tele, strat, jag pickups

vtpcnk

are a standard tele's pickups different from a strat?

if so how?

and how about a jaguar's pickups in comparison to a strat or a tele? how different is it?

appreciate the feedback.

Don't quote me on this but I think tele pickups are a bit brighter than Strat. And I'm not sure but I believe Jag pups are slightly overwound, because I use .12 strings and get some definate SRV tones out of my Jag, very nice sounding pickups (to me)

BUT then again, I could just be insane  :icon_jokercolor:

The Tele pickups were Leo's first pickup incarnation (actually the bridge pickup was the same as used on his first lap steels--it just had a different bottom plate). The neck pickup, from what I know, was arranged to sit perpendicular to the strings, and had a nickel cover over it. Contrary to popular belief, the Tele neck pickup is not a lipstick tube, which were the pickups made famous by Nathan Daniel and Danelectro. There is a lot less wire in a neck pickup on a Tele, which never gave it nearly the output that the bridge pickup had.

The Stratocaster has identical pickups in all three spots--the only difference is that the bridge pickup has a little more space between the pole pieces, to accomodate being on an angle.

The Jaguar is a beast within itself. The Jag has a base all its own, with the connector wires extending at the ends of the coil, instead of meeting in the middle and being pushed down, like a Strat. I assume this was to help wire the Jag up with all the added circuitry Leo slapped on the Jag. The pickups are also wound hotter than a Strat coming out of the factory. This was due to the genre of the music being played with the Jag. All of the gizmos on it don't really allow you to play much other than surf or a little country on it. Whereas a Strat, on the other hand, was intended for honky tonk music, but was also universal enough to be played by jazz and blues musicians.

Back