The Jazz Master

rauchman

Greetings,

Was just poking around in the "Just Out Of The Box" subform and was looking at various JM's.  They seem to have gained considerably in popularity over the last few years and find myself curious about them.  I can't even say what a traditional JM sounds like.

I remember playing either a JM or a Mustang at a jam when I was 16 or so and my impression was, "Well, it's not a Les Paul, Strat or modern shredder (please keep in mind.... this was the mid 80's), so it can't be cool, but wow, this thing is easy to play".  For the hell of it, I tried an $800'ish priced MIM JM while at GC not too long ago and the neck immediately felt undesirable to me due more to the profile and a bad setup, but the body felt...different, and not uncomfortable while sitting with it.

While I can't say I find them a great looking guitar shape, it's growing on me.  What niche does the JM occupy?  What sound is it known for?  What are your overall thoughts on the platform? 

Also, the Jazzcaster, aside from a different body shape, is there anything special to it comparative to a traditional Tele?....aside from a bunch more weight!

The Jazzmaster is a darling of the post-punk and alternative scene - Elvis Costello, Sonic Youth, Television, Dinosaur Jr.

Jazzmasters were designed by Fender to be a (duh) jazz guitar. The main gimmick is the rhythm circuit. It's a second set of pots with darker values, so the player can switch from a traditional Fender sound to a warmer, darker, jazzier tone.  Jazzmaster pickups are also a different beast compared to other Fender pickups. They're warmer and fatter than a typical Strat, but they still have clarity and jangle. The guitar didn't really take off in the jazz world because jazz players preferred Gibsons anyway. It ended up becoming a hit with surf rock players instead.

The indie, punk and alternative world have embraced them in the last few decades, a trend that started with the offset models being cheaper than other guitars. But now they're revered for their tone in their own right, and the trem is very popular as well for its shimmery effect.

The pickups are amazingly versatile. TheGreatRedDragon has described the sound pretty well. It can't quack but you can get elements of just about any other typical Fender sound out of them. What I'd consider the Jazzmaster sound is warm and full, with a bright 'edge' if that makes any sense.

A big part of the sound is that bridge. People will tell you lies and slander about it, but those people just haven't fully succumbed to Stockholm Syndrome yet. There are undoubtedly big issues with it - I swapped the stock bridge on mine for a Mastery after losing a grub screw on stage one too many times - but there's just something special about a well set up Jazzmaster. I don't know if it's the low break angle or the long string length behind the bridge but it has this wonderful percussive, resonant sort of sound that you can't get from other guitars. You lose a lot of sustain, and it'd be awful for screaming, bend-heavy solos (although J Mascis may disagree), but it's great for what it is. The narrow range of the vibrato makes it perfect for seasick, warbling shifts (see the entire shoegaze movement).

But the single greatest thing about the Jazzmaster is the playability. The thing is so perfectly balanced it makes you wonder how manufacturers get away with making other shapes. Sitting or standing it's the most comfortable guitar I own.

T89Rex said:
The pickups are amazingly versatile. TheGreatRedDragon has described the sound pretty well. It can't quack but you can get elements of just about any other typical Fender sound out of them. What I'd consider the Jazzmaster sound is warm and full, with a bright 'edge' if that makes any sense.

A big part of the sound is that bridge. People will tell you lies and slander about it, but those people just haven't fully succumbed to Stockholm Syndrome yet. There are undoubtedly big issues with it - I swapped the stock bridge on mine for a Mastery after losing a grub screw on stage one too many times - but there's just something special about a well set up Jazzmaster. I don't know if it's the low break angle or the long string length behind the bridge but it has this wonderful percussive, resonant sort of sound that you can't get from other guitars. You lose a lot of sustain, and it'd be awful for screaming, bend-heavy solos (although J Mascis may disagree), but it's great for what it is. The narrow range of the vibrato makes it perfect for seasick, warbling shifts (see the entire shoegaze movement).

But the single greatest thing about the Jazzmaster is the playability. The thing is so perfectly balanced it makes you wonder how manufacturers get away with making other shapes. Sitting or standing it's the most comfortable guitar I own.

Interesting info on the bridge.  Do I take it correctly then that if one were to build a Warmoth JM and not use the JM bridge,  but instead used something of a Strat design (Fender Vintage to Floyd Rose), there would something lost in making said JM?

Other players were Johnny Marr of the Smiths.

Put a Floyd on one  :icon_thumright:  You would gain something...

It is not a shape I am a fan of although I do like Rgands GOM winner. I even voted for it as it has a certain elegance and an inverted Strat jack plate.

If you want it to sound exactly like a JM, my position would be that you can't do it without the bridge.

But it depends whether that's what you actually want. A friend of mine has Jazzmaster pickup in the neck of a Tele with a Bigsby and that sounds great. The beauty of the custom guitar is picking and choosing.

T89Rex said:
The narrow range of the vibrato makes it perfect for seasick, warbling shifts (see the entire shoegaze movement).

I know I’m in a minority here, but I love the JazzMaster trem. Sometimes I think it’s even better than a Bigsby...

T89Rex said:
The beauty of the custom guitar is picking and choosing.

Right. I'm slowly working on putting together my 3rd JM, and the only thing it has in common with a typical JM is the body style. It is as you say - a very comfortable design and I appreciate that. If I had to use traditional JM hardware and electricals, I'd never touch one. But, that's just me.

The Jazzy Meister makes for a great 12-string body. I want to build one with a '65 12-string neck and write my song 'Game of Drone (strings)'. It'll be so garsh darn chill and mellow and the ending won't suck.

stratamania said:
It is not a shape I am a fan of although I do like Rgands GOM winner. I even voted for it as it has a certain elegance and an inverted Strat jack plate.
Thanks for that, stratamania. That's a very high compliment.

Kevin (Cagey) actually got me thinking about the shape. Before I built mine, I went over to GC and held one. I didn't plug in but I wanted to get a feel for the balance and fit. It was impressive. Then I built one to suit my own preferences.

Rgand said:
stratamania said:
Thanks for that, stratamania. That's a very high compliment.

Kevin (Cagey) actually got me thinking about the shape. Before I built mine, I went over to GC and held one. I didn't plug in but I wanted to get a feel for the balance and fit. It was impressive. Then I built one to suit my own preferences.

Your welcome.

Maybe at some point, I might be tempted.

The shape is awesome, and the Warmoth options are great.

I've had enough misfortune using the JM trems and bridges to have decided it's Bigsby + TOM for me.  Nothing beats it, IMO.

And as to weight, I got a JM body weighing 3.3 pounds from the showcase.  Try to find a telebody for less.  In certain sense the Vol and Ton controls are the same.  The basic sounds are between a single coil and humbucker.  But you can put in whatever pups and electronics you want.  The upper switch is sort of useless jazzy sound, unless you want a jazzy warm sound for leady stuff, but you can get that with different pups and playing with the tone control.

For me, it's all about the body shape.

"The upper switch is a useless jazzy sound unless you want a jazzy warm sound for leads"

Does this sentence confusify anybody else's ratiocination? It's a useless jazz sound unless you want a jazz sound. Like... what? Huh? Cor blimey? Is the sky just a blue hat the Earth wears? Am I just binge-watching my life pass by?

"It's useless except for this thing for which it is absolutely useful. Oh, also just use different pickups and not one of the key feature of this guitar design."

I'm not trying to break your balls but I'm trying to stretch my brain flesh around the comment and it isn't fitting.

Rick said:
The upper switch is sort of useless jazzy sound, unless you want a jazzy warm sound for leady stuff, but you can get that with different pups and playing with the tone control.

Another minority I’m in: I love the upper circuit. I have mine wired so that the pickup selector is still functional. I bet my JM is on the upper circuit more than the lower.

The Rhythm circuit is very underappreciated IMO. There's a lot of potential in being able to "store" a fine tuned setting you can flip to at a whim and there are many mod opportunities.

You are right that the body is comfortable and flexible. I am wrapping up my third JM build. First one was traditional, second one was a Jazzmaster, and this one is a double bucker with a strat tremolo bridge and I love all three....for different reasons. I was late to the party, too, just playing my first one a few years ago.

@60's
I'm building a jazzmastery guitar now ... can you post some pics?  I'd love to see how it turned out because by current build is a jm with a trem. :eek:ccasion14:

Back