The Difference

Szar

What is the difference between the regular strat and the angled strat. I know, its the angle. But what is the advantage of using the angled version?

Also the angled neck is done with a scarf joint, as opposed to a single piece of wood. I'm pretty sure the scarf joint is stronger. i know it's definitely better for gibson style necks.

GoDrex said:
Also the angled neck is done with a scarf joint, as opposed to a single piece of wood. I'm pretty sure the scarf joint is stronger. i know it's definitely better for gibson style necks.

how many snapped gibson headstocks vs broken fender necks have you seen!!  :icon_biggrin:

Marko said:
GoDrex said:

how many snapped gibson headstocks vs broken fender necks have you seen!!  :icon_biggrin:

I wasn't going to say it.  :laughing7:

Marko said:
GoDrex said:

Pretty much he meant that for angled headstocks...
There is no contest about streight headstock being stronger... But a scarf joing or multi-piece neck can be very strong too...

The reason straight Fender necks do not break as often is because if the guitar falls flat (most common) the flat Fender style headstock does not bear the blunt of the impact, whereas any 13 degree headstock like Gibsons and most acoustic guitars (unless you're talking about Fender acoustics) due to the angle of the headstock should the guitar fall flat the headstock takes the blunt of the impact, combined with the weight of the tuner they are almost certainly going to break.

not only that, but the grain is very short on a gibson style neck+headstock, at the location where the headstock and neck meet. if you've got a scarf joint, like warmoth does, its almost as strong as a fender style neck.

Back