The Driftwood Strat Project.....I hate waiting

scartozi

Hello everyone,

Well this week will be 3 weeks since I ordered my new custom neck for my MIA Strat and I must say it seems more like 3 months! On this build I'm going for the look of weathered wood or as I like to call it Driftwood Strat, although not as gray as driftwood. Anyways, I just finished the body today and other than my neck I'm also waiting on my wooden pickguard and wenge tone knobs. Hopefully they come in by next weekend and I can get the body all put back together and ready for my new neck!!
Neck Specs:
Wenge with Ebony fretboard
No fret markers
Standard Thin contour
1 3/4" Nut
Black Graph Tech XL nut
6100 frets
Warmoth Headstock

Will post pics once I have the body put back together and of course once the neck comes in. It's nice to see everyones projects and completed guitars, can't wait to share my pics.

the warmoth headstock will be interesting on a traditional strat. definitely looking forward to seeing this one!

I thought about the angeled strat option but I'm just a fan of the 3x3 headstock.....it's what I'm use to. And like you.....I myself am curious to see what it will look like. I got Cosmo Black Gotoh 510 w/ebony tuner buttons, should look good with the wenge. I won't know till it's all put together but I may go with a black bridge and jackplate....don't know yet. The bridge and jackplate I have now are aged and still go with the overall theme of the guitar. If I do go with black I'm getting them powder coated flat black.

Here are some pics of the begining and 1st coat of tung oil after the stain........hope the pics post.

The last picture was with the 1st coat of tung oil and before I buffed with 0000 steel wool so it's a little shinny. It's suppose to "look old" and I tried to leave the area where your arm rests a little rougher so the stain would soak in more to produce a dirty effect. I'm now done with 6 coats of tung oil and alhtough it looks like it may be rough it's as smooth as glass......I hope to get time to take some pics this weekend.

Couple more pictures. I used the key method of relicing the body before sanding cause I wanted to retain as much of the black dents as possible to add to the old guitar theme.

Just took some more pics, the body is finally done! The pic of the back came out a little bright. These are all I can post till my pickguard and knobs come in. Then I can get the body put back together and post some more pics.

Sorry pics are so big.....I'll resize next time. If you right click on a pic and choose "open in new window" you can see the whole pic a little better.

Thanks.....that exactally the "vibe" I'm going for. I think the wenge neck and ebony fretboard (no fret marker) will look great with the color of the body.....hopefully :icon_biggrin:

fudging beautiful. Alder? Throw some "vintage" or "underwound" puppies in her. That will make her scream.

The body is Adler......and thank you! I was nervous when I started sanding cause I didn't know what the wood grain was going to look like, but overall I'm very happy with the way it turned out. Think I'll go ahead and install the jackplate and bridge/temelo.....don't need the pickguard for that.

i think it'll look good with that headstock. i've got a black strat with a warmoth headstock maple neck, but my strat is pretty far from traditional since it's rear routed and has 2 humbuckers. that body is looking great so far!

JaySwear........if you get time post a pic, I havent been able to find a picture of a strat with a warmoth headstock.

Here are a couple pics of the bridge and jackplate installed and a little better pic of the back.

scartozi said:
Paul-Less.........I have vintage noiseless pickups in it now....does that count

Sure. As long as they aren't "hot" or "overwound".

Seriously though, that is one of the most beautiful guitars I've seen on this forum. GOTY quality. I need to know, where did you find your process for relic'ing? I am going to have to buy another hardtail strat to do this to.

Wow that's quite a complement...thanks! I don't know what "GOTY quality" means but sounds good :toothy12:

My relic'ing process came from about 5 months of looking online at countless different websites.....ect. Most of it was my own "intuition" so to speak. I'd be more than happy to help out with any questions you may have on your next project or just in general.

Back