This just in: Non-Guitarists don't give a crap about guitar solos.

swarfrat said:
By that definition rap is the penultimate form of music. 

Being down with the latestest trends I picked up a copy of Public Enemy's 1990 album Fear of Black Planet the other day, I couldn't get over the massive sound and power of the music, the production was HUGE, in a good way.

Still prefer the first album though.

It's funny that Fire was posted. I was trying out an amp the other day. I asked for a Suhr Classic S to try it with as they have SS frets. And for some reason I played the opening part of that song. I don't think I've played it for years.

Trilogy, is probably the most commercial of Yngwies albums. Also the Alcatrazz stuff has some focussed soloing in the songs.

There are different types of solos.  One of them is the type you can sing along too.  This is a prime example of that type (it starts at 2:36).  Gotta love Johnny Marr's sense of economy.  Also, it's the first solo I learned how to play!

[youtube]1uxP8h0SZRw[/youtube]

It's clear we don't all like the same things, and neither will an audience. And you can have different types of audiences.

Now here's a different question, when is a guitar solo not a guitar solo ?

Is the Johnny Marr, example in between Morrisey's lyrics a solo or merely an instrumental break ?

stratamania said:
It's clear we don't all like the same things, and neither will an audience. And you can have different types of audiences.

Now here's a different question, when is a guitar solo not a guitar solo ?

Is the Johnny Marr, example in between Morrisey's lyrics a solo or merely an instrumental break ?

That's a good  question - maybe we could quantify it by assigning a minimum number of bars for a solo?

It's an interesting one because there are short and long solos.

This for example has a short solo around 2:46 but also some beautiful fills through a lot of the song, which would not fall under at least to my mind being a solo. But most of those fills would not be out of place in a lot of solos.

[youtube]roF9B_rJKhs[/youtube]

Back