Tobacco Burst Strat

great job dude! That is an awsome looking strat. how are the lace pickups treating you? They sound great in the clip...i had been thinking about using dulies in my build, cant find reliable sound clips of the red and blue sensors thow...

Brian

Xochitl said:
Phrygian > I guess it's too late, but do you have picture of the back of the pickguard? Just to take a look at the soldering job. I'm finding that kind of thing fascinating lately!  :toothy11:

If I have to take it off for any work I'll snap some shots of it.  I did a few thing different from the norm with the grounds.  Instead of trying to soldering around a dozen wires to the volume pot case (I'm not exaggerating), I sandwiched a ring terminal between the volume pot and the pickguard foil.  I brought most of the grounds to this point, soldered them all in a bunch, crammed it into the lug, and crimped it.  Hopefully it will hold up.  I checked the grounds with an ohmmeter. They all are good.  The braided shield from the input jack cable and the tone cap go to to the 1st terminal of the volume pot.  From there, another wire goes to the main ground point.  I contend that nothing is wrong with my approach, but I'm sure someone will blast me for it.

bpmorton777 said:
great job dude! That is an awsome looking strat. how are the lace pickups treating you? They sound great in the clip...i had been thinking about using dulies in my build, cant find reliable sound clips of the red and blue sensors thow...

Brian

I'll post more clips.  I just haven't had time.  I want to do some comparisons with my reissue Strat, which means I need to change the strings on it.  :)

I brought most of the grounds to this point, soldered them all in a bunch, crammed it into the lug, and crimped it....  From there, another wire goes to the main ground point.  I contend that nothing is wrong with my approach, but I'm sure someone will blast me for it.
Blast, heck - congratulations! Standard wiring diagrams are a starting place, but there's a lot to be said for figuring out what's going on with the current, and wiring a guitar according to your own logical order. When I rewired my "Tele" with a Superswitch to control all the possible outputs from the bridge Lawrence L500XL humbucker, I counted up SEVENTEEN ground wires... use a regular Stew-Mac diagram? that's one way to burn the innards out of your pots, for sure. I roughed up a little eyebolt with sandpaper and screwed it into the side of the cavity, ran all the ground wires to it and blasted it with a 140w soldering gun till it smoked then slobbered on the solder. Each pot casing still needs one of it's own grounds, but jeesh... I'll never wire a guitar without the eyebolt again, nor unsolder the ground wire on the pots for a rewire - you should be able to use the same pots indefinitely if you just don't heat them repeatedly.

Back