swapping necks. G&L Doheny with a Jazzmaster Warmouth neck?

I bought a nearly new G&L Doheny Tribute. .
Will Warmouth Jazzmaster neck fit in the pocket correctly? I realize holes will have to be drilled.
Would this be a major thing for a luthier? Because I don't think it makes sense to put $$$$ into fretwork on a Tribute (overseas factory) guitar.

The body and guts are fine and just what I need. Would anyone like to opine on this situation?

Thanks.

Richard

What I did with a reverend guitar was I sent an email asking about compatibility. Reverend confirmed but the holes were different.

So after you check the specs send g and l an email.

A G & L neck heel is wider than a Warmoth neck. It is incompatible and probably has also a full 22 fret neck with no overhang. There is a reason it is listed as incompatible.

A G & L neck heel is wider than a Warmoth neck. It is incompatible and probably has also a full 22 fret neck with no overhang. There is a reason it is listed as incompatible.

I don't know the answer to the OP's question, I don't doubt or question the facts you noted, and I'm not weighing in on that. However, I don't find the Warmoth incompatibility listing all that helpful or trustworthy because I know for fact it's a bit oversimplified in some places. For example, I've got an Ibanez JS1200 body with a Warmoth mooncaster neck on it, it's a perfect fit. I knew it would work because I tested it out using a Warmoth strat neck I already owned. Many older Ibanez guitars used a standard strat neck pocket (and the original Ibanez neck from that guitar fit perfectly onto a strat, it's not a matter of one-way compatiblity due to slightly different neck heel widths or the like).

This is why I believe it's oversimplified to simply list "Ibanez" as an incompatibility. Many, most, perhaps even all new Ibanez guitars would be incompatible, but certainly not all the Ibanez guitars out there in circulation. It makes me wonder how many other brands can be listed in their entirety as incompatible, given that "Ibanez" does not belong on the list in its entirety?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or ungrateful--I'm a happy Warmoth customer who appreciates the wealth of info they provide. I'm only suggesting that the incompatibility list is not entirely correct and shouldn't dissuade someone from checking measurements to see if a fit is possible despite what the list says.

@ruscio all good points which reinforce the point that no one can assume anything will just fit. In your case, you have tested something to establish whether something will fit.

With regard to the Known Incompatibility list, I do not work for Warmoth so am not in a position to make it more comprehensive, though I do not think I would want to.

The key takeaway I think is that unless your neck and body complies with more traditional Fender specs (which does not include all Fenders) assume it may not fit for various reasons, heel widths, neck to body angles, and also where along the scale length does the neck heel stop such as the G&L being a full 22 fret neck versus a Fender "21" fret neck with an overhang to accommodate the 22nd fret will not intonate in the respective neck pockets of each other's body even if the width was the same).

Back