Tune-o-matic bridge with string-through installation

seagulc

Can someone please walk me through how the installation for this bridge works: http://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Tune-O-Matic-Bridge-Chrome-P607C710.aspx

It seems that the posts do not fit into the holes on my guitar, the posts are slightly too big. Even with force, the holes are still too small. Should I try sanding them or is there a better way to make the bridge fit?

How does the bridge stay in place? Is it held in place by the screws, or are the posts supposed to be very tight in the holes? How do the posts attach to the bar?

Thanks very much :D

The bridge stays in place using the tension of the strings.

As far as the inserts go. They press fit in. You shouldn't be able to push them in by hand.
If you're not sure how to press fit them in, you might want to take it to someone who does. I've heard of horror stories of wood splitting due to having the wrong sized studs, or using to much force.

seagulc said:
How does one press-fit a bridge?

Actually, you do one stud at a time.  if it were me, I'd find a machine shop with a hydraulic press, take a really good pad to put the body on, screw a hardware hex bolt into the stud (all the way, but not sticking out the bottom, and with about 1/2" exposed threads on the top so that the head of the bolt is clear of the body when the insert is installed), line it up, then put a little pressure on it with the press.  Once I was sure it was going in straight, I'd put a little more pressure and slowly slowly push the stud in, being on guard for any wierdness (I hate those cracking sounds in these situations).  Then I'd do the other one.

If you're not comfortable with that, see your local guitar builder gal/guy.

btw  -  don't forget that you most likely will want to ground the bridge by running a wire into the stud hole....

:icon_scratch: so none of you guys installed the bridges on your guitars yourselves?

Sounds like Mayfly does. I'm positive some others do, too.

Also, Warmoth offers the service for $10, if I recall correctly.

Must've missed that one. I'm thinking i'll likely just sand it until its possible to push in with force, that shouldn't be a problem as there are many bridges held in only from string tension.

the bridge itself is held on with tension... but you want the studs that the posts screw into to really be in there tight as hell. otherwise you're going to have some problems.

I thought I heard that you could freeze the posts overnight to make them fit, and then they'll expand in the holes...

seagulc said:
Must've missed that one. I'm thinking i'll likely just sand it until its possible to push in with force, that shouldn't be a problem as there are many bridges held in only from string tension.

DUDE, NO.  STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  If you don't understand why the posts need to be tight then you need to find someone who knows what they're doing to help you.

dbw said:
seagulc said:

DUDE, NO.  STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  If you don't understand why the posts need to be tight then you need to find someone who knows what they're doing to help you.

BTW, if the bridge studs are not tight in there, you'll have loss of sustain, strange harmonics, and more susceptibility to feedback.

As an aside, you probably want to get this book and read some sections that apply to your particular situation:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_plans/Building_and_repair:_Guitar,_electric/Guitar_Player_Repair_Guide.html

Good to know that I shouldn't sand, thanks for the info guys..

rockskate4x said:
I thought I heard that you could freeze the posts overnight to make them fit, and then they'll expand in the holes...

Anyone else know about this method? I don't think the pegs would fit even if I froze them but it could be possible.

Also has anyone tried the post tool from stewmac? http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Bridges/Tune-o-Medic_Bridge_and_Tailpiece_Tools.html

Back