thoughts? on les paul with p90s

nathan a

I've been thinking about an awesome birthday present for my dad next year. He loves the feel of his faded LP and the sound of his epiphone wildkat, which has p90s. If it weren't for the humbucker routes on the LP, he was considering asking me to put the p90s from the wildkat onto the LP

So I was thinking I could build him a sweet LP with p90s. I thought I'd run the idea past you guys and see what you thought about the potential sound. Not trying to mimic the wildkat's sound; I want the sustain of the solid body.

Solid mahogany with flame maple carve top. black dye finish?
24 3/4" goncalo and ebony neck
fralin p90s, -10% neck, +5% bridge?

Yeah?

P90 Pauls... are the tits!~

I've always thought... a LP Deluxe - the one with mini humbuckers - converted "back" to P90's would be great.  Go about 9k on the bridge, about 8k on the neck.  That would be a Fralin set.

Jack-- fralin recommends a 15% difference between neck and bridge for balance, and I'm looking to keep these pups relatively bright and clean.

CB-- I don't really understand what you mean. Were the LP Deluxes different in ways other than just the pickups? Fralin winds P90s based on number of turns.. You (or anybody) know about what to shoot for to hit 8 and 9k?

LP Deluxe has the minihumbucker route.  The mini hum surround is the EXACT same size as a P90 - hence a perfect fit.  They even use the same inner "plate" to hold it all togehter (no wood screws needed).

P90 Pauls.... very thick toned.  You'll like!~

My favourite guitar is a Goldtop LP w\P90's (no pickguard).

I've seen both Neil Young and Greg Keelor (Blue Rodeo) using these Goldtop LP's.  The sound is incredible.

I know any dad would be happy with a build like that for a birthday gift.

Gold%20Top_3.jpg

-CB- said:
LP Deluxe has the minihumbucker route.  The mini hum surround is the EXACT same size as a P90 - hence a perfect fit.  They even use the same inner "plate" to hold it all togehter (no wood screws needed).

I know I know, thick skulled.. What do you mean inner plate? I thought minibuckers just used mounting rings + springs like their full sized brethren? Only way I know of to mount a P90 is screw directly into the wood and use springs/foam..

skydigger said:
My favourite guitar is a Goldtop LP w\P90's (no pickguard).

I've seen both Neil Young and Greg Keelor (Blue Rodeo) using these Goldtop LP's.  The sound is incredible.

I know any dad would be happy with a build like that for a birthday gift.

I'm sure he'll be into it too. He's only been playing two or three years, but he loves it, so...

LPs use three mounting methods for minihums and p90s

1.  P90's right into the wood, with wood screws
2.  P90's or minimums using a concealed mounting plate and machine screws
3.  Escutcheons mounted in the wood for P90's or minihums, using machine screws

Most use option 2.  There is a plate that has tapped screw holes for the minihum surround screws - using machine screws and springs like a regular humbucker.  The surround AND the pickup both move up and down.  The same plate also has tapped holes for P90s.

Some of the newer models - the BFG... maybe others... have escutcheons.

Older (vintage, near vintage) models have pickups with screws into the wood.  As far as I know - all the mini hums either had adjustable surrounds with plates and machine screws, or used a traditional shaped surround (different size) with machine screws, or were hung from pickguards with machine screws.  That is, never wood screws on a mini hum.

Okay guys, new development: My dad much prefers factory gloss finishes on necks. So our neck options are now maple/ebony, and walnut/ebony. What do you think? This needs to be a warmish but very clear sounding guitar. No mahogany necks this time around.

he's starting to aound a little spoiled.  :laughing7:

Walnut would be a little more unique, plus more importantly It'll provide  the LP with a bit more warmth than the maple.

Just out of curiosity, why does the fact that he wants a gloss finish necessitate that it be one of those two combos?  Are you afraid you will be called a heretic by the boys here if you put a gloss finish on an exotic wood?  Or did I just misunderstand, did he say he wanted one of those two?  I personally think the Goncalo/ebony from your original plan would be seriously hot, even if it was gloss finished.

Welll warmoth won't finish the exotics, and though I'm in the process of a tung oil / swamp ash tele, I've never finished a neck before  :binkybaby:

Welll warmoth won't finish the exotics

Are you sure about that?  I have seen some finished exotics in the showcase before.  Of course right now when I'm looking all I can find is a gloss finished Koa neck, but I was under the impresion that they would finish anything.  I am asking is all, I don't know.

Back