Trem Choice - NFT Floyd, Wilkinson VS100 or Gotoh 510

rauchman

Greetings,

Have another build being planned/researched.  Unlike my last build (Tele), I want something with a trem.  I've had FR's before, and yes, while they work very well, would like to try something without a locking nut, or fine tuners (which I always bump out of tune).

As I see it, the NFT Floyd, Wilkinson VS100 and Gotoh 510 seem to be highly regarded / get the most love, as the best 2pt trems that don't require a locking nut, that also keep the guitar in tune.

Which of these would you choose....and why?  I'm an 80's hair metal child, so trem usage will be in that context, but also include the light shimmery stuff too.

I build most of my warmoth with VS100 + Locking Tuner .

a better balance , nearly as stability as Floyd but not so much troubles change strings .

VS100 basically got everything lock and not move too .

Gotoh 510 better than fender made STANDARD one , if you like classic look .

https://www.warmoth.com/Gotoh-Wilkinson-Tremolo-VS100-Chrome-P621C699.aspx
Advanced design improves sustain and tuning accuracy over traditional style tremolos. When used in conjunction with the LSR Roller Nut or a Graph Tech Black TUSQ XL nut and locking tuners, Wilkinsons stay in tune!

Like Hendrix, all of my SuperStrats are VS100 with locking tuners; either Schaller or Gotoh. I'll add that all of them also have LSR roller nuts too. I can whammy the hell out of those things and they just come back for more. Occasionally I'll get a bit of a stick on the G string, but for the most part they're rock solid and can do anything from a slight vibrato wiggle, to the surf strum and dip, to full on divebombs.

My Warmoth build I used the VS100 and locking tuners and am very happy with it.

Most of my tremolo experience has been with the Strat traditional one, so that would be my main comparison.
I only have a small amount of experience with a Floyd type--changing strings for a friend (oye!) and goofing with it. They operate fine, but man, did I hate the set up.

I like the ease of the VS100, like the profile of it too. Since having it I have been making far more use of the vibrato than I did with my other Strat and the tuning stability is impressive. If building something with a trem again I would likely opt for the same bridge.

As someone who has an NFT Floyd with LSR set up and also a Gotoh 510, I have plans for both in the future.

But if you like the feel of a Floyd trem in terms of the width of post spacing and feel etc there is only one choice the NFT. It is far more stable than a Gotoh 510 and is closer to the Floyd feel as one would expect.

I would also recommend the Red Bishop arm for the NFT or any Floyd for that matter.

stratamania said:
As someone who has an NFT Floyd with LSR set up and also a Gotoh 510, I have plans for both in the future.

But if you like the feel of a Floyd trem in terms of the width of post spacing and feel etc there is only one choice the NFT. It is far more stable than a Gotoh 510 and is closer to the Floyd feel as one would expect.

I would also recommend the Red Bishop arm for the NFT or any Floyd for that matter.

I followed your Strat build with the NFT, and was hoping you'd chime in.  Excellent info....thanks!

stratamania said:

I have not tried the Red Bishop product, but the Floyd push-in arm with the nylon collar is the first thing I do to every FR trem I buy. An absolute must. FR should make it standard on their terms, and discontinue the sloppy threaded collar junk they have used forever. It's old tech at this point. I stop by their booth every NAMM and tell them so, but so far no dice. :)

https://floydrose.com/collections/upgrades/products/frtapi?variant=29837630034

The Aaron said:
stratamania said:

I have not tried the Red Bishop product, but the Floyd push-in arm with the nylon collar is the first thing I do to every FR trem I buy. An absolute must. FR should make it standard on their terms, and discontinue the sloppy threaded collar junk they have used forever. It's old tech at this point. I stop by their booth every NAMM and tell them so, but so far no dice. :)

https://floydrose.com/collections/upgrades/products/frtapi?variant=29837630034

I agree why keep something that has been improved upon.  Frank De Salvo also mentioned the Red Bishop and it was what led me to trying one.  Very nice product especially if you need to swap something out.

rauchman said:
I followed your Strat build with the NFT, and was hoping you'd chime in.  Excellent info....thanks!

No worries. Glad to help and thanks for the feedback... :icon_thumright:

The Wilkies have worked well for me, but the Strat body on order is getting the NFT for its purpose

Yo the Wilk is a baller since the saddles tighten down to the plate like floyd. When you press the bar down they don't go loose like normal Strat saddles

The Wilk is almost like a nonfine tuner floyd except easy to change the strings and way less 'spensive.

I looked @ images of the 510 in the big W website and at least that one has grooves for the saddle adjusting height grub screws. And I guess it has a nicer block than the Wilk.

I'm like a vaper's guide to the samsung galaxy

Back