Things that bug me. (incomplete)

hannaugh said:
But I really love to dip my fries in my chocolate shake if I've also ordered a shake. 

Seems I've stolen too many pills from you, I promise next time I'll let enough ones to you :icon_jokercolor:

About driving, one of the reasons I have sold my car is because I can't handle to drive on a road and have ALL FOUR LANES with big trucks (40ton)!!!
It was taking my health away, serious...

Yeah, that sounds horrible.  I hate bad driving situations. 

Try driving the 91 sometime.  It took me almost 2 hours to go less than 40 miles because the traffic was stop and go... it was the middle of the day, not even rush hour.  And the worst part was that there was no reason for it, no accidents or anything.  Just too many people on the road. 

Wow, thats almost the greatest vent and list of things that bug me ever, the best being mine, with the addition;

People who stereotype you a raving stupid metalhead buffalo because you have long hair, are quite tall and are beefy in proportion.

When it's not like that at all.

And Curry Chips? What is this?  I've heard of Mussamum Curry, it has potatoes in it, but curry chips. What kind of crazed lunatic idiot would make such a food?

Marko said:
Curry is a very generic word for all kinds of sauces and spices.
Originally from all over Asia, but very popular in the UK and all over (western?) Europe.

I believe that Tikka Masala is the most popular dish in England :)

Most Indian curries are named after the region of India they originated in.  Tikka Massala was invented in England (seriously) as a westernised 'curry' flavour for people who couldn't handle the spice (not necessarily 'heat', although you have a to HAVE a 'HOT' curry dontcha??).  There is NO true Indian equivalent of a Tikka Massala.

Make mine a Madras.  :headbang:
.....Also Chips (Fries) with 'curry' sauce is amazing, and I agree with Hannaugh, chips in McDonalds Chocolate milkshake is brilliant.

I will never understand saoking your chips in any kind of sauce, ever. The whole point of frying them in the first place is to make them warm, crispy and yummy, yes? Dipping them just makes them soggy and yucky. Ew.

I bet ya that Rene eats his fries with 'Zuur Vlees'. its some sour stewed beef in gravy, which the Flemish use as a dip for their fries.
It's actually not that bad :)

kboman said:
I will never understand saoking your chips in any kind of sauce, ever. The whole point of frying them in the first place is to make them warm, crispy and yummy, yes? Dipping them just makes them soggy and yucky. Ew.

Not true at all.  You dip them in ketchup (or milkshake) 1 second before you eat them.  They don't have time to get soggy.  You just get crunchy fry with the ketchup flavor, which is amazing. 

Really the best though is dipping in a chocolate malt from Ruby's.  But I doubt they even have Ruby's across the pond.  Sorry jimh. 

Marko said:
I bet ya that Rene eats his fries with 'Zuur Vlees'. its some sour stewed beef in gravy, which the Flemish use as a dip for their fries.
Nope, you lose. With fries that are accompanying a dish I'll probably just have some mayo, if we have fries as the main course (from a 'frituur'), I'll probably have a 'Viandelle Speciaal' and a 'Cervela' with them. The Viandelle is a sort of sausage from a sort of meat which has been dipped in batter and then deep fried, the 'speciaal' bit means they slice it almost completely through lengthwise before deep frying, and afterwards put layers of first mayo, then fine cut raw onions and finally ketchup on it (I'll normally have curry ketchup). I'll scoop some of the sauce from the viandelle with my fries, so no separate sauce. The Cervela is also a sausage but it's a bit less nondescript. It's got some garlic in it. It's also deep fried (even though you can eat ir raw) and I'll have some curry with that.
The stewed beef is fine if it's homemade but otherwise it's often not very good.

ByteFrenzy said:
Marko said:
Nope, you lose. With fries that are accompanying a dish I'll probably just have some mayo, if we have fries as the main course (from a 'frituur'), I'll probably have a 'Viandelle Speciaal' and a 'Cervela' with them. The Viandelle is a sort of sausage from a sort of meat which has been dipped in batter and then deep fried, the 'speciaal' bit means they slice it almost completely through lengthwise before deep frying, and afterwards put layers of first mayo, then fine cut raw onions and finally ketchup on it (I'll normally have curry ketchup). I'll scoop some of the sauce from the viandelle with my fries, so no separate sauce. The Cervela is also a sausage but it's a bit less nondescript. It's got some garlic in it. It's also deep fried (even though you can eat ir raw) and I'll have some curry with that.
The stewed beef is fine if it's homemade but otherwise it's often not very good.

So it's a heart attack on a plate?

ahh that viandelle almost sounds as good as a frikandel!!
I have to admit that the things I miss most about my home country is the fast food, most specific the Frikandel and the Kroket
the Frikandel is a deepfried skinless sausage, which main ingredient is Cow udder, and the Kroket is  deepfried, breaded and filled with a thick horsemeat ragout..drool...

mayfly said:
Marko said:
hahaha, Curry Chips is very normal in Irelend too. except the chips will be drenched in Curry sauce.
Another popular one was the garlic cheese fries!! where the fries would be drenched in garlic mayonnaise and melted cheese!
great food when drunk!!

ok, time to reveal the Canadian National Dish:  Poutine!

Take a bunch of fries, dump on cheese curds, then cover the entire thing in gravy.  Repeat with another layer of fries, cheese curds and gravy if you want the heart attack special.  Best served from a chip truck by the side of the road.  I can only have one of these once per year, otherwise my arteries would crumble.  Here's a picture:

poutine.jpg

Um, I was going to say that that looks like a delicious caramel ice cream marshmellow whatever dessert until i read what it was.
Is it just me, or does that look like a delicious dessert dish?

But know that i know what it really is, that's disgusting!

line6man said:
mayfly said:
Marko said:
hahaha, Curry Chips is very normal in Irelend too. except the chips will be drenched in Curry sauce.
Another popular one was the garlic cheese fries!! where the fries would be drenched in garlic mayonnaise and melted cheese!
great food when drunk!!

ok, time to reveal the Canadian National Dish:  Poutine!

Take a bunch of fries, dump on cheese curds, then cover the entire thing in gravy.  Repeat with another layer of fries, cheese curds and gravy if you want the heart attack special.  Best served from a chip truck by the side of the road.  I can only have one of these once per year, otherwise my arteries would crumble.  Here's a picture:

poutine.jpg

Um, I was going to say that that looks like a delicious caramel ice cream marshmellow whatever dessert until i read what it was.
Is it just me, or does that look like a delicious dessert dish?

But know that i know what it really is, that's disgusting!

That's what I thought it was at first too.  It looks like pieces of funnel cake (mmmmm) with some soft serve vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and some caramel on the top.  That sounds way more appetizing than cheese curds and gravy.

You guys just haven't tried it.  Poutine seriously kicks ass.  :headbang1:

Marko said:
I have to admit that the things I miss most about my home country is the fast food, most specific the Frikandel and the Kroket
the Frikandel is a deepfried skinless sausage, which main ingredient is Cow udder, and the Kroket is  deepfried, breaded and filled with a thick horsemeat ragout..drool...

The Viandel is just a frikandel in a pastry coat. Thanks for bringing up the udder bit, I had almost banned that from my mind. If I remember correctly the second ingredient is Esophagus. The most striking thing I remember of the fast food in the Netherlands were the vending machines with kroketten, bitterballen (same thing as the kroketten but shaped into small round balls) and Bamischijven (a kroket stuffed with asian noodles). And these things were sitting in little compartments with a little window in front, heated by a little lightbulb, for hours and hours, waiting for someone to put their 25 cent in the slot...

ByteFrenzy said:
Marko said:

The Viandel is just a frikandel in a pastry coat. Thanks for bringing up the udder bit, I had almost banned that from my mind. If I remember correctly the second ingredient is Esophagus. The most striking thing I remember of the fast food in the Netherlands were the vending machines with kroketten, bitterballen (same thing as the kroketten but shaped into small round balls) and Bamischijven (a kroket stuffed with asian noodles). And these things were sitting in little compartments with a little window in front, heated by a little lightbulb, for hours and hours, waiting for someone to put their 25 cent in the slot...

So. freaking. gross.  That's like... botchulism (or something) waiting to happen.

I don't think I could do the cheese curd gravy fries cause I don't like gravy.  What kind of gravy is it?  It looks like pork gravy to me, but I can't tell.  Or is it just "mystery gravy/brown sauce" from a powder packet?

hannaugh said:
What kind of gravy is it?  It looks like pork gravy to me, but I can't tell.  Or is it just "mystery gravy/brown sauce" from a powder packet?

depends where you get it.  The street vendors use mystery gravy, where top end restaurants (and yes there are some in town that have poutine on the menu) use duck confit.

Even though it's not even close to being the same thing, it reminds me of the famous hot brown.  I guess maybe because they're equally horrible for you.  It's an open faced turkey sandwich with white sauce and parmesan, toasted, with bacon and an optional tomato.

10886.jpg

ByteFrenzy said:
Marko said:

I'm afraid your right about the vending machines.. can't be healthy..
but that won't stop me from completely going crazy next time I see one of those things!!!

23977_2008011301443513.thumb.jpg

hannaugh said:
I don't think I could do the cheese curd gravy fries cause I don't like gravy.  What kind of gravy is it?  It looks like pork gravy to me, but I can't tell.  Or is it just "mystery gravy/brown sauce" from a powder packet?

You don't like gravy? That's one of my favorite foods!

To quote Homer Simpson: (Good gravy) "Thank you, it's just brown and water"
I have always wanted to use the eggnog quote from Futurama: "dad would whip up his special eggnog out of bourbon and ice cubes"

For those who at this point have succeeded in keeping their most recent lunch down, I would now like to remind you that Mayonnaise was originally NOT invented as a sauce to complement some other dish. It was intended to be the main course. Please, good Sir, here is your dinner for tonight, a great big bowl of freshly whipped Mayonnaise. Oh, after only thirty spoonfulls, your complexion is turning surprisingly greenish...

Back