Tele Red & Black Attack!!

On the contrary, they do have a tele humbucker bridge that does fit. The billy Gibbons one had the same options as the Babicz that's on my Gibson, so that is why I purchased it.
This would have made my life alot easier (and less expensive)

Attachments

• tele bridge.jpg
    tele bridge.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 5
Yes, the Z series is more likely a closer fit but the Gibbons one I did wonder about. The important thing will be that it lines up with the humbucker position and will intonate which it looks like it will.

I see you plan on using three pots for your build. I love the look and the wiring options are virtually endless.

One suggestion is to use mini pots. Those Tele cavities are so tight your wiring will need to be very crisp. Mini pots make the work much easier. I really like Alpha minis,  and Bournes makes some nice ones too.

Side note. I think the no pick guard look is amazing. Let those flames blaze!

thanks for the advice with the alpha minis! That was a consideration after I realized my favorite tone caps are friggin' huge!! Regular tele setup (2 knobs) simply face each other, so this is my second challenge (next to fitting the bridge). Already a fun project!!

As for the pick guard, I agree the flame is sexy as hell, but to show some contrast, I may go black but with a smaller custom pickguard covering only the horn (lower right section)

Hopefully, if I can figure out how to post a poll, I'll let everyone vote on it!!

Appreciate all the input so far! this forum is awesome!!

I'll second the use of the minis. They should make fitting things in easier. Also, get grounding lugs to go under them so you don't have to solder to the back of the case, shortening the life of the pots if you get them too hot.

RQscmRL.jpg

Awesome builders!! Thanks!!

Alpha mini pots and solder lugs on order!!

I'm going with a black control plate. I tried to remove the chrome with Sodium Hydroxide forgetting it's an aluminum control plate lol

Another one on order!! lol

Attachments

• 20200729_133416.jpg
    20200729_133416.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 10
The Deacon said:
Awesome builders!! Thanks!!

Alpha mini pots and solder lugs on order!!

I'm going with a black control plate. I tried to remove the chrome with Sodium Hydroxide forgetting it's an aluminum control plate lol

Another one on order!! lol

If you could encase that control plate in clear resin or something it might look kinda cool.

Holy crap, I'm going to do it!!
I ordered another control plate so I'll mold it as soon as it arrives. I could then make custom plates of any color, type, etc. but I'll do what's left first.
Clear though? or mix a little red and/or black dust in the resin?

well, since I still need a full cover plate, I decided to mold one. This way I can make several different colors, swirls, effects etc. and pick witch one I like. I can also put that destroyed, or antiquated one, inside a clear mold for a "decaying cavity" look.
1. Frame the piece
2. Calculate and measure the mix
3. Mix thoroughly
4. Wait, wait, wait....

Attachments

• Custom Control Plate.jpg
    Custom Control Plate.jpg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 14
Turned out more purple I think. Expensive mistake, but sometimes you do things right, and sometimes you learn. Since I only have one mold, I'm gonna see how this one turned out.

Attachments

• 20200805_100305.jpg
    20200805_100305.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200805_101255.jpg
    20200805_101255.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 9
I guess red powder turns pink and mixing with black makes purple.

Fresh out of the mold, knobs came out great, if you like the purple sparkle look. I plan on making the pickguard look like the bridge pickup now that I see how the liquid red came out.

Attachments

• Control Plate trial.jpg
    Control Plate trial.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 13
Well, with a mix of unfortunate events, this will be my new neck. Another 'Showcase' neck which I believe will add more to the color matching of "Red and Black" with the flat black headstock which I may nitro later, and the black dot inlay. Another beautiful skilled craftsmanship that you'd expect from Warmoth!!
The headstock decal was acquired from "Tampa Bay Decals"
More to come!!

Attachments

• New Neck Post.jpg
    New Neck Post.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 8
As for the control plate, I went with this red and black powdercoat. Now I'm contemplating doing the base of the Babicz and the neck pickup ring the same way? Too much? Please let me know!!

Attachments

• Control Plate powdercoated.jpg
    Control Plate powdercoated.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 8
  • coat up close.jpg
    coat up close.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 4
Welp, just waiting on knobs!! I'm thinking I'll enter it into this months contest. Until my custom knobs come in, what should I go with? Chrome to even out the colors? Red? 80's Fluorescent orange???

Attachments

• Almost!!.jpg
    Almost!!.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 14
Huge shout out to Danny D's Guitar Hacienda in League City, TX and the technical expertise of both Pete and Danny for my setups!! I've bringing them work for years and plan on continuing!! If you are ever in the Houston area, make the trip down to Danny D's!!! :headbanging:

Back