Tele with an identity crisis.

Nice lookin' Tele.  I love the clean look!!!    :headbang:

Warning, Warning, Warning; Beware of the cats!  They have been seen hangin' with this gang.  Can mean nothing but trouble. :evil4: :evil4: :evil4:

060529_cats.jpg

:rock-on:

My wife likes to read...a lot, and we have cats.  When I die, and the odds are I'll go first, I tease her that she will be one of those old ladies with a bunch of cats and books.  Coincidentally, do you know why women live longer men?  Because men are married to women.

P1060110.jpg

Okay, got the neck.  Wow!  The birdseye is brilliant and 3 dimensional looking.  The wife left the camera at work otherwise it would be up.  BTW, the neck was over a month early!  Way to go guys.  The tuner holes were a little smaller, as I purposely ordered them small because I didn't yet have the tuners.  No problem, a uni-bit and 25/64ths drill bit fixed me right up.  Also, I dremmeled the Glendale bridge a bit to accept the non-oversized EMG bridge pickup (still irritated about that Glendale!).  The parts are going together with the precision of a Swiss time piece.  I outsourced a Fender Telecaster headstock logo and "F" neckplate (sorry Doug).  All that's left is the wiring, nut filing - it is no doubt a little high, truss rod adjustment, and intonation.  The fret dressing is superb, no rough or sharp edges at all.  Since the neck is all maple, the (satin) finish is applied throughout.  However, the finish appears so thin, I wondered if it even had one.  When/if i take it in for fret leveling, I'll have it taken off of the frets.

probably have a few pics tomorrow.

Looking great! For the switching option, maybe have an on/off/on switch between the two pots, so you can do middle mixed with whatever is coming off the main switch / middle off / middle only?

tfarny said:
Looking great! For the switching option, maybe have an on/off/on switch between the two pots, so you can do middle mixed with whatever is coming off the main switch / middle off / middle only?

It's gonna have a Strat 5-way, and each pot is already taken with a push/pull.  I thought about a mini-toggle for the neck pickup to bypass the switch so it could be used with the bridge pickup or all 3 on together but opted against it.  It's gonna have so many pickup combos anyway, and I didn't want to clutter it up with more switches.

NonsenseTele said:
What problem did you have with the Glendale?

I bought it at the guitar show in Dallas from the man himself.  A week later, I get around to putting the pickup in it.  It doesn't fit.  I can get the treble or bass side in, but not both.  Upon further inspection, the radius of the stamp or cut is less than perfect, making the treble to bass side measurements of the pickup hole shorter.  I called him.  He remembered me.  I said it might work with a "normal" Tele pickup that has the coil exposed around the bobbin, because it's indented.  The whole pickup isn't necesarily the same perimeter size as the plastic on top.  On the EMG this isn't the case.  The pickup housing is the same size all the way around as the top most part.  He said, "Well, I'm not familiar with that pickup.  Is it oversized?"  I said no it wasn't.  Infact, it fits in my Fender bridge, my Allparts bridge, a cheap Wilkinson bridge, but not yours.  He insisted the parts he sold were good.  If I was unhappy I could return it for refund minus the 10% restocking fee.  I said I wouldn't be returning it because I didn't like it, but instead my pickup does not fit (but fits in everything else somehow).  He gave me a Luthier's number, but I wasn't about to spend more money on a bridge that shouldn't require modification.  Anywho, it almost took longer to type this response than it did to fix it.  If anyone's on the fence about Glendale, they make good stuff, and I'm probably the exception and not the rule.  I just thought he should have exchanged it, because I thought mine was defective.  Surely he wasn't $80 away from chapter 11.  Besides, that may be the last $80 he gets from me.  Not good business IMO, especially to someone who's met him a few times and gone to see him play.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
NonsenseTele said:
What problem did you have with the Glendale?

I bought it at the guitar show in Dallas from the man himself.  A week later, I get around to putting the pickup in it.  It doesn't fit.  I can get the treble or bass side in, but not both.  Upon further inspection, the radius of the stamp or cut is less than perfect, making the treble to bass side measurements of the pickup hole shorter.  I called him.  He remembered me.  I said it might work with a "normal" Tele pickup that has the coil exposed around the bobbin, because it's indented.  The whole pickup isn't necesarily the same perimeter size as the plastic on top.  On the EMG this isn't the case.  The pickup housing is the same size all the way around as the top most part.  He said, "Well, I'm not familiar with that pickup.  Is it oversized?"  I said no it wasn't.  Infact, it fits in my Fender bridge, my Allparts bridge, a cheap Wilkinson bridge, but not yours.  He insisted the parts he sold were good.  If I was unhappy I could return it for refund minus the 10% restocking fee.  I said I wouldn't be returning it because I didn't like it, but instead my pickup does not fit (but fits in everything else somehow).  He gave me a Luthier's number, but I wasn't about to spend more money on a bridge that shouldn't require modification.  Anywho, it almost took longer to type this response than it did to fix it.  If anyone's on the fence about Glendale, they make good stuff, and I'm probably the exception and not the rule.  I just thought he should have exchanged it, because I thought mine was defective.  Surely he wasn't $80 away from chapter 11.  Besides, that may be the last $80 he gets from me.  Not good business IMO, especially to someone who's met him a few times and gone to see him play.
Bad customer service isn't good for the rep, I tend not to buy stuff from people like that. If I buy something once and they don't try to resolve the issue, I won't get burned again by their crappy service or their crappy products...

I had no problem with the bridge I bought from him, but my pickup was the traditional...

But I think this was just stupid from his part...

DangerousR6 said:
Bad customer service isn't good for the rep, I tend not to buy stuff from people like that. If I buy something once and they don't try to resolve the issue, I won't get burned again by their crappy service or their crappy products...

Well, rather than use this forum to bash Glendale, there are plenty of people on this forum alone that have had pleasant experiences with their stuff.  I'll just treat it as an isolated incident.  Even from the conversation I had with him, he's not used to Glendale stuff not doing the job.  In the end I made it work and I think I'll be very happy.

Seconds on that WOW WOW WOW!!!  :headbang1:
I have always been more of a Strat man; but you are changin' my ways.  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
Nice clean look & that neck does not get any better!
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

this is one of the sweetest tele's that I've seen here. Way to be original. I love the birdseye maple neck. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I'm really enjoying the stealth factor on that.  I had the pic up on my screen when I left the room, and when I got back it looked like a classic Tele from a distance.  Those EMG's blend in well.  :headbang1:

Bitchin' Gary, I was wondering if you were going to use the lefty bridge....I like that aloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.... :icon_thumright:

Back