The Aluminaxx "Vintage Custom" #001

The biggest bugaboo about video demos is they rarely address clean tones. I can't hear what a guitar does when it starts from howling, and then gets worse.... :party07: I use a lot of clean tones in playing, and a good guitar will sound better at it than a bad guitar. Plug it into a Roland Jazz Chorus (no chorus on) or a Twin Reverb set at "3" and play up the neck, demonstrating the full range of the tone controls. The high notes should still be round, and the low notes clear - aluminum ought to work great for this. The Travis Bean is the one guitar that I really, really wished I had back - the low strings sounded like a grand piano. One test that many guitars fail is how the low wound strings sound, way up the neck - 17th fret and above.

I don't know what test rig you'll be using, but one issue with any direct recording is that "real" speakers knock off frequencies above 6K in a big way, and an awful lot of samples don't duplicate this, hence they sound proportionately "thin."  It's just because they're letting through a lot more high frequencies than a real-world amplifier would, but it can skew results tonally. I personally prefer to use a bright signal initially to drive amps then depend on the speakers to roll off highs, but an aluminum guitar direct to disc may be a little bitey - just a bit...  :dontknow:
What you wouldn't want to do is alter the guitar itself somehow to make it sound good through a POD into a computer and out through your mini 1.5" computer speakers, then sound like total mush through a Marshall - oh no!  :eek: :hello2: :toothy10: :blob7:

No offense,but cleans? bleh. For me,Im not doing Beatles tunes,but..

How much different would this be from this one?
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXwc6wd1iJs[/youtube]

I dont see any reason why Alum. cant make for a nice guitar or tones. Heck,some graphite and even carbon-fibre ones Ive tried have sounded very nice...

I'd be interested in cleans. I want my guitars to have many good sounds, not just built for distortion, not just built for cleans.

I'm not huge on that guy's tone, though (in the video)

Not saying cleans are bad,per se, just I dont use em in my own music much.And I dont do a lot of covers of anything that does..
As for his tone-it is going through a recent Marshall (ugh,gonna shower after typing that word :sad:) BUT, you can still get an idea of what they sound like clean-even when played dirty-because if the guitar naturally over-emphasizes any frequencies -it will just be pronounced that much more when cranked/hi gain. This one seems fairly even sounding,I'd think

As promised.

http://www.youtube.com/v/1sG6XShGIzc&hl

24bit/48khz master - no post-processing
youtube audio dithering took some life out of the audio

ran this through 1x12 Fender Blues Jr. (straight for the cleans) (GNX3 pedalboard for the grease) through a Cascade ribbon (Vin-Jet) mic into a Universal Audio LA-610 mic pre into an HD-24 MWV Absolutely no post-processing was involved other than youtube's dithering horse-puckey. You'll notice the deep bass frequencies getting chopped off near the end because of it. *#$%&(@*&!
keep rockin'
:headbang:

Man, that thing sounds great, doesn't it? (Using some decent Sennheiser cans....) The attack is what seems to be so different about metal guitars, they really bite even if it's not trebly cause the envelope of the notes open so quick. You think "metal guitar = metal music" but I end up using my aluminum "tele-shaped" guitar for fingerpicking jazz, because it's so intense.
Between this and the upcoming Warmoth 30" scale basses, I really need to rob a bank, inherit millions from an unknown uncle, ummm, somebody drop a bale in my yard? :toothy10: Anyone wanna buy a cat.... :help:

Back