Triple Pickup Mahogany

I wasn't aware that the word oriental was regarded differently in the UK and US (until just now) but did question myself after my original comment. Would I have said 'scary white/caucasian woman'? Probably not, though I was only trying to specify what I saw with some accuracy. I detest racism, whether malicious or just ignorant and it appears I have been guilty of the latter so apologize unreservedly for any offence caused.

You made no racist remarks, and anyone who thinks you did needs to be bitch-slapped repeatedly. And the beatings will continue until morale improves!

At some point the word "oriental" came to be considered offensive. I became aware of it sometime in the mid '90's, but don't really know exactly when or why it happened. I always considered it a purely descriptive word rather than a pejorative one (i.e. no different than saying "east Asian" or whatever). But someone decided it was offensive for some reason.

I happened to have had a Chinese girlfriend at the time. She didn't know why either. :dontknow:

But I go with the flow. It's just a word, one I'm not particularly attached to, and there are plenty of other words. Communication takes at least two people. If someone considers it offensive and takes it as offensive even if wasn't meant that way, that's poor communication regardless of who's "right" or whose "fault" it is.

line6man said:
Fat Pete said:
Yikes! There appears to be a scary-looking oriental woman in that maple. :dontknow:

I was going to suggest hogging it out from the back like a Fender thinline but that was before seeing that top. Now I don't know, I'm just not answering the phone.

Oriental= objects from the Orient, not people.  :doh:
people are objects, we have mass and are made of atoms just as anything else in the universe. No different than someone referring to me as "redneck" being from the south...

"Zoogeography . belonging to a geographical division comprising southern Asia and the Malay Archipelago as far as and including the Philippines, Borneo, and Java. "

Historically, all of Asia, Southeast Asia and Indonesia/Polynesia/Micronesia were all referred to geographically as "the Orient" and, therefore, those that lived there were "Orientals." it was never meant to be pejorative, just a very vague and general reference to a vast and diverse group of people and their collective cultures. Why "Asian" is less offensive than "Oriental" is still a mystery except that the term Oriental did take on a decidedly commercial tone in the 80s as in oriental food, oriental rugs, oriental furniture etc. and perhaps that was the catalyst.

Still, Cagey, drewfx, DangerousR6 all said it perfectly, use what works in whatever situation you're in and live your life. So much political correctness all for the sake of political correctness and nothing else serves no one.

Peace,
Pierre

greywolf said:
The Claro is from Northwest Timbers , I've got several sets from them  , they consistently have the best selection/service.  The maple is from Oregon Wildwoods.

The claro flipped lools like some Shaman ..
Kind of reminds me of a Klingon...
Patrick

Doesn't matter what color you are, the first figure does resent an oriental lady. You wouldn't say caucasian because we are the most bland of anyone. That figure either has oriental features or Genes face paint

Cagey said:
hqdefault.jpg

Woman with large breasts... woman with medium breasts...

:toothy12:

I might have just made myself look like a PC person.  :doh:
I don't care about words being offensive, just that they are used properly.

Well, you should care about words being offensive. You're basically saying you're not prepared to take anyone else's feelings into account when you say things.

On so-called "political correctness":

"that phrase was born to live between scare-quotes: it suggests that the operative considerations in the area so called are merely political, steamrollering the genuine reasons of principle for which we ought to be acting..."

“the phrase is an empty [...] smear, designed only to elevate its user”

"...the phrase “political correctness” was born as a coded cover for all who still want to say Paki, spastic, or queer..."

" [those] who used the term did so in effort to divert [...] discussion away from the substantive matters of resolving societal discrimination – such as racial, social class, gender, and legal inequality – against people whom [they] do not consider part of the social mainstream."

Anyway, yeah, no politics!

stankybudz said:
Doesn't matter what color you are, the first figure does resent an oriental lady. You wouldn't say caucasian because we are the most bland of anyone.
Do you think us whiteys are the only people that think they're the most "normal" looking? :D

line6man said:
I might have just made myself look like a PC person.  :doh:
I don't care about words being offensive, just that they are used properly.

-Hey, I know how that goes! A while back, when I first started hanging out here, I tried to give SustainerPlayer some friendly insight on the word karma, and made a joke about his use of the term pentacost... but forgot to insert the  :icon_jokercolor:! -What a can of worms that was!

Needless to say, I learned in quick fashion that (1) nobody wants to hear about nit-picky definitions about abstract terms, and (2) nobody likes getting corrected... especially when it doesn't matter and everyone knew what they meant in the first place.

Back