the cardboard guitar is now mostly wood..

big bob

So I now have mostly wood components on the body, soon I hope to glue all the parts in and start the sanding and filing for the prep for glassing.. I have nickel covered Dimarzio pups (air zone, and classic paf ) and just bought an angled strat neck off the showcase (maple/maple) I will probably do a ½ scallope. Have some planet waves locking auto trim tuners coming all I still need is a bigsby (b5) and a bridge..

NonsenseTele

Excuse me by asking it, but what's the idea of the build? And what do you mean by glassing it??

Looks a very long job :)

big bob

NonsenseTele said:
Excuse me by asking it, but what's the idea of the build? And what do you mean by glassing it??

Looks a very long job :)

I mistakenly started this thred in the strat section, forgot not everyone had seen it. the body has a soild cypress core and the wings are being constructed like a wooden boat, with ribs and cross braces. once all the structure is in place and guled I plan on streaching fiberglass cloth over it and coating with epoxy resin, like on a surf board.. as for the Idea behind it.. I've not a clue!  just something to do too relax at the ed of the day and on the weekends. I had such a good time making the mini v I thought I would try another..

dbw

Sounds interesting!  I imagine it will be resonant, almost echo-y.  Keep us posted  :kewlpics:

m4rk0

I always wondered about (solid) cypress guitars.. should be a great tonewood!
also, I love those bald cypress swamps..

C

callaway

"When the levee breaks..." you can just hop on your guitar and surf outta there.

big bob

DangerousR6 said:
Very intersting, kinda like building a boat....Or and airplane... :icon_thumright:

verry much like a plane wing, my father rebuilds antique aircraft and thats kinda what I was thinking about when I started the drawings for the build. kinda like a Qcf-2 waco biplane wing.

ognolman

It reminds me of the days I would build R/C airplanes.  Looks a lot like them.  I was thinking instead of fiberglass, maybe canvas...  But the fiberglass would probably be more durable.  That is really cool looking though.

big bob

the body is very close to the point where I can glue it all together. only have the control cavity face plate and rim left to fabricate
I ordered a neck ..usps says it's on the way, my pups are here, I got a b5 Bigsby on the bay for 70 bucks (should be here this week)
won't be long now.. I will post picts once it's glued and ready for glassing.

big bob

the neck is here and looking sweeeeeeeeeeeeettt. tomorrow we scalope..  bigsby should be here soon..  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

big bob

here are some in progress shots of the scallope, It's late and I'm tired
will have to finish tomarrow.