Telecaster Body w Quilt Maple Lam Top - Transparent w/o Binding or Masked Edge?

JohnnyHardtail said:
AFAIK, "White korina" is the same wood as "black korina", except they exclude the parts with black grain and mineral streaking.

I'm curious to see how it matches, but if I was choosing for myself I would get the Korina and choose a different finish like "Blue burst" or "Tequlia sunrise".

Blue burst is still on the radar. I really want the quilt maple top to have a water-like look, so trying to stay with turquoise/blue.

I would go with the turquoise dye on the maple rather than the trans turquoise; it will bring out the grain better

ragamuffin said:
I would go with the turquoise dye on the maple rather than the trans turquoise; it will bring out the grain better

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning heavy that direction. Seems like the dyes are darker at the edges, so thinking masked edge with the darker roasted ash body in transparent turquoise could look good.

ragamuffin said:

So I have just discovered Washed Blue Dye and think that could look really nice as well. Washed Blue Dye Maple Top, Burst-Over to Transparent Blue White Korina Back. Or Turquoise Dye Maple Top, Burst-Over to Transparent Turquoise White Korina Back.

I chatted with Warmoth customer support and it sounds like with a dye top finish, choosing a burst-over on the back finish has the dark edges of the top dye finish wrap around the sides, so that might look good without any masked edge.

Dyes on figured woods are more intense than transparent.
Regardless of your body (not top wood) I’d go transparent.  Go dyed for you top.
Actually Turquoise dye on a quilt maple over say a clear or amber tint on toasted swamp ash would look good.

You need a book with lots of pictures to get ideas.  I can recommend 1001 guitars to play before you die and the PRs book since your interested dyes.  You can get them used for cheap

Might be a little late, but here's a Quilt over Black Korina body with Aqua Marine dye and a clean line to clear back.

Attachments

• 0521210905a.jpg
    0521210905a.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 45
Wolff05 said:
Might be a little late, but here's a Quilt over Black Korina body with Aqua Marine dye and a clean line to clear back.
Care to share the item number of that? I have a CC that is feeling unappreciated LOL

TBurst Std said:
Wolff05 said:
Care to share the item number of that? I have a CC that is feeling unappreciated LOL

This was a custom order that I took of shot of while it was on the shipping table. But you can always order your own!

AFAIK, "White korina" is the same wood as "black korina", except they exclude the parts with black grain and mineral streaking.

I'm curious to see how it matches, but if I was choosing for myself I would get the Korina and choose a different finish like "Blue burst" or "Tequlia sunrise".
I like the blue burst

Thanks for the update. The colours seem to have come out well. Is the pickguard a Warmoth one?

The pickguard is Warmoth Vintage Pearl.

I'm happy with the colors, the turquoise dye finish is a bit more green than the stock image shown by Warmoth, I adjusted my camera to make sure the picture looks close to like my eyes see it.

Back