Tetris players and small space studio architects

DustyCat

Anybody good with small space studio design for 10' x 16' living room?

Right now im going crazy in my one bedroom apartmebt with the functions of rooms overlapping with each other and aim to consolidate/organize stuff.

The living room is about 10' wide and 16' long...but the way I currently have things set up, its actually 16' wide and 10 long (see pictures)

One suggestion my family is strongly pushing is the idea of a wall structure, floor to ceiling, with cabinets/drawers and countertop space with lights installed just above the countertop and underneath the cabinets etc.

Their idea is to enclose the amps with cabinets down below, maybe a few drawers, i like the idea of a pullout drawer for my cheapo casio keyboard, and more countertop/desk space for my laptop, mixer, and hopefully some room for writing/paper etc. Also I have small closet space so another idea is to hang dowel rods in the uppercabinets to hang clothes (which might also double as sound absorption).

Maybe you guys have some creative ideas...because the problem is that the living room also has some furniture in it like a 7 foot couch and a recliner that I got on sale, and a round table that kicks ass when you pull it out and sit on the floor around it.

Its like right now my bedroom is also half a studio abd my living room is half a studio etc.

...and whatever I need is always in the other room...grrrrr...

Note the three window and the dual access.

Attachments

• Living Room 1.jpg
    Living Room 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Living Room 2.jpg
    Living Room 2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Living Room 3.jpg
    Living Room 3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 307
Some things that I value are

• Dedicated space for amps/guitars,
  • Useable drawers (not too deep),
    • Countertop space,
    • Maybe pull out drawers, like for a keyboard if possible
      • Straight up desk space, like writing or drawing
      • Space for an 8 channel mixer
        • Would also be cool to have a green screen/space for a dedicated video camera etc.
        • What else should I think of?

Are there any "must have" space saver ideas that you have discovered in your time? For instance, for me, banging a nail/hook in the back of a cabinet drawer makes a handy space to hang a coiled up cable.

This is one possibility that has been proposed

Attachments

• Living Room 4.jpg
    Living Room 4.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 304
I just walked around an IKEA yesterday. They had a lot of sample layouts of smaller living areas. Amazing what they had fitted in.

But yes the compartments and using the wall space to best advantage appear to be key.

I would not enclose amp cans while they are in use. It messes with how the sounds come off the speakers and around the baffle.

Lose the bed and sleep on the couch, buys back that wall.  Put the compartmentalized storage there like you have drawn, but part of that could be a fold-down desk surface...

c697513e0a408cc8e0196fc4f8257667--drop-down-desk-fold-down-desk.jpg

...so you could lose the desk on the other wall, put your music gear over there.

If you must have a full bed, there's always the Murphy bed trick...

334a509fa11874d31325e9f38c67628a.jpg

Lets you fold it up into the wall and open up your living space. Can have storage built-in around it.

You could also lose the bed and the couch both, replace the couch with a futon...

category_futons-kd.jpg

Has storage underneath, folds out into a bed. Pretty efficient use of space.

Stratamania's idea to go wander an Ikea (or any major furniture store, for that matter) is a good one. Even if they don't have anything you can use or afford, it'll give you all sorts of ideas that are easier to see in your mind's eye when you have help from your actual eyes.

Kevin has some good ideas.

Also, could you make a bunk bed type of piece with your amps and such accessible underneath?

Edit: I found a photo of something similar to that.

4fd77d1cac606786302091473d8d6894.jpg

Yes, beds take up a lotta space, so anytime you can use the space under them you're further ahead. Which brings another idea to mind - smaller gear. There are a lotta pedalboard amps out there now from some pretty respectable manufacturers, most of which sound remarkably good and aren't expensive...

6945088_800.jpg

7-ra.jpg

IMG_0017_WEB.jpg

Doesn't matter much anyway, since most guys are doing all sorts of stuff to the signal before it ever gets to the amp. So, get brace of good pedals and a pedalboard amp, and it won't be much taller than 5". Slide it under damn near anything, or put the top on it and set it off in a corner somewhere when it's not in use. Use headphones to hear it, or a small 1x12 speaker, and you've got a lotta capability in a small space.

Even if you don't hide it, consolidation is a Good Thing. This guy's whole gig-ready pile o' gear stands in a space about 2' on a side when it's not in use...

tone_bum_pedalboard_lg_960px.jpg

A trundle bed would work if you didn't have a bed on the top but instead put shelves, drawers or some/all your gear above it. The bed could roll out to use it or when you wanted somewhere for more people to sit.

iu

Good stuff you guys!  :headbang:

Just came back from BB&B recently...first time I've been in that store in several years.
Picked up some wooden bed lifts which will help utilize the space UNDER the bed for hardshell guitar cases. Of course, I forgot to read the fine print, so if I want to stack two guitars underneath, I've gotta go back and buy ANOTHER set of 4 (they are stackable)...the next time that store pops up in the rotation...in a couple of years...

I like the idea of the pull out desk, but I'm not sure I have much faith in those chains with expensive equipment. Would much prefer kickstands to support from the bottom.

Murphy bed is a good idea, but will require discipline to keep that space clean/neat when I'm not using it.

Futon is a possibility since the couch feature is super handy/usable. I also like the idea of pull out drawers from underneath. That 7' couch I got on sale for $599 at Ashley has these metal bars on the bottom that prevent any kind of drawers and also prevent any kind of table that looks like a "[" from sliding underneath. That "[" table would also be hand to put a beverage on etc.

I'm a big fan of curtains. Those cubicles look like the ones we used in lessons when I taught guitar for a small time...just cram more teachers and more students and get that extra cash (store owner).

Pedals...man, this one I'm not sure about anymore...I mean...there's something about using a stomp box for overdrive that keeps the tone light and airy vs. my 800 half stack that tries to amplify everything ALL OF THE TIME. That's what it's SUPPOSED to do right? And I love my 800 after I put in the hours to tame her to get that sweet singing sustain, chiming pinch harmonics, and roaring crunch. It's an amplifier that gets the thunder, but there is definitely a difference in feel to me. When I use an overdrive pedal into a relatively clean amp, the overdrive is much more tame and controllable...and I can pack it up in a bag that doesn't break my back...

Here's an example of overdrive tone not from an amp, but from a multi effects pedal. I saw this dude was using a cheap zoom pedal and he gets great tone from it! Straight into the PA if I remember correctly

[youtube]dYxQNzVUCDI[/youtube]

Cagey said:
Yes, beds take up a lotta space, so anytime you can use the space under them you're further ahead. Which brings another idea to mind - smaller gear. There are a lotta pedalboard amps out there now from some pretty respectable manufacturers, most of which sound remarkably good and aren't expensive...

tone_bum_pedalboard_lg_960px.jpg

Is that an XLR cable going into the pedalboard?​

Could be. Sorta looks like it. It's not clear enough to say for certain.

Although with an analog 'board like that one, I don't know if it's possible to get away with a single line like that, it is possible to to have a 'board that will work with that little hookup. My main board only has one line between it and the rack (seen in upper left corner) that carries all data/power, but it's just a controller board. No signal on it.

Pedalboard_Sm_zpsljas51uy.jpg

Back