the cardboard guitar is now mostly wood..

big bob

So I now have mostly wood components on the body, soon I hope to glue all the parts in and start the sanding and filing for the prep for glassing.. I have nickel covered Dimarzio pups (air zone, and classic paf ) and just bought an angled strat neck off the showcase (maple/maple) I will probably do a ½ scallope. Have some planet waves locking auto trim tuners coming all I still need is a bigsby (b5) and a bridge..

Excuse me by asking it, but what's the idea of the build? And what do you mean by glassing it??

Looks a very long job :)

NonsenseTele said:
Excuse me by asking it, but what's the idea of the build? And what do you mean by glassing it??

Looks a very long job :)

I mistakenly started this thred in the strat section, forgot not everyone had seen it. the body has a soild cypress core and the wings are being constructed like a wooden boat, with ribs and cross braces. once all the structure is in place and guled I plan on streaching fiberglass cloth over it and coating with epoxy resin, like on a surf board.. as for the Idea behind it.. I've not a clue!  just something to do too relax at the ed of the day and on the weekends. I had such a good time making the mini v I thought I would try another..

Sounds interesting!  I imagine it will be resonant, almost echo-y.  Keep us posted  :kewlpics:

I always wondered about (solid) cypress guitars.. should be a great tonewood!
also, I love those bald cypress swamps..

"When the levee breaks..." you can just hop on your guitar and surf outta there.

DangerousR6 said:
Very intersting, kinda like building a boat....Or and airplane... :icon_thumright:

verry much like a plane wing, my father rebuilds antique aircraft and thats kinda what I was thinking about when I started the drawings for the build. kinda like a Qcf-2 waco biplane wing.

It reminds me of the days I would build R/C airplanes.  Looks a lot like them.  I was thinking instead of fiberglass, maybe canvas...  But the fiberglass would probably be more durable.  That is really cool looking though.

the body is very close to the point where I can glue it all together. only have the control cavity face plate and rim left to fabricate
I ordered a neck ..usps says it's on the way, my pups are here, I got a b5 Bigsby on the bay for 70 bucks (should be here this week)
won't be long now.. I will post picts once it's glued and ready for glassing.

the neck is here and looking sweeeeeeeeeeeeettt. tomorrow we scalope..  bigsby should be here soon..  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

here are some in progress shots of the scallope, It's late and I'm tired
will have to finish tomarrow.

Back