Tube amp mayhem

I've been electrocuted (and burned) on several occasions. so yeah, I got the unplugging routine down.  never got electrocuted by a tube amp, but i have tasted wall outlet, computer power supply, heck, even as low as a light bulb, but the list goes on. Lets just say I lick batteries for fun  :icon_jokercolor:  just kidding.

K I need to get in tough with an amp tech, or I have to get a supervisor, because I don't want to die, and i need a multi meter.  wonder if the guy at radio shack would be interested.  (business is at a snails pace in this small town)  Its not really a full blown radio shack you'd find in a strip mall, its more of a radio tent, but the guy has the stuff i need, and the knowledge. (hopefully)  geez i wish i live closer to one of you guys.

DO NOT USE RADIO SHACK PARTS IN THAT AMP

repeat

DO NOT USE RADIO SHACK PARTS IN THAT AMP

+1 to not using Radio Shack parts. Try mouser.com or ampwares.com - ampwares.com has good stuff but is at times flaky about shipping orders

Here is a place to get a lot of the caps for older Fender stuff, and a bunch of other interesting stuff.  Not the cleanest page, but they have a lot of nice goods.

http://www.angela.com/catalog.html

Also, please follow what CB said about building a drain resistor.  It really is quite easy.  If you can get a wiring diagram for the amp to find where B+ is (right after the rectifier) drain the monster that way.  It really is much safer.  Do not forget to check the caps with the volt meter.  Fundamentals...  While the other methods might work, the drain always works. 

Besides, we don't want to lose our FSM disciple yet, who'd explain global warming then?
Patrick

www.tubesandmore.com

forget ampwares  total flake - and he sells the parts mouser has

angela.com - can be overpriced, hypes stuff beyond its value sometimes

Schmoo... if you can get a pic of the inside of that amp, send it along, I may have some leftovers here for ya <nod wink>

thanks for the help guys, but he was put off by the risk, and labor that we no nothing about, and i don't want to die.
plus his dad said no son you may not take your amp apart, and flirt with death at the same time.  so thats a bit of a bummer.
Apparently the amp and guitar are worth some money, so he could just buy a vox after pulling off an ebay scam.  :icon_jokercolor:

though, it would be a 30 dollar fix for tubes, or however much for a speaker, so yeah.  :sad:  :sad1:

just clicked post, and saw CB's comment, im interested, yeah, interested in why my name gets shorter every time some one types it,
no im interested, and really tired, must sleep soon.  im nothing without my beauty sleep.

might be able to take the cover off when i go over to his place, i only have five hours to prod around, and put it back together before his dad gets home.  I think there's a bad idea in there somewhere, im just to tired to care. i will pm you tommorrow CB and post pics of the inside tomorrow.
If I die its on you guys, or its my own dam fault for not being careful, but i like to blame you guys.

Here is a picture of the capacitors inside the amp.

DSC01582.jpg

yeah, when we took the cover off all we could think was don't die don't die, and alex saw the big red cap and though oh sh*t its a bomb.

Back