TeBowie

I think this 9ers Giants game is going to kick ass.
Tebow - we'll see. Stub you make good points, but the skill set is pretty different between college and pros, and lots of college greats wash out pretty quickly in the pros, and lots of college "meh" players do amazingly well. Dennis Dixon, a few years ago at Oregon, was a Heisman favorite, brilliant, master of the spread at Qb, nothing but win, till he screwed his knee - can't get off the bench in the pros, and Tom Brady was a 7th round draft pick. It's pretty hard to know.

tfarny said:
Tebow - we'll see. Stub you make good points, but the skill set is pretty different between college and pros, and lots of college greats wash out pretty quickly in the pros, and lots of college "meh" players do amazingly well. Dennis Dixon, a few years ago at Oregon, was a Heisman favorite, brilliant, master of the spread at Qb, nothing but win, till he screwed his knee - can't get off the bench in the pros, and Tom Brady was a 7th round draft pick. It's pretty hard to know.

Heisman winners have been total busts within the past years.  In fact, I can't remember a Heisman winner doing anything since Bo Jackson, who still holds some rookie records.

This is what the original post was about.  :icon_jokercolor:

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/jimmy-fallon-tebow-bowie-tebowie-20120113

Bo Jackson wasn't that great. I'm pretty sure he only played half his rookie season because of baseball. I don't think he even has 3000 career yards. T.D. went over 2000 in one season. The only thing note worthy about Bo that I can remember on the football field is when he ran all over Seattle and ran over The Boz.  I don't think Bo has any rookie records. There might be something out of that game but that's all.

Death by Uberschall said:
This is what the original post was about.  :icon_jokercolor:

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/jimmy-fallon-tebow-bowie-tebowie-20120113
That's some funny shyt rit thar, I don't care who you are, that's was funny.. :laughing11:

Daze of October said:
tfarny said:

Heisman winners have been total busts within the past years.  In fact, I can't remember a Heisman winner doing anything since Bo Jackson, who still holds some rookie records.
Pfffffft, whatever...Ever heard of Tony Dorsett.
"Tony went to the Dallas Cowboys for the 1977 season starting in the backfield under the 1963 Heisman winner Roger Staubach. In 1977, he was named "Rookie of the Year" and played in the Super Bowl"

pabloman said:
Bo Jackson wasn't that great. I'm pretty sure he only played half his rookie season because of baseball. I don't think he even has 3000 career yards. T.D. went over 2000 in one season. The only thing note worthy about Bo that I can remember on the football field is when he ran all over Seattle and ran over The Boz.  I don't think Bo has any rookie records. There might be something out of that game but that's all.

Bo Jackson was destined for greatness but his career was cut very short by injuries.  It's pretty noteworthy that he ran over 2000 yards in a single season, because most running backs don't.  He wasn't in the league for more than a few years, at best.

DangerousR6 said:
Daze of October said:
tfarny said:

Pfffffft, whatever...Ever heard of Tony Dorsett.
"Tony went to the Dallas Cowboys for the 1977 season starting in the backfield under the 1963 Heisman winner Roger Staubach. In 1977, he was named "Rookie of the Year" and played in the Super Bowl"

"Pfft, whatever..."  I recall 1990 being a little later than 1977, but thanks...  :icon_scratch:

And there were a few people like Joe Namath and Joe Montana who were highly celebrated in college and managed to not bungle away their pro career.... ummm, didn't a guy named Roger Staubach win a Heisman? I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but... I know a few seemingly intelligent people who play golf - god knows why - and they insist that all else being equal, it's usually the smartest golfer who wins the most tournaments. Maybe not always innate IQ-smarts, but the ones who spend the most time and effort to learn every little thing.

"All else being equal" - which it never is perfectly, I'd guess that the smartest quarterbacks have the most consistent path of winning. I don't think that college in the past has been too concerned with selecting QB's who could master a complex playbook, check down to four receivers etc. That selection process used to only kick in at the NFL level, but now it's starting earlier.

Look at the coaches like Steve Spurrier and Pete Carroll who left college, went to coach pro football, and came back to college because the pro job is just too hard? But now the college coaches are getting burnt - Urban Meyer, poor Bobby Bowden was just too old to keep up because it's getting harder. So college was spitting up superb athletes who may or may not be smart, and there were plenty of smart ones who rode the bench for four years behind big dumb guys with a good long ball. The point is, I think Tebow is smarter & more tenacious than he looks. The best thing that may have happened to him was not winning the Heisman & national championships the second time around. And Brett Favre may have been the very last of the big dumb guys with a good long ball to succeed in the NFL.

StubHead said:
And there were a few people like Joe Namath and Joe Montana who were highly celebrated in college and managed to not bungle away their pro career.... ummm, didn't a guy named Roger Staubach win a Heisman? I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but... I know a few seemingly intelligent people who play golf - god knows why - and they insist that all else being equal, it's usually the smartest golfer who wins the most tournaments. Maybe not always innate IQ-smarts, but the ones who spend the most time and effort to learn every little thing.

"All else being equal" - which it never is perfectly, I'd guess that the smartest quarterbacks have the most consistent path of winning. I don't think that college in the past has been too concerned with selecting QB's who could master a complex playbook, check down to four receivers etc. That selection process used to only kick in at the NFL level, but now it's starting earlier.

Look at the coaches like Steve Spurrier and Pete Carroll who left college, went to coach pro football, and came back to college because the pro job is just too hard? But now the college coaches are getting burnt - Urban Meyer, poor Bobby Bowden was just too old to keep up because it's getting harder. So college was spitting up superb athletes who may or may not be smart, and there were plenty of smart ones who rode the bench for four years behind big dumb guys with a good long ball. The point is, I think Tebow is smarter & more tenacious than he looks. The best thing that may have happened to him was not winning the Heisman & national championships the second time around. And Brett Favre may have been the very last of the big dumb guys with a good long ball to succeed in the NFL.

Brett Favre can't possibly be dumber than Ben Roethlisberger...and I'm a Steelers fan.  :toothy12:

Bo Jackson didn't rush for 2000 yards in a season. T.D. did. Terrell Davis. Bo Jackson only rushed for almost 2800 yards in 3 1/2 years. That's average for a decent back.

pabloman said:
Bo Jackson didn't rush for 2000 yards in a season. T.D. did. Terrell Davis. Bo Jackson only rushed for almost 2800 yards in 3 1/2 years. That's average for a decent back.

My bad, you're right, that was Terrell Davis...yet another great star's career cut short my injury.

Still, Bo Jackson still holds records.  The guy never even got a chance to get started...

The biggest problem in football these days is the fragility of ankles and knees when you pack 220, 250, 310 lbs. of meat up above them and tell it "run around." Especially, "bang into that 300 lb. load of meat as hard as you can." What with gene splicing on fruits and mice and pigs and all, I could see the day where you breed football players with elephant legs and rattlesnake hips - boy, you'd have something there.

:cool01:

pabloman said:
Yes I know but as long as Tebow is in Denver Elway will have to groom him. We just need to sign Peyton Manning, grab a receiver, a good tight end and we'll be fine. We don't have much time left with Champ and Dawkins.
Oh yeah! Payton's in the house :headbang1:

pabloman said:
pabloman said:
Yes I know but as long as Tebow is in Denver Elway will have to groom him. We just need to sign Peyton Manning, grab a receiver, a good tight end and we'll be fine. We don't have much time left with Champ and Dawkins.
Oh yeah! Payton's in the house :headbang1:

Peyton ain't gonna do anything but warm the bench after he hurts himself during the preseason.  :cool01:

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I've heard of him.  I think he's Eli's older brother.

Who's Eli?  Oh yeah, he's that Peyton Manning guy's younger brother who's won more Super Bowls than his All-Star brother, yet never gets any respect.  :doh:

Daze of October said:

Who's Eli?  Oh yeah, he's that Peyton Manning guy's younger brother who's won more Super Bowls than his All-Star brother, yet never gets any respect.  :doh:

Pssh, who needs respect with a wife like that. Hot damn.

JaySwear said:
Daze of October said:

You make a very good point.

Daze of October said:
JaySwear said:
Daze of October said:

You make a very good point.

Addes solely for reference reasons......

36th+Film+Society+Lincoln+Center+Gala+Tribute+uovkOHNc_Ipl.jpg

I gotta admit, for being the Prince Harry of the NFL, he married up pretty well!

Here's my take on Tim Tebow. Sure, he's a polarizing individual--the women like him because he's good looking, and the "comfort food" zone of the country likes him because he's wholesome. As a personality, he has it. As a football player, maybe not so much. Played in and was, what seems, hard-wired to lead and run an unconventional offense. I think he's mis-marked to tell you the truth. When I look at Tim Tebow, I honestly see someone who reminds me of another Heisman Trophy winning quarterback, who was a high draft pick, and was a bit of a mis-matched QB at Notre Dame. If you don't know your football history, look up the name Paul Hornung. Highly talented as a passer, runner, kicker, blocker and tackler, nobody really knew what to do with him because he wasn't really that great of a quarterback. It was Vince Lombardi who turned him into one of the best short-yardage running backs in the history of the NFL. To me, this is the answer. We know Tim can run--no doubt on that. He can throw, which could be handy in a trick-play halfback option. What I feel someone needs to do is work on his tackling, receiving, and blocking fundamentals, and you have a leaner and more elusive fullback, like Franco Harris, or you have a beefier halfback, like Jerome Bettis. If he can catch, it's possible he could be a leaner tight-end, much like Shannon Sharpe was. There's use for the guy aside from his popularity. I just think it takes someone to be willing to experiment on him. We may be seeing the next "Golden Boy" if someone works with him. The only thing he may not be able to do due to his wholesomeness is match Hornung for his off-the-field antics. Before Joe Namath, Paul was the NFL's ladies' man, stating to "never get married in the morning because you don't know who you'll meet later that night!"

Back