Telecaster Deluxe build

Jack_H

Hello all.

A little less than a year ago I saw some YouTube videos on guitar building.  That got me interested and I bought one of those Chinese Les Paul guitar kit.  As I started building it I started replacing kit parts with better quality ones.  Eventually I got a whole new set of parts, and the original kit... well, let's say it was a learning experience.

Few months ago I discovered Warmoth, and since I already have most of the parts for it, I ordered a Telecaster Deluxe alder body, Warmoth roasted maple neck, pick guard, and misc. parts.  They arrived about a week ago.

And away we go!

Attachments

• Neck Body Front.jpg
    Neck Body Front.jpg
    459.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Neck Body Back.jpg
    Neck Body Back.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 26
Beautiful parts. Alder doesn't always have that nice grain pattern to it. Yours looks great. I look forward to seeing your progress. The Tele Deluxe is one of my favorite models.

Wired up this hot mess today.  Note to self to get a ground wire.

Interestingly, there's an angled hole near bridge presumably for ground wire, but it's not drilled through.

Attachments

• Pickguard Front.jpg
    Pickguard Front.jpg
    718.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Pickguard Back.jpg
    Pickguard Back.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 11
NICE!
My Tele Deluxe build is being shipped today. Can't wait. What colors are you going with, and what pickups did you load it with?

I am using Varathane's Red Mahogany wood stain and Formby's Tung Oil Finish.  Yeah yeah I know it's not real tung oil.  They are what I happened to have in the garage and they worked out well with the last kit.  The Formby gives a light sheen, which I feel works well with the satin neck finish.

The first stain coat was light because I only gave it a cursory shake.  I stirred it a bit and gave it two more coats.  I am on third coat of Formby, giving a light buff with steel wool and paper towel between coats.

The tuners are Hipshot locking, the wiring Toneman's Classic Les Paul 50s, and the pickups Seymour Duncan Hotrodded JB & Jazz set.

Don't know how they will all work together, but there's only one way to find out.

Almost sounds like we are. building the same guitar.lol
I ordered my body finished in trans red. I did a mahogany body and regular maple neck. 550K super pots and orange drops. putting in friedman pickups.

Look forward to seeing this built.

Recently took a risk on the Hipshot locking tuners myself. I love them. The ratio is great and they're very well made, certainly as good if not better than my other locking tuners.

Gonna have to trim the shielding.

I also shielded the pick guard.  Warmoth put foil under pot and switch holes, I think for static.

You can see from the top pic there's a hole for ground wire above string holes, but it's not drilled through.  I don't think I have a drill bit long enough, so maybe I will cut a groove across instead.  It will be easier to run the ground wire through.  Maybe.

Attachments

• Body Front.jpg
    Body Front.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Body Back.jpg
    Body Back.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 18
Jack_H said:
You can see from the top pic there's a hole for ground wire above string holes, but it's not drilled through.  I don't think I have a drill bit long enough, so maybe I will cut a groove across instead.  It will be easier to run the ground wire through.  Maybe.
Aircraft drills (12" long drill bits) aren't that expensive. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes. They should be available on ebay or Amazon, too. If you cut a groove, make sure it is covered by the pickguard all the way across.

Here's a listing for a 1/8" one on ebay. You may need a different size but this gives you an idea what you want.

Jack_H said:
...You can see from the top pic there's a hole for ground wire above string holes, but it's not drilled through...

Are you sure? AFAIK Warmoth always drill the ground wire hole (and drilling it is what would have made the visible hole). Try poking a bit of stiff wire or something through; it might just be blocked with a wood chip.

I first said that because I didn't see an exit hole in the control cavity.  I just double checked and it stopped at about 4 inches in.

These things happen.

Jack_H said:
You can see from the top pic there's a hole for ground wire above string holes, but it's not drilled through.

You are the second person I have seen say that, I wonder why that is, that they would start it but not drill it all the way through?
Couldn't you just run more shielding tape from the bridge pickup cavity under the bridge plate? wouldn't that create a sufficient enough grounding, and it would all be covered by the bridge and pickguard.

pwrmac7600 said:
Couldn't you just run more shielding tape from the bridge pickup cavity under the bridge plate? wouldn't that create a sufficient enough grounding, and it would all be covered by the bridge and pickguard.
The instruction is to solder a ground wire to back of a tone pot and run it to under the bridge.  If this is feasible it would certainly save me the hassle of scrounging for a bit of wire and drilling.

Here it is, in all its cobbled together glory.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 22
What did you end up doing with the grounding wire? I'm pretty sure the shielding tape under the bridge and connected to the shielding in the bridge pickup cavity would work, but have never tried it in practice. My body and neck arrive Friday, can't wait!

Thank you all for your complements.  Here's a few takeaways from the build:

- When I had a wire in the ground wire hole, the angle seemed to indicate that the hole would end up under the routing.  I used a strip of copper shielding as suggested and see if it would work.  A groove cut across would not be covered by the bridge or pick guard.

- If I were to do this again, I would first trace the routings and control cavity and transfer it on the back of the pick guard.  This way when doing the wiring I can tape the wires to where the routing would be, and the pick guard would drop right in and I wouldn't have to struggle with loose wires.  This also let me know how much wire I need and cut off the excess before soldering.  I jumped right into soldering and ended up with a jumble of mess.

- Telecaster Deluxe needs 15 pick guard screws.  Warmoth sells them 12 per pack.  Good thing I counted before ordering. 

The biggest fear I have now is I'd plug it in and.... nothing!  :dontknow:  Or worse yet, it starts smoldering.  But this is still a work in progress.  I might have to take it apart and start over.  Who knows, I might even learn to play it!

CORRECTION: It's 16 pick guard screws.

Back