The Finished Product

FERGUSON

I just got my guitar back from the tech yesterday. He mounted the new Warmoth neck onto my 2018 Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition N.A.M.M. American Custom Strat and it's a match made in heaven!

This Warmoth neck is easily the best neck I've ever played on. The craftsmanship is superb. The finished guitar is a dream come true.

Thank you Warmoth!

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 196

JohnnyHardtail

I would be interested to hear about the specs you chose, and the story behind your decision to do a neck swap.

FERGUSON

The story is a bit convoluted, I’m afraid. (I’ll post some photos below to illustrate.)

I bought this Strat new in 2018. The model name alone is quite a mouthful: “Fender Custom Shop 2018 N.A.M.M. Limited Edition American Custom Stratocaster in Dirty White Blonde.” Whew! The neck it came with was a very beautiful “Medium Roast 3A Birdseye Maple” with the 10/56 "V" profile, 9.5” radius, and 22 frets. Something about the rather chunky 10/56 “V” and the sorta heavy gloss finish just didn’t feel right in my hand. I never bonded with that neck. And the pairing of that neck with that particular body (which is basically a ’57 Mary Kaye) just wasn’t right. They weren’t meant for each other.

So I ordered a neck from Warmoth, but not the one you see in the photo above, in the OP. The specs of that first Warmoth neck are a follows:

• Construction:  Vintage/Modern Construction
• Neck Wood:  Roasted Maple
• Nut Width:  1-11/16"
• Back Shape:  'Clapton'
• Fret Size:  SS6115 Wide & Tall (stainless steel)
• Radius:  10"-16" Compound
• No. of Frets:  22
• Inlays:  Premium Abalone Face Dots
• Finish:  Vintage Tint Satin Nitro

It was a beautiful neck too. But it also was a mis-pairing. The nut width, the satin finish, the very light weight and thin profile just didn’t mate well with the body and pickups and such. I sold it.

So I bit the bullet and ordered my dream neck from Warmoth. Specs as follows:

• Construction: Vintage/Modern
• Shaft Wood: **Highly** Select Quartersawn Maple
• Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm) - Vintage Medium
• Neck Profile: ‘Clapton’
• Fretboard Radius: Straight 9.5"
• Number of Frets: 22
• Fret Size & Material: GD6150 - Wide & Tall (Gold)
• Position Marker Inlay: Black Mother of Pearl
• Nut: Earvana Nut - GraphTech White TUSQ XL
• Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss (Maple/Maple)

Finally this was the match made in heaven. The body, pickups, and neck work beautifully together.

So I’m a happy boy!

JohnnyHardtail

The story makes sense overall.  I like the roasted maple neck, but the quartersawn plain maple is a great choice as well.

The vintage tint finish and gold frets are really well matched to your guitar.  :icon_thumright:

FERGUSON

JohnnyHardtail said:
Did you notice any change in tone between the different necks?

Pretty dramatic, actually. Both the roasted necks were more mellow than the current one.

JohnnyHardtail

The traditional maple necks have a reputation for snappy tone on a strat.  I have never owned a quartersawn maple neck, but I would like to try one.