The Cementacaster

Mike Seta

Carved from a Warmoth alder body, this Tele is made to look like a slab of cement with stress fractures and pitting.

Attachments

• CC_00FB.jpg
    CC_00FB.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 488
  • CC_09LR.jpg
    CC_09LR.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 505
  • CC_10FB.jpg
    CC_10FB.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 442
  • CC_02LR.jpg
    CC_02LR.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 423
  • CC_03LR.jpg
    CC_03LR.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 415
  • CC_04LR.jpg
    CC_04LR.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 424
  • CC_05LR.jpg
    CC_05LR.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 394
  • CC_06LR.jpg
    CC_06LR.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 406
  • CC_07LR.jpg
    CC_07LR.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 408
  • CC_08LR.jpg
    CC_08LR.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 439
:kewlpics:

That's outstanding. I didn't blow up the pics to look, but did you break the body apart and glue it back together?

Thanks. No, the body is all one piece. I carved the cracks right into the wood. They are only about 1/4" deep, so the strength of the body isn't compromised at all. I painted the insides of the cracks black to make them look a lot deeper. It's a little Disney magic!

Mike Seta said:
Thanks. No, the body is all one piece. I carved the cracks right into the wood. They are only about 1/4" deep, so the strength of the body isn't compromised at all. I painted the insides of the cracks black to make them look a lot deeper. It's a little Disney magic!
awesome.  I couldn't tell on the cell phone.  Look forward to blowing the pics up on a big monitor.

Thanks Bagman67. I've been busy working on lots of guitars, but I've decided to only post on here when I do something kinda new and different than what I normally do.

I'm open to suggestions too!

Did you use a paint which mimics the look of cement, or did you add a thin veneer of cement down? It's that hard to tell!  :laughing8:

I was half expecting a thin piece of reo- bar to be poking out of the side...

GREAT JOB!  :headbang:

Thanks! No, it's just paint directly on the wood. If you look at the pic of the unfinished body, you'll see that every little hole and crack was carved. The key is to "model" the finish so it's not completely solid. I studied real concrete, and when a tiny piece breaks away, the exposed edge is much lighter in color because it's not been exposed to the elements and dirt. So I used a dry brush technique to highlight all of the tiny edges with almost pure white. Several coats of lacquer helped smooth over the wood effect. It was fun figuring this one out!

That's really a spectacular piece!

You remind me of a model builder I knew when I was just a puppy. He had it down to a fine science like you do, where he'd study the actual parts he was trying to model so that when he was done, you'd swear it was the real thing that had gone through some sorta miniaturization machine.

What do you do with a piece of art like that, though? You don't dare take it out, do you?

Cagey said:
What do you do with a piece of art like that, though? You don't dare take it out, do you?

Hang it up on display in your living room & watch guests go up to it & tap it to see if it's real concrete or not?  :icon_jokercolor:  :tard:

Back