"Surfing" with my first Warmoth

Cool, that's the thing with practice sometimes it's a lot of mileage but brings its rewards.

DocNrock said:
stratamania said:
Cool, that's the thing with practice sometimes it's a lot of mileage but brings its rewards.

Indeed, so true.

And sometimes the lightbulb goes off.  :sign13:

Why do the 4-3-4 slide on the D string when you can replace the 3 on the D string with the 8 on the A string?  Both are F, in the same octave.

And now at an honest 98%.

EDIT:  Make that 100%.  :toothy12:

It's funny.  Watching the video, it doesn't look that hard.  I have a long way to go to learn anything that is really difficult!  Ha!  Well, it was difficult for me.    :laughing7:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-VhyW--qXc[/youtube]

I'm waiting for you to start that whammy bar action. Gonna be interesting to see if you maintain your sanity, or just give up and sell all your gear  :laughing7:

Hi Doc, good move for that F note. I found this video for you where you can see quite a lot close up.

[youtube]tYThqD2pQbI[/youtube]

It looks like Joe is grabbing that F note with his pinky too. Seems to be a recurring type of move in a lot of his legato playing.

Cagey said:
I'm waiting for you to start that whammy bar action. Gonna be interesting to see if you maintain your sanity, or just give up and sell all your gear  :laughing7:

See below...  :toothy12:  Unless you mean the part in the second half of the song.  I haven't gotten there, yet, but I think (hope) I can get it. 

stratamania said:
Hi Doc, good move for that F note. I found this video for you where you can see quite a lot close up.

[youtube]tYThqD2pQbI[/youtube]

It looks like Joe is grabbing that F note with his pinky too. Seems to be a recurring type of move in a lot of his legato playing.

I agree, John.  Thank you for that.  I picked up on it when watching another one of his live "Surfing" performances. 

Solo 1, at 100%, with whammy bar.  After this, I really think I can learn the latter half. 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr39AoCKsiE[/youtube]

Or, if you are so inclined:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JMPIqLpvp4[/youtube]

stratamania said:
Result  :icon_thumright:

I think for the rest it's going to fall into place.

Thank you for the encouragement.  The latter part has some challenging licks, as well.  But nothing looks to be any more difficult than what I already learned, so, we'll see! 

You rock, John!  :icon_thumright:

Next section, at 2:39 to 2:51 is now giving me fits.  :laughing7:

I think it is 32nd notes.  :sad:

32nd notes are tough.

But hey, it could be worse:

faeries_aire_and_death_waltz.jpg

Well, now, waitaminnit... isn't that part where they "release the penguins" actually the chorus from Sabbath's "Children of the Grave"?

I'm thinking somebody's looking at a lawsuit. Big time.

:toothy12: Cagey - I think you might be right.

Lawsuit? I think John Stomp can sue the band Slipknot, since his composition is from 1980 and the band formed in 1995 ...  :laughing7:

(found above the last bar: "untie slip knot"  :icon_biggrin:)

Sorry, Doc ...
Back to the thread.
32nds might sound like a handful but given your excellent progress so far I have every confidence you will pull it off.  :icon_thumright:

Logrinn said:
:toothy12: Cagey - I think you might be right.

Lawsuit? I think John Stomp can sue the band Slipknot, since his composition is from 1980 and the band formed in 1995 ...  :laughing7:

(found above the last bar: "untie slip knot"  :icon_biggrin:)

Sorry, Doc ...
Back to the thread.
32nds might sound like a handful but given your excellent progress so far I have every confidence you will pull it off.  :icon_thumright:

No worries, Logrinn!  That was a great laugh!  Cagey focused in on the penguins, but I couldn't figure out where to comment!  :toothy12:

Appreciate the vote of confidence.  To my surprise, I have the first part of that section, from 2:39 to 2:46, up to 90%.  Funny when you calculate out 32nd notes at 168 bpm and convert to notes per second. 

EDIT:  never mind the 90%.  Videoed myself and realized I was off-rhythm because I was using economy picking.  I've always been strict alternate picking.  So, back to relearning it so my up and down with the pick gives the notes the appropriate accent.  Back to 50% ...  :laughing7:

Never mind the 32nd note comment.  I was confused by how the tab was written (Guitar Pro 5).  This section was tabbed as 16th note octuplets, which is incorrect and should be 32nd notes.  Actually, it is straight 16ths. 

This should be doable.  :icon_biggrin:

And if anyone is looking for a great fret-hand pinkie-finger drill, get the tab for this song and focus on the 2:39 to  2:46 section!

2:40 to 2:46...(wiping forehead)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmFyHCWjp_4[/youtube]

Damn. It almost hurts just to watch.

Now we're coming up on the fun part.

Back