"Surfing" with my first Warmoth

DocNrock

Master Member
If I can nail the next 15 seconds of this song, I might be able to learn the whole d@mn*d thing!  I never thought that would be possible.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN40xg7V-CQ[/youtube]

Wow, Doc, that is awesome. You make it so look easy!
Super cool.

Wouldn't be surprised if you're someday on stage with Satch playing duet. :eek:ccasion14:

fdesalvo said:

Ha!  No need to comment again, but thanks!  I got your intent with the  ":eek:ccasion14:"   

:icon_thumright:

stratamania said:
You can do it Doc :rock-on:

Thanks for the encouragement, John.  I occasionally get disheartened.  That is usually when I post something.  The next lick up to bat is tough, for me.  Isolate and practice, like the Morse video states.  Then to incorporate.

Logrinn said:
Wow, Doc, that is awesome. You make it so look easy!
Super cool.

Wouldn't be surprised if you're someday on stage with Satch playing duet. :eek:ccasion14:

Thank you, Logrinn.  I can assure you it has been anything but easy.  The video is the result of a LOT of practice and work on this. 

On stage with Satch...bwahahahaha!  But thank you.  :laughing7:

The next six seconds of this song is a real bi-atch!  I've got it up to 80%.  It makes my left hand cramp up, with the stretch and hammers/pulls.  One of these days it will hit 100%.  :toothy12:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEB8arrR-Ew[/youtube]

You've got a helluva bend in your left wrist, which isn't helping you. Consider what you're asking your flexor tendons to do. They're most likely what's bitching at you. It's difficult in practice, but ideally that wrist should be as nearly straight as you can get it.

Yes, that may indeed help. Drop the strap a bit so that the arm is more relaxed. Looking closely at the board is possibly contributing to this position.

Cagey said:
You've got a helluva bend in your left wrist, which isn't helping you. Consider what you're asking your flexor tendons to do. They're most likely what's bitching at you. It's difficult in practice, but ideally that wrist should be as nearly straight as you can get it.

stratamania said:
Yes, that may indeed help. Drop the strap a bit so that the arm is more relaxed. Looking closely at the board is possibly contributing to this position.

I will give those things a try.  I have relatively short fingers for my hand size, so the only way I have ever been able to get a stretch like that, from the 4th to the 8th frets, is with my wrist bent.  I do it without even thinking about it.

DocNrock said:
I do it without even thinking about it.

Everybody does. Kinda like the "flying pinky" many new players have. You have to consciously fight it, and unfortunately it takes a long time to overcome.

I wouldn't lengthen the strap or otherwise lower the guitar, though. That'll make it worse because you'll have to reach farther, and you're already fighting your reach. Usually, the sitting position is nearly perfect so you just have to work at keeping your wrist straight. Standing while playing is where many players have problems with reach because the instrument is invariably slung too low. Note that it's ok to turn your wrist so your palm is facing the guitar body more; it's the bending of the wrist that's the problem.

Of course, I'm as guilty as the next guy for doing what works because nothing succeeds like success. I'm just parroting what my first "real" guitar teacher drummed into my head 100 years ago (for a while he even had me wearing a wrist brace like bowlers use), and a subsequent teacher of similar talent harped on it as well. They were classically trained, and could do magical things with the instrument. But, even they'd admit that it's something you work toward while never really mastering because sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Thing is, if you don't work at breaking yourself of that habit, you can end up with problems later on that will prevent you from playing well, or even at all. Things like carpal tunnel syndrome or "trigger finger" can put you out of business.

Cagey said:
DocNrock said:
I do it without even thinking about it.

Everybody does. Kinda like the "flying pinky" many new players have. You have to consciously fight it, and unfortunately it takes a long time to overcome.

I wouldn't lengthen the strap or otherwise lower the guitar, though. That'll make it worse because you'll have to reach farther, and you're already fighting your reach. Usually, the sitting position is nearly perfect so you just have to work at keeping your wrist straight. Standing while playing is where many players have problems with reach because the instrument is invariably slung too low. Note that it's ok to turn your wrist so your palm is facing the guitar body more; it's the bending of the wrist that's the problem.

Of course, I'm as guilty as the next guy for doing what works because nothing succeeds like success. I'm just parroting what my first "real" guitar teacher drummed into my head 100 years ago (for a while he even had me wearing a wrist brace like bowlers use), and a subsequent teacher of similar talent harped on it as well. They were classically trained, and could do magical things with the instrument. But, even they'd admit that it's something you work toward while never really mastering because sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Thing is, if you don't work at breaking yourself of that habit, you can end up with problems later on that will prevent you from playing well, or even at all. Things like carpal tunnel syndrome or "trigger finger" can put you out of business.

Guilty of the "flying pinky," myself, but on that one I've been able to make some improvement.

That wrist brace is awesome!  NOT!  :laughing7:

I'll keep working on the wrist angle, but we'll see what happens.

On a different note, I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands for years.  Used to have to stop operating for a couple of minutes and stretch my wrists to get sensation back in my fingers.  Finally got both operated on back in 2013.  Wish I would have done it sooner!   

Kind of figured something out.  The hand cramps are just from working hand muscles I've not been used to working.  Happened with the earlier legato run, as well.  My focus needs to be on a lighter touch on the strings and just letting the hand intrinsics build strength and stamina.

Also, after hitting 80% speed, I'm increasing the speed by 2% at a time, instead of 5%.  Seems to be helping in keeping my left hand relaxed and maintaining a light touch on the strings.

DocNrock said:
The hand cramps are just from working hand muscles I've not been used to working.

There's always that, too. I remember being in a lotta pain when I was learning Satch's "Midnight" and "A Day at the Beach". Neither one is particularly demanding technically, but the large amount of hammering you do with your left hand on those tunes takes a toll.

stratamania said:
Good job, don't forget to rest them also if they need it.

Cagey said:
DocNrock said:
The hand cramps are just from working hand muscles I've not been used to working.

There's always that, too. I remember being in a lotta pain when I was learning Satch's "Midnight" and "A Day at the Beach". Neither one is particularly demanding technically, but the large amount of hammering you do with your left hand on those tunes takes a toll.

Indeed.  I rested yesterday after hitting 80%.  Today, I've hit an honest 90% and my left hand has not started cramping. 

I realized I had a death-grip on the neck and strings on my index finger when doing the 4-3-4 slide (three times in the lick).  That is what was killing my left hand. 

An honest 90%:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCgtCg3rpQs[/youtube]

EDIT:  About 20 minutes after this, going at 1% at a time, it is at 95%.  :toothy12:

Back