Tele humbucker bridge mod

Pelagaard

Leaving aesthetics out of the discussion, is there any reason why this bridge couldn't be used with the saddles from this bridge?  Obviously either holes or notches would need to be made in the backside for the top-load strings, but does anyone see any other possible issues?

I believe it can be done - this guy has used something that looks like the Gotoh baseplate but I think there may be issues with the string-through holes being in the wrong place so you may have to drill new ones of those as well. Try a site search on tdpri.com - loads of threads about 12s on there.

How can you not have a discussion about tele bridges and not discuss aesthetics?

Pelagaard said:
Leaving aesthetics out of the discussion, is there any reason why this bridge couldn't be used with the saddles from this bridge?  Obviously either holes or notches would need to be made in the backside for the top-load strings, but does anyone see any other possible issues?

I looked up the detailed diagrams for both those bridges, and the saddle widths are the same (10.5mm), so you have room. The mounting holes are dramatically different, but I don't know if you need to worry about that. You'll have to drill new ones, but existing holes will be covered by the replacement bridge. But, finally, the string-thru holes are different. That may be a serious issue if there are holes in the body already.

It would be a new body, so I'd have it routed for the 12-string bridge.  That way, if the differences are too great, I can always fall back to using the bridge I know will work.

I don't know... have you looked at the diagrams?

Gotoh6StringFlatMount.jpg

Gotoh12StringFlatMount.jpg

The one on the left is the 6 string. The string holes are all in a line. The string holes on the 12 string (right drawing) are staggered a bit. My guess would be you can use or or the other. Because of the proximity, there's no way to re-drill the string holes in the body. You sorta have to commit.

Just get Doug to route machine a slot (in the bottom plate of the bridge) where the holes are, and put in top mount ferrules on the guitar.  Well, that is what I'd do..
Patrick

looks like the 6-string intonation screws are in the center of the saddles, and the 12-string intonation screws are on the right side of the saddles... will the 12-string saddles align properly on the 6-string bridge plate, or will they be shifted too far left?

Back