Switch problems

Seryaph

Hey all,

You may remember me from the Volume Issue thread. Same guitar, same wiring set up (Mike Richardson's Strat Mod).

So I finally was able to fix the volume issue. Turns out I had connected one of the leads from the Push/Push switch to the grounded terminal instead of the hot one. However, now that I've fixed that, the Push/Push switch no longer works. It doesn't click or stay down when you push the button. Is there any way to repair that or is that just hopeful wishing?

Also, now the humming has increased significantly, and even worse, when the pickup selector goes to the middle position, if you jiggle it a little, the signal entirely drops out. Does anyone know if that deadspot means anything serious? Is it a short? I have an Allparts Super Switch. There is also some crackling sound switching between positions. Does that mean my switch is going out?

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

From what you've said it sounds like the push/pull switch is broken, which is probably causing the hummin

The push-push pot might have the knob set down too low on it, so it can't travel far enough to operate the switch mechanism. If it's a set-screw knob, loosen it up, back it off the shaft a smidge, then retighten and see if that takes care of it. If not, the pot may be damaged. If you've recently been soldering on it, especially if you've used a lightweight soldering iron, you may have melted or at least overheated and distorted some internal plastic part(s) that'll keep it from working now. Only solution is to replace it.

The selector switch may have suffered the same fate. You can only heat those things up just so much and for so long before they get mechanically distorted, which sometimes prevents them for working electrically.

Back