Question about Grounding...

Killswitch95

I've looked through the forums and can't seem to find and answer to the following:

I have an HH setup strat project that has a ground going to the trem claw in the back, but I did not account for one in the cavity... Is it needed? Or will it create that annoying buzz I keep hearing about if I don't have it?

If it IS needed, since I have the trem claw grounded to the volume pot casing, to the output would I simply solder another wire to the volume pot to create the circuit for it and then screw it to the body?

Shield the back of the pickguard, it will be grounded from the physical contact to the pots. You can shield the cavity and run it up to the lip of the cavity so it makes physical contact to the pickguard. Then job done.

Or because they are humbuckers, don't worry about it.  I have that same set up with a jazzmaster with RailHammer Pups, no problems.

stratamania said:
Is the body cavity itself shielded with either conductive copper tape or shielding paint?

I have shielding paint that I am going to apply to the inside of the cavity all over.

Killswitch95 said:
stratamania said:
Is the body cavity itself shielded with either conductive copper tape or shielding paint?

I have shielding paint that I am going to apply to the inside of the cavity all over.

Probably the back of the pickguard has some shielding as mentioned below.

hosko said:
Shield the back of the pickguard, it will be grounded from the physical contact to the pots. You can shield the cavity and run it up to the lip of the cavity so it makes physical contact to the pickguard. Then job done.

You could use copper shielding tape to create something over the lip of the body to get continuity between the cavity grounding paint or as you suggested in your first post.

Does this particular guitar have a pickguard? If not, then no additional shielding is necessary with humbuckers.
The spring claw is grounded which is grounding the bridge. This is necessry.  With a pickguard, grounding the cavity serves the purpose of preventing static electricity between the paint in the cavity and the back of the pickguard from causing "pops" and noise. I actually cover the back of the pickguard with conductive aluminum tape for this purpose. It's for static. It does nothing to reduce hum from single coil pickups, transformers, or flourescent or neon lighting...

Attachments

• 20220326_193445.jpg
    20220326_193445.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 51
I haven't tried it, but I expect that lack of grounding will cause an issue when you touch the pickups.  The human body tends to pick up stray signals and static so its a potential problem area.  Please let us know how it goes.

Back