TeBowie

StubHead said:
Didn't they used to love Jesus in Dallas? :evil4:

Yeah, up until he let Kennedy get his brains splattered all over that nice car's back seat. I mean, the guy was a catlick, fer crissakes!

So what do you guys think of the trade so far? Peytons been rocked a few times and seems ok. His arm strength seems to have improved. For a while there he looked an awful lot like Kyle Orton.

Peyton wasn't a trade.

As far as Tebow, at this point it's all but certain Jets don't want him, and I'm sure Tebow would be happy to go. I don't see anyone paying him $2.6m next year so that likely kills a trade. Basically NYJ blew a little cap space this year and a mid-round pick is all, I'm sure they sold their fair share of Tebow jerseys.

He'll find work. But like I said in April, not long before he's a #3. The fact that he's a #3 in the Jets weak QB group tells you what you need to know. Now someone else is going to give him a roster spot and maybe he bounces around for a bit in the league, but I think it's waste of time at least as far as the QB position goes. I'm all for thinking outside the box but his skill set isn't remotely what is needed in today's football. Nice guy but he was born about a century too late. Or maybe even earlier, before the forward pass was legal.

Of course Peyton was not a trade. Tebow was. I thought we all knew that. :dontknow: Anyway its been interesting for sure. I still think the Broncos offense isn't firing on all cylinders. I sure wish we could have played Atlanta, Houston and New England at this time of year. I think those games would have ended differently.

I think the consensus is Tebow sucks.  That said, he is probably an upgrade to what we have at QB in Minnesota.

crash said:
I think the consensus is Tebow sucks.  That said, he is probably an upgrade to what we have at QB in Minnesota.

28098224.jpg

I don't really follow football so I don't know what the standards are, but I doubt he'd have gotten to the place he did if he "sucked". He may not be the Ace, but at least he's in the deck, which I'm sure is very tough to do.

That said, he may have lost some brownie points by being a weirdo. Unusual talent is valuable, but if it has a negative impact on the team or its earning potential, then that has to be taken into consideration. May need extra talent to compensate.

I seem to remember tebow had a pretty good season last year and got a lot of fans nationwide watching and rooting for the Broncos,

He would be better today if the jets had been playing him more, 3-4 plays a game is not enough to get into any kinda rythem. He reminds of Doug Flutie who was good, but always a backup to some QB that couldn't cut it, he made a career of saving the day.

Someone on page one said Payton Manning was done washed up has been, He's having one of his best seasons of his career.

The "Great Ones" always find a way to Muster their skills, tallent, and pure will, when needed

Cagey said:
I don't really follow football so I don't know what the standards are, but I doubt he'd have gotten to the place he did if he "sucked".

He was one of the best college players of all time. His skill set works great in college ball.

The problem is NFL football isn't just college football with paychecks, especially for certain positions, QB being one. In college, Tebow could run at will and with his build (more like a fullback than a pro QB) he could run over college defenders. That tactic isn't effective in pro ball for lots of reasons, for one, the linebackers defending the run are much faster and bigger. They won't be run over the way some random skinny defender from Butt State will, and defensive lines keep gaps much smaller.

Also the nature of passes are different in a spread offense vs. a pro style. Tebow was a very efficient passer in college stats-wise, but that hasn't translated because... you just have to watch the guy. His wind up with the ball takes forever before throwing and his mechanics are high school style. Even during the Broncos' win streak his throwing was legendarily abysmal, and even then there were a high percentage of dump-off tosses and screens which are comfortable, high-percentage passes that are easy to make. 

Because of all of that, and all of the rule changes they've implemented to favor NFL receivers and QBs, passing is the most efficient means of advancing the football in the pro game. An NFL QB needs to be effective passing or the team will be unable to leverage their skilled receivers and spread defenses out (to have room to work and make them defend a bigger area). And when not threatened by the pass, defenses move more players into the box and jam up the run game further. He's horribly inaccurate and slow to throw, and despite his running awesomeness in college ball he's turns the ball over too much running in the opportunities he's had.

What really got him where he is today was Josh McDaniels' horrible draft pick. At best he was a huge project pick you'd spend a 5th on, maybe a 4th if your board is dry. Last year he had a stretch where the Broncos won games, but in nearly all games the defense should get that credit.  Denver scored 13 and 18 points per game in 6 of the 8 Tebow-led wins, including defensive and special teams scores that he had nothing to do with. His best game was probably the win versus the Steelers, where he completed all of 10 passes. And after the win streak ended and the defense slowed down, they lost 4 of their last 5 with him where he was a turnover machine - people forget that part.

He came into this year with the Jets a 2-year vet with starting experience, and looked atrocious in preseason, even against scrubs and camp bodies. I've seen zero development of his QB skills in 3 years and he hasn't played any other positions. Broncos didn't compound their mistake and let him go, now the Jets will, and I guess he's off to Jacksonville to sell a few seats on his way to the CFL. 

A shorter way of saying all that is that he's basically an ideal spread option college QB, which isn't at all optimal for he NFL. Teams convert option guys all the time but they factor in measurables, ability to absorb more complex systems, and read more complex defenses (progressions are easy when you just look at one guy and take off running if he's covered). And of course they look at whether QBs can throw the ball and all the mechanics of moving, throwing, etc. At this point I don't think he's any better a prospect than your typical late round QB.

PS - Jets starter today took 11 sacks. God might be angry at Tebow not starting.

Back