Toronado Body

rgand

Epic Member
How many would like to see a Fender Toronado body made? I like the asymmetry but it's not in your face like a JM or Jag. Right now the only one that isn't too far offset is the Musiclander.

I would love one. I've been contemplating cutting my own. That body is so versatile. You can go from SG inspired all way to Ibanez Talman territory(especially the originals). :bananaguitar:

I would also love that.
Then again, I would love anything 24" scale, that's not already available.

Logrinn, your constant talk of 24" scale length makes me want to go out and try a Mustang...I would think I would prefer it a little more cause I play violin as well.

You should absolutely go out and try one, although I can tell you that there's a huge difference between a Warmoth 7/8-Strat (with a Mustang neck) and a Fender Mustang. I have yet to experience a Mustang that felt nice or even ok at a store. I've actually had better luck with Fender Jaguars. Although the body of a Jaguar is bigger it's still a short scale instrument that allows for nice and comfortable fingering if you have smaller hands. Or need to do wider stretches on the neck.
Another option might be the Brian May Red Special (yepp, it's a 24" scale instrument!), although you will probably not find one of those in a store ...

BMG%20Super%20-%20Content.jpg

Logrinn said:
You should absolutely go out and try one, although I can tell you that there's a huge difference between a Warmoth 7/8-Strat (with a Mustang neck) and a Fender Mustang. I have yet to experience a Mustang that felt nice or even ok at a store. I've actually had better luck with Fender Jaguars. Although the body of a Jaguar is bigger it's still a short scale instrument that allows for nice and comfortable fingering if you have smaller hands. Or need to do wider stretches on the neck.
Another option might be the Brian May Red Special (yepp, it's a 24" scale instrument!), although you will probably not find one of those in a store ...

My first home built guitar back in 1982 was a variation of the Red Special and a 59 Danelectro that I yanked the neck from after my dad gave it to me.
I have plans on a revision/re-launch of this body called the "Dani-May", but with a much more simplified/traditional HxH config & a TOM/STP bridge setup.

I'm gonna do mine with 24 frets by 25" scale since my Dano neck only had 21 back in the day.

Logrinn said:
Awesome. Looking forward to that build!
Same here. That will be something to see.

Although my preference would be a Toronado, I've been toying with the thought of building a Musiclander with a Gibson conversion neck. LOL, they have a bite taken out of the butt, too.

pabloman said:
I would love one. I've been contemplating cutting my own. That body is so versatile. You can go from SG inspired all way to Ibanez Talman territory(especially the originals). :bananaguitar:
I've thought about cutting one, too, but would rather get one factory finished.

Looks like a hardtail Jaguar/Jazzmaster w/ fewer controls to me...

Jaguar_HH_Blacktop_Silver.jpg

...which means you can basically already get one from Warmoth. You'd just have to custom order it to get the bridge and pickup holes/routing right.

That doesn't look like a Toronado.
Here's an image of one of the versions of Toronado that were (are?) available:
511256000847000-00-750x750.jpg

Logrinn said:

There are two of those suckers at a Sam Ash store about 20 minutes from my place. I love the open-wah-like sound you can get from the pickups being out of phase.

Problem is that sound sorta belongs to Brian May. Kinda like Peter Frampton and Joe Walsh own all the possibilities with a Talkbox.

Cagey said:
Looks like a hardtail Jaguar/Jazzmaster w/ fewer controls to me...

Jaguar_HH_Blacktop_Silver.jpg

...which means you can basically already get one from Warmoth. You'd just have to custom order it to get the bridge and pickup holes/routing right.
If you can't lick 'em, join 'em. Thanks to your comments, I'm seriously entertaining a Jaguar body next. I even went down to the guitar store earlier and played a Jazzmaster (the only offset body in the place) for a while to get the feel. It has possibilities for what I want to build next.

Just really getting started on a Jazzmaster build, and I'm already thinking of the next. I too was thinking of cutting my own from a Warmoth blank.

My main guitar for many years was a '65 Hagstrom H2, which is offset, but not so drastically as a JM or Jaguar. I was thinking of maybe a hybrid of the H2 shape and Fender radiused/contoured profile. The picture in the case is an SG case. Gives you an idea of how much its offset.

Attachments

• DSC_0461_WebReady.jpg
    DSC_0461_WebReady.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC_0477_WebReady.jpg
    DSC_0477_WebReady.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 313
Here are a couple Jazzmasters from my stable that don't really follow the Jazzmaster ruleset...

Attachments

• Full_Face_Sm.JPG
    Full_Face_Sm.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 416
  • Full_Face_Sm.JPG
    Full_Face_Sm.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 416
The black one has a Seymour Duncan "Hot Rodded Humbucker" (SH-2n Jazz and SH-4 JB) set and ghost saddles in the Wilkinson vibrato, and the white one has a pair of Bill Lawrence L500XLs and a Babicz vibrato. Both have minimal controls and a single toggle pickup selector.

Back