Tonemaster build! (Non-Warmoth)

Very, very nice!  I'm not sure if you ever expressly stated, but is the neck mahogany/ebony?  It looks really great with the body color.

Thanks you guys. The pickups are just economy pickups from Guitar Parts Resource.com.

Found here,

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickups_other.htm

Its just that first "Black Dogear Pickup"

It sounds pretty good for 17 bucks, and hardly hums at all.

rapfohl09 said:
Thanks you guys. The pickups are just economy pickups from Guitar Parts Resource.com.

Found here,

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickups_other.htm

See, there's the problem, we pay extra for that boutique hum.  :icon_jokercolor:

Death by Uberschall said:
rapfohl09 said:

See, there's the problem, we pay extra for that boutique hum.  :icon_jokercolor:
:toothy12:

Well this was a grave digger! It really is true that guitars are never finished, just temporarily satisfying isn't it...

I have some news. I have been putting it off for a long time, but I finally got down to rebuilding this guitar today. This guitar is one of my favorites, but I really don't play it that much. This is mostly because of the fact that I just am not a bridge pickup kind of person. I have had a GFS neck position P-90 sitting in my parts bin for years, and have tossed the idea around for a while, and decided I needed to just do it while I still had access to some nice shop tools. Also, the first time around I didn't do a real great job doing my paint prep. There was still router chatter on the sides, and some nasty spots here and there. When I first finished it, I could care less, but now I find them obnoxious, so we gotta make this thing beautiful.

So we are rebuilding the guitar I have been affectionately calling Blue (no copyright infringement intended DbU  :laughing7:)

Things that are definitely getting done:
- Adding a P-90 in the Neck position
- Comfort contours, I originally thought that the body was small/thin enough to not need them, but that was just an excuse I used to not have to do them the first time around :laughing7:
- Obviously re-painting
- Re-doing the cavity cover/recess. I did an ok job the first time around, but I there are some gaps that drive me insane. Call me a crazy, but perfection is what I want out of it.
- Enlarging the lower control hole for a toggle switch at least. I might just do a new control cavity all together and maybe I'll keep both controls and put a 3 way switch in. I don't know yet.

The guitar will most likely be repainted in lake placid blue, but who really knows, it's going to be a while before I can repaint it, and my mind will probably change 100 times.

And since an update without pictures is totally lame, let's get to it:

IMG_0460.jpg

All taken apart. The neck will be basically untouched other than fretwork. It's pretty much perfect the way it is.

IMG_0461.jpg

The Pickups. We will see how they work together. Maybe I'll just upgrade to some sweet Roadhouse P-90s or something. We'll see how the rest comes out.

IMG_0465.jpg

Let's get to work, here we are after taking some paint off the sides and top. LPB binding anyone? :laughing7:

IMG_0469.jpg

All the paint is gone, its been a long time since I've seen this guitar like this.

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Let's draw in some contours...

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

And rough them in on the belt sander...

IMG_0477.jpg

That's all for now, I seem to have lost my P-90 template...but I have some other things to keep me busy while I find it/make a new one.

Thoughts? Comments? Rude gestures?

Back