Tips on patching flaking on poly finish

hdcshah

So my favorite Warmoth Tele body is developing a bit of a bad spot on its heel I'd like to fill. There's a nick that has started to flake down to the silver undercoat and it's going to get worse without a bit of help to ameliorate the spread.

Maybe it's a warranty kind of thing but I'd rather just handle it myself as tearing the guitar down and shipping the body for this repair seems excessive.

Any suggestions on ways to patch this flaking that doesn't require major work like sanding and repainting? The patch doesn't need to be gorgeous or invisible since it's on the back of the body, but it should hold up to handling as this is obviously a wear spot.

IMG_20220902_153714.jpg

I would sand it a little and use nail polish. The experts here will have better ideas.

Another thing you could do to just stop it spreading is to drop fill the areas of wear with CA (superglue) and carefully smooth it afterwards if needed.

Epoxy resin would provide a tough and durable repair, ideally coloured with blue dye. When I cracked the poly finish long ago, I applied some 5 minute epoxy glue with a tooth pick, and fortunately it was thin enough to flow under the chipped area. If you can buy some slow-setting epoxy resin and add some dye, it could make a professional looking repair. Sorry I don't have experience to advise you about exact method to use.

Last edited:
Back