Top 5 Most Innovative Guitarists

Marko said:
DocNrock said:
1) Dave Murray
2) EVH
3) John Sykes
4) Joe Satriani
5) Steve Vai

Number 1 is number 1, the rest are in no particular order.  This is how they impacted me, not the evolution of the guitar...carry on.

Great List!
(what's wrong with Adrian Smith?? ;))

I'm sure you know this, but there is nothing wrong with Smith.  I just like Murray's legato.  Hearing his part of the solo on the Trooper made me want to learn the guitar.  I couldn't take two guitarist from one band, now could I?

DocNrock said:
Marko said:
Great List!

I'm sure you know this, but there is nothing wrong with Smith.  I just like Murray's legato.  Hearing his part of the solo on the Trooper made me want to learn the guitar.  I couldn't take two guitarist from one band, now could I?

Sure you can! :)
the following would absolutely be in my top 10!!!

Murray/Smith
Gorham/Robertson
Wilton/DeGarmo

Piece of mind is one of my favorite albums!!  :icon_thumright:

VA: Claudio Sanchez is a good one, I'd never have thought of him but he's quite good!  Very Jimi-like in his ability to sing while he plays lead

I'd like to give a personal nod to Gilmour, Garcia, Zappa, and Trey Anastasio.  Just a few of my favorites.  And Dimebag Darrell Abbott too for the metal genre. 

I dunno about innovative, because the guitarists I know and love were all influenced by other people, so not really sure if they innovated anything...

That said, as far as sounds go, Steve Vai, David Gilmour, and Head/Munky from Korn were innovative in their uses of effects.

The Beatles were innovative for their recording techniques.

Jimmy Page was innovative for bringing alternate tunings to use more widely in rock music.

But having said all that, I'm sure other guitarists did it before them.  I just don't know them.  :laughing7:

Marko said:
DocNrock said:
Marko said:
Great List!

Murray/Smith
Gorham/Robertson
Wilton/DeGarmo

+1 - Piece of Mind is bad ass, Number of the Beast being my fave...  But, my favorite duo personally is the Wilton/DeGarmo days of QR - intense work...

And Tipton/Downing, can't forget them either...

Leo couldn't play guitar, so my vote would go to one Mr Lester William Polsfuss ...kinda did a lot for the electric guitar playing world.
Wikipedia; -  "a pioneer in the development of the solid-body electric guitar which "made the sound of rock and roll possible." His many recording innovations include overdubbing, delay effects such as "sound on sound" and tape delay, phasing effects and multitrack recording."

Sums it up better than I could

Martin said:
Leo couldn't play guitar, so my vote would go to one Mr Lester William Polsfuss ...kinda did a lot for the electric guitar playing world.
Wikipedia; -  "a pioneer in the development of the solid-body electric guitar which "made the sound of rock and roll possible." His many recording innovations include overdubbing, delay effects such as "sound on sound" and tape delay, phasing effects and multitrack recording."

Sums it up better than I could

Not to mention his playing was frickin' incredible.

I'm a young guy, but I saw this post on a google search for the subject, and I feel like I should throw in my two cents.

1. Hendrix
2. Tom Morello
3. Brian Carroll
4. Steve Vai
5. Joe Satriani

Marko said:
DocNrock said:
Marko said:
Great List!

Murray/Smith
Gorham/Robertson
Wilton/DeGarmo

OK, you win.  Add Tipton and Downing into there.  And Petrucci.

SenorFrog said:
I'm a young guy, but I saw this post on a google search for the subject, and I feel like I should throw in my two cents.

1. Hendrix
2. Tom Morello
3. Brian Carroll
4. Steve Vai
5. Joe Satriani

Mostly reasonable, but who the hell is Brian Caroll?  :icon_scratch:

Back