the right string gauge for a 24 3/4 scale length?

slowist

I've got an esp eclipse coming in the mail and I want to put flatwound strings on it once it comes, I've put light ten gauge strings on my stratocaster before (10-42) and they've alright for me. I'm asking this because I'm big on bends and I NEED to be able to do them without too much resistance. The thing is I played an sg a little while ago with what I was told were 11 gauge strings, and I had very little trouble bending those strings, so I'm thinking the change in string tension is greater from 25.5 scale to 24 3/4 scale then I thought, but i'm not sure. Looking for someone with experience in this sort of thing, will a heavy 10 gauge set be flimsy for the scale length? or should I go with the 11s?

Generally speaking, the difference in tension between a 25 1/2" and a 24 3/4" scale is usually about one gauge set. So, 10s will feel like 9s going from a Strat to an SG, 11s will feel like 10s, etc.

I feel like 24.75 starts feeling tubby at 13. Anything 12 or below is fine.

Not that I am engaging in abuse with the 25.5 scale, but I always find when I touch a Gibby (usually when no one can see me and accuse me of it) I need to take it down a notch on the touching part as it always seems more delicate to me and has noticeably less tension on the strings. Most things hanging in shops have 10s or 9s strung on them, so that would be my reference for anything I have experienced on the subject. Following Cagey's observations, if you went 9s on a 24.75 scale you should be able to bend around a city block with a cup of coffee in the other hand.

Also keep in mind that flat vs round bend differently (I find flats stiffer), as well as materials and core shapes come into play. But all things being similar, rule of thumb, down 1 gauge for 24.75 scale length.

It's also worth mentioning that you don't need to string up with suspension bridge support cables to get a good, beefy "tone". Billy Gibbons plays spiderwebs (7s) on most of his guitars, the exceptions being the ones he plays slide on, where he climbs all the way up to 9s. You can hardly accuse him of not having a beefy tone. The only real downside to very light strings (or very tall frets) is you can't manhandle the neck without playing out of tune, especially noticeable on chords. But, learning not to fight with the neck is a worthwhile endeavor.

My initial draw to cables was the SRV wannabe thing. Now I'm at the polar opposite, and like super tight strings that stay put unless you really mean it, but with action as low as possible. Phil Collen of Def Leppard shreds on baseball bat necks with 13's.  I got into it when I started doing some larger (stretch) voicings and really like the fact that voicings with large stretches are easier to play without pulling them out of tune. 

I know it's not a real popular choice, but I use Ernie Ball Hybrids on both my short scale guitars: 9-11-16-26-36-46. (I also swap the 16P for an 18W, but I don't know anyone else who does.)

just got the eclipse in the mail, playing it for a little while now and I can immediately feel that the strings are probably 11 gauge and they feel tight but not too tight, I feel like stable is the right word for it, the strings fight back a little bit as far as bending goes, but not enough to be frustrating, a little bit of a workout, thinking next time I go to the store I'll pick up a set of flatwound 11s and hope I'm right

last time I put a set of 10 gauge flatwounds (d'addario heavies) on a 25.5 scale, I couldn't bend quite enough for a little over a week, that coupled with the floating floyd it was hard to deal with. That's why I always get a little miffed when I hear people say things like "anything lower than 13 gauge just feels like nylon strings, can't do it" I'm thinking might as well put bass strings on there at a certain point, but I guess that's more for people who don't bend? If not how can you even handle that?

after a while of playing and after trying some different bends, I'm thinking I should drop down a gauge, so I'll be buying 10 gauge strings instead, more easy of playing and less fighting with the strings for bends

BigSteve22 said:
I know it's not a real popular choice, but I use Ernie Ball Hybrids on both my short scale guitars: 9-11-16-26-36-46. (I also swap the 16P for an 18W, but I don't know anyone else who does.)

I like the hybrids as well - both in general, and in particular for P4 tuning.  I seems to give a better string-to-string balance across the set when in P4.

Pretty much what everybody else said. Flats are much "stiffer" than rounds.

If string noise is the reason you are going to flats, try a set of semi flats. There aren't too many decent flat sets out there that are gauged like a round 10 set--11's are considered lights in the flat wound world--so if noise is your main concern then semi's may be the way for you.

Speaking of decent, if you are going with flats, spend some money. I love me some Daddarios but their flats are s*++. My picks(in your gauge) in decentding order--prices (in USD)  from JustStrings.com

Thomostik-Infield Jazz Swing(.010 - .044) $23.80
Curt Mangan Curt Mangan Electric Guitar Stainless Steel Flatwound(009 - .042) $15.29
Curt Mangan Electric Guitar Stainless Steel Flatwound(.010 - .046) $15.29
LaBella Extra Light Jazz Flats(.009 - .039 the lightest set you are likely to find) $12.54
Pyramid Gold Chrome Nickel Flat Wounds(.010 - .052) $22.49
D'Addario Electric Guitar Chromes Flat Wound Extra Light(.010 - .048) $11.28

The first three are nickel and or stainless, the last three are chromed. I am not a big fan of chromed strings.

Hope that helps.

ChristopherG said:
Pretty much what everybody else said. Flats are much "stiffer" than rounds.

If string noise is the reason you are going to flats, try a set of semi flats. There aren't too many decent flat sets out there that are gauged like a round 10 set--11's are considered lights in the flat wound world--so if noise is your main concern then semi's may be the way for you.

Speaking of decent, if you are going with flats, spend some money. I love me some Daddarios but their flats are s*++. My picks(in your gauge) in decentding order--prices (in USD)  from JustStrings.com

Thomostik-Infield Jazz Swing(.010 - .044) $23.80
Curt Mangan Curt Mangan Electric Guitar Stainless Steel Flatwound(009 - .042) $15.29
Curt Mangan Electric Guitar Stainless Steel Flatwound(.010 - .046) $15.29
LaBella Extra Light Jazz Flats(.009 - .039 the lightest set you are likely to find) $12.54
Pyramid Gold Chrome Nickel Flat Wounds(.010 - .052) $22.49
D'Addario Electric Guitar Chromes Flat Wound Extra Light(.010 - .048) $11.28

The first three are nickel and or stainless, the last three are chromed. I am not a big fan of chromed strings.

Hope that helps.

thanks, I'll check out semi-flats on juststrings as soon as possible, string noise and the fact that they keep cleaner longer was the reason I wanted flatwounds but semis seem like a good idea

Cagey said:
It's also worth mentioning that you don't need to string up with suspension bridge support cables to get a good, beefy "tone". Billy Gibbons plays spiderwebs (7s) on most of his guitars, the exceptions being the ones he plays slide on, where he climbs all the way up to 9s. You can hardly accuse him of not having a beefy tone. The only real downside to very light strings (or very tall frets) is you can't manhandle the neck without playing out of tune, especially noticeable on chords. But, learning not to fight with the neck is a worthwhile endeavor.

But manhandling the neck is pretty much the only therapy I get  :laughing7: Why do you think I took up blues guitar as a second time arounder  :laughing7: I'll just hang out here and bend 10 gauge sets on my strat. That's me.

I run 009-011-016-026-036-046 on my 24-3/4" scale guitars. They are an ideal gauge and even work well for half-step down tuning and drop-D.

I use 9-42 (ie standard 009-set) on my 24" Strat.
Yes its slinky, but I like that. And I've used 008 in the past on longer scale guitars.

To the OP.... Load up the new Eclipse with what you presently use on your Strat and compare. If you have a new guitar AND new strings you won't know for some time how things compare.... So load up the Eclipse with strings you know the performance of, then you know whether the Eclipse would do better with a lighter or heavier gauge or stay the same. :icon_thumright:

I have a Warmoth 7/8 S that I have strung with Thomastik flats in .010–.044. It's a great sound and the playing feel is pretty light (bends no problem). But if you want to go just a touch heavier I have another suggestion as well: Optima makes a pure nickel wrapped flat wound string that is wonderful, starting at .010–.049. It really more like an .011 set. The sound is round, fundamental rich and just wonderful. I have a Tele strung up with these and it's perfect. Optima's are kind of hard to find but Stringsbymail.com has them.

Back