Surprise Super Strat - First Warmoth build

That looks great, nice job!
I really like the choices you made - all black hardware, single knob, kill switch - very similar to a build I just did.
:icon_thumright:

Wow! That really pops. Nice job.

I think one of those passed me on the highway coming home a little while ago. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I'm already starting to toy with the idea of a second pickguard to swap in.

Higher output humbucker in the bridge (maybe a Custom Custom or an EVH Frankenstein), a pair of low output glassy single coils in the neck and middle (reverse slant like Jake E Lee), three-way switch (N, N+M, B), bridge volume (in Tone 1 position), neck+middle volume (in Tone 2 position). So something like this, with a second knob. If I really like it I'll pull those parts aside and reserve them for the dream Super Strat that this (and my Charvel build) were prototypes for.  :headbanging:

TheGreatRedDragon said:
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I'm already starting to toy with the idea of a second pickguard to swap in.

Higher output humbucker in the bridge (maybe a Custom Custom or an EVH Frankenstein), a pair of low output glassy single coils in the neck and middle (reverse slant like Jake E Lee), three-way switch (N, N+M, B), bridge volume (in Tone 1 position), neck+middle volume (in Tone 2 position). So something like this, with a second knob. If I really like it I'll pull those parts aside and reserve them for the dream Super Strat that this (and my Charvel build) were prototypes for.  :headbanging:
I wouldn't mix low-output single coils with high-output humbuckers. Too much of a volume drop when switching between the two. I would suggest the Dimarzio Injector as it is noiseless and hotter than a traditional single coil. I like the idea of the reverse slant.

Street Avenger said:
I wouldn't mix low-output single coils with high-output humbuckers. Too much of a volume drop when switching between the two. I would suggest the Dimarzio Injector as it is noiseless and hotter than a traditional single coil. I like the idea of the reverse slant.

Well the idea is just to use the neck and middle pickups for cleans. I'm not really interested in getting a singing lead tone out of a Strat neck pickup. On my Pauls I keep my neck volume down at 1 or 2 for cleans 90% of the time anyway.

TheGreatRedDragon said:
Street Avenger said:

Well the idea is just to use the neck and middle pickups for cleans. I'm not really interested in getting a singing lead tone out of a Strat neck pickup. On my Pauls I keep my neck volume down at 1 or 2 for cleans 90% of the time anyway.
What is it about the '78 that you're not happy with?

Street Avenger said:
TheGreatRedDragon said:
Street Avenger said:

What is it about the '78 that you're not happy with?

Absolutely nothing, the '78 does exactly what I want it to. I just want to experiment. And like I said, if the experiment is successful those guts will be moved into a different build and the '78 will be restored.

Back