tape them, but what I do is get one in the middle perfect, then just work out to the ends from there, keeping things lined up as I go.  The idea is to have them all set into the bushings, nice and lined up, and keep them that way as each tuner gets drilled and mounted.  I'm also very fond of using a little Milwaukee screwgun with a drill chuck in it, for makeing the holes.  It only spins at something like 300 rpm - pretty slow - and is very easy to control.  You can get a chuck to fit in your favorite slow speed screwgun for about $20.  Lowes and Home Depot have them.  And do mark the drill for depth... dont wanna go too deep here.  If you happen to get a hole in the wrong spot - STOP.  Take out the tuner.  Get a round toothpick and fit it to the hole and glue it in.  Make the piece a tiny bit shorter than it needs to be so you can set it down flush with the neck easily.  Let it dry and drill the hole in the right spot.  The tuner will hide the mistake - unless its a whopper.

Very good advise all around here.  Especially the measure twice, cut once theory. 
If there is an error to be made, it will likely be user error.  After all, we are all human; therefore, we make mistakes...
I also use the slow speed screwgun over the high speed drill motor.  Much easier to control.
It's very hard to screw up if you take your time and measure carefully.
Good Luck  :headbang1:
:rock-on:

deepblue said:

Yes, string it up first. From there be careful not to overdrill so the screws get a good bite, else they'll move around, But other than that, just try to center them between the correct strings & wing it. That's what I did with this one (I just put them where they looked good).

Tele8.jpg

I went a little different way. I located and placed them where the resulting string angle approaching the nut was the same as those w/o the trees (E, A)

are there any suggestions for tuner screws and string trees with wenge necks?  I want wenge for the feel/look and strength, but I keep reading about how hard it is to work.  Any problems that I need to look out for with that?

I didn't find this to be the case at all. It is a very hard wood, but this means it cuts and drills very cleanly - as long as you use sharp decent quality tools. As with any wood, you need to make sure you use appropriately sized bits, lubricate screws and never apply too much force to small screws, as twisting the heads off them isn't as much fun as it sounds.

Many here will advise against using string trees at all - on guitars anyway. With a well cut nut they're not really necessary.

I'm with Fat Pete.  Wenge is reputed to be a wood that induces allergic reactions more readily than some others, but as far as its machine-ability, it's quite good.  Use a dust mask if you're doing anything more demanding than drilling tuner screw pilot holes.  Wear nitrile gloves and long sleeves if you're particularly susceptible to allergens.  But most folks won't have any reaction at all to such minimal work.

For where you might want to position them I would do a Google image search for the type of headstock to get an idea for positioning.

The Tele deluxe above has the trees more towards the nut than I would expect.

Definitely look to lubricate the holes with beeswax or some type of lubricant designed for the job. If you can also prethread the holes.

With a  bass I find the string it up, place the tree, push it down and mark it method doesn't work as there is too much tension in the strings to accurately mark the tree hole.

I substitute with string wrapped around the tuners and taped to the fretboard over the nut.

Back