Trem Claw Grounding

S

Slylock Fox

I've always had a hard time getting a good solder joint to a trem claw.

Anyone got any tips or tricks?

Nevermind.

I just pulled out my 150w soldering gun.

The job, she is done.........

I recommend this thread too: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=12054.msg234150

Slylock Fox said:
150w soldering gun.

That's ridiculous. I hope you worked quickly.

When wiring a guitar, you would want to use an iron rather than a gun, and 30-45W is fine.

line6man said:
Slylock Fox said:
150w soldering gun.

When wiring a guitar, you would want to use an iron rather than a gun, and 30-45W is fine.

Why is it ridiculous?

You want to use a 40w for doing the basic electronics.  A 40w does NOT do a proper job on a trem claw.

I also should not have to use flux for a flux core.  It's not like I used the gun while the ground was attached to electronics.

Say what you want but I bet I have a damn good ground on my trem claw.

Slylock Fox said:
line6man said:
Slylock Fox said:
150w soldering gun.

Why is it ridiculous?

You want to use a 40w for doing the basic electronics.  A 40w does NOT do a proper job on a trem claw.

I also should not have to use flux for a flux core.  It's not like I used the gun while the ground was attached to electronics.

Say what you want but I bet I have a damn good ground on my trem claw.

You might be ok with a trem claw, where the only danger is melting the wire insulation, but try using that gun on something more sensitive, like a pot, and it's going to be far too powerful.

Honestly, I use a gun (dialed down) rather than an iron on pots. I would rather heat it hotly and quickly than all that time with an iron, allowing the heat to move from the pot case to the internal parts. Its the time element. Picked up that tip from Dan Erlewine a number of years ago.

These little clips work. No soldering necessary.
011b.jpg

I just slipped it over the screw and then squeezed it tight with needle nose pliers.

I use a Sta-Kon terminal as well, but drill/tap a hole in the claw to attach it so it's nice and tight...

img_1118_Sm.jpg

Crimp the lug on, solder it for good measure, and run a 6-32 machine screw in. That baby's grounded.

Incidentally, never use straight-slot screws. They're a communist plot to destroy America. Always use something self-centering, like a phillips, torx, or hex head screw.

Cagey said:
I use a Sta-Kon terminal as well, but drill/tap a hole in the claw to attach it so it's nice and tight...

img_1118_Sm.jpg

Crimp the lug on, solder it for good measure, and run a 6-32 machine screw in. That baby's grounded.

Incidentally, never use straight-slot screws. They're a communist plot to destroy America. Always use something self-centering, like a phillips, torx, or hex head screw.

Awesome idea. You always have good ideas.

Thanks, but I doubt that it's actually my idea. I'm sure others have done it as well. I mean, it only makes sense. Soldering to that claw is never any fun.

Speaking of claws, has anybody seen these machined parts from Killer Guitar Components?

Killer_Brass_Cla_4d62d5662d41c.jpg

They have them in raw brass as well as chrome or gold plated. They're all machined rather than stamped/bent, and include a threaded hole to attach a ground lug to, along with the lug itself. Kinda pricey, as you might expect, running from $43 to $85. I seriously doubt they make any difference in the guitar's tonal character, but they do look good if you're the type that doesn't put spring cavity covers on.

Geeppers that's dear  :eek:  Cagey
I like the idea of just drilling a hole  :icon_thumright:
But..
Nothing wrong with these either 
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolo_parts/Tremolo_Spring_Mounting_Claw.html

Updown said:
Geeppers that's dear  :eek:  Cagey

Yeah, no kidding. I won't be taking advantage of them. It would be interesting to know how many of those things they actually sell.

Updown said:
I like the idea of just drilling a hole  :icon_thumright:
But..
Nothing wrong with these either 
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolo_parts/Tremolo_Spring_Mounting_Claw.html

That's more like it. Some battles are better left to others to be fought. I mean, for $4.50 it's a no-brainer. Order it along with some other stuff so you don't get hurt on the shipping.

Or, drill the hole. That's not tough, either. But, you do have to tap it or use a nut/bolt combo to get it to work. Seems like I've even used self-tapping screws more than once, which makes it even easier.

Slylock Fox said:
I've always had a hard time getting a good solder joint to a trem claw.

Anyone got any tips or tricks?

Yes.

All I did was take a nail (or scratch awl) and file and roughed up the surface of the claw so the solder would have something
nice to adhere to. I mounted my ground on the underside of the claw for cleanliness, and if your obsessive to
detail even though no one can see it (like moi :toothy11: ) the solder pool can cover up the scratches/rough
area you made.

Cagey said:
Thanks, but I doubt that it's actually my idea. I'm sure others have done it as well. I mean, it only makes sense. Soldering to that claw is never any fun.

Speaking of claws, has anybody seen these machined parts from Killer Guitar Components?

Killer_Brass_Cla_4d62d5662d41c.jpg

They have them in raw brass as well as chrome or gold plated. They're all machined rather than stamped/bent, and include a threaded hole to attach a ground lug to, along with the lug itself. Kinda pricey, as you might expect, running from $43 to $85. I seriously doubt they make any difference in the guitar's tonal character, but they do look good if you're the type that doesn't put spring cavity covers on.

Yeah, I briefly considered getting the machined raw brass one (along with brass screws) for the DM strat seeing as how it would have matched the
brass sustain block. In the end I thought it was just too much cashola to blow on something that was purely cosmetic and had dubious tonal value
at best, if at all. All of KGC's 'Testimonials' are about the sustain blocks...  I have yet to see one where someone was enthusiastically endorsing the trem
claw and screws.

:icon_thumright:

I wish I'd thought of it (or known about it sooner). I did an excellent job of soldering the ground wire to the claw in my Soloist, but I have access to any drill bit and tap that I could ever need. 'Would have been so simple.

Back