The biggest contributor to all my mistakes and goofups

Volitions Advocate

I've figured it out.

I need a permanent, well equipped workbench.  All this migrating from desk to kitchen table to living room floor is a bunch of nonsense and It's really detrimental to my builds.
I'm sick of living in a 4-plex.  I need a garage.

What kind of set up do most of you guys have for a workbench? Pics if you have em!

Share your tips and tricks.

Don't we all! I use the dining room table.  :sad1:

My house has a 'hobby shed' that would serve nicely, but since we rent, I don't see a point in trying to set it up for any kind of permanency.

I have one room dedicated, it has a 6x3 table for working on stuff, and parts drawers, soldering station, plenty of room on the walls to hang guitars and plenty of room to work on a guitars and amps.

Now, if I could actually SEE the floor, or even the bench, though all the little projects, clutter, and crap that has piled up...then I'd have a nice place to work on stuff.

I have a manhole / guitar room / workspace

it's like on the pics below, except there is a full size sofa (bed),  a computer, and a workmate thingy in it now..

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

I've got a workshop with two benches.  One for rough wood work, and another for electronics.  I build my guitars on the rough bench with a little su-mac pad on it.
I've also got a drill press, several vices/clamps, many drawers full of tools, several hand/power drills, jigsaw/circular saw, a router in a routing table, aaaand....

... a sawsall!  Just what's required for re-shaping your neck contour!!  :headbang:

Marko said:

Woah, that is the exact desk that my mom has.  Weird.

Here's my work space.  I do my artwork, jewelry, and guitar projects there.  My mom has 3 other work tables packed into that garage where she does her custom picture framing stuff.  Almost everything in there rolls out so we can get natural light if we want it.  We have a power saw, a moulding chopper (which my mom almost cut her finger off with one time.  Fun!) various other handheld power tools, and a vise.  Oh, we also have a compressor and some pnuematic tools as well. 

These pictures are just of my corner of the garage.  My work table is actually 2 tables, one is square and the other is L shaped.  I put them together and put a piece of sealed plywood on top to do my watercolors on.  It's pretty cool because sometimes I need an odd shaped table, or I just need a smaller table, and I can just take it apart.  I designed it and my fiance and I built it last summer. 

3367137748_7ca522cf3b.jpg

3367137510_b1596de3c1.jpg

3366313785_18b7521832.jpg

Though, the really cool shop is my fiance's dad's woodshop.  It's bigger than my house.  He has 2 table saws, a couple radial arm saws, several routers, a jigsaw, a belt sander, the list goes on.  He also has a huge pile of priceless redwood.  I'm not sure how he got it, but it's really cool stuff.  We hope to inherit it some day. 

exalted said:
Don't we all! I use the dining room table.  :sad1:

My house has a 'hobby shed' that would serve nicely, but since we rent, I don't see a point in trying to set it up for any kind of permanency.

Dining room table for me. Best lighting in the house.

And my wife just loves me having tools and all the fixins spread out day after day......yeah right :binkybaby:

hahaha... I've crapped up so many little projects by sitting on a couch while using a power tool... luckily I haven't gotten my hands on anything super expensive that I can ruin!!! I'll move to the kitchen counter for my first warmoth  :toothy10:

I got these wooden foldable TV trays for a gift a couple years ago.  Put 'em all next too each other, cover with a bath towel, and it makes a decent guitar work surface. 

I'd love to build a dedicated work bench though.  One of these days when I get around to it. :)

He also has a huge pile of priceless redwood. We hope to inherit it some day.

Hannaugh, it's not worth it - it's just wood, OK?  :eek: Yes, we love wood - we all love wood - but we don't love wood that much, OK? - OK? :eek:

(And she seemed like such a nice gurrl when she first got here.... :sad1:)

P.S. (It's advised to use smilies when you discuss patricide right on the open internet....) - :laughing7: - :laughing11: - :toothy10: - :hello2: - :headbang:

blimpo said:
And my wife just loves me having tools and all the fixins spread out day after day......yeah right :binkybaby:

yep... there's my situation right there.

oh stubby. i'm so glad you're here  :laughing11:

stubhead said:
He also has a huge pile of priceless redwood. We hope to inherit it some day.

Hannaugh, it's not worth it - it's just wood, OK?  :eek: Yes, we love wood - we all love wood - but we don't love wood that much, OK? - OK? :eek:

(And she seemed like such a nice gurrl when she first got here.... :sad1:)

P.S. (It's advised to use smilies when you discuss patricide right on the open internet....) - :laughing7: - :laughing11: - :toothy10: - :hello2: - :headbang:

Haha.  :laughing11:    Nooooooooooo.

He's a sweet man.  If we had a project in mind, he would probably just give us the redwood.  We just don't know what we want to do with it yet.  He has had it for years and years and he still hasn't done anything with it. 

Back